Stay on waitlist just to see if I get offer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
corporatelaw87

Stay on waitlist just to see if I get offer

Postby corporatelaw87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 pm

So I am pretty committed to the school I currently put a seat deposit in for. I was waitlisted at a school that is better ranked, by about 10 spots. While I am not sure I want to attend the school I am waitlisted at, I am curious to see if they eventually offer me admission. Is this ok? The only reason I would feel bad doing this is because if the school only takes a set number of people off a waitlist, and I get in, then withdraw my offer. This would not let somebody else attend.

D. H2Oman

Re: Stay on waitlist just to see if I get offer

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:The only reason I would feel bad doing this is because if the school only takes a set number of people off a waitlist, and I get in, then withdraw my offer. This would not let somebody else attend.

?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 pm

If you don't want to go, don't stay on the waitlist.

steven3579

Postby steven3579 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:32 pm

If the schools are outside the top14 then the difference in rank is insignificant. I would focus on the region that you most want to practice in when deciding between the two schools.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 pm

It may not make much difference depending upon the law schools in question as some law schools may look for signs of continued interest beyond accepting a spot on the waitlist before offering admission to a waitlisted student. Are you willing to share the names of each law school?
Also may depend upon whether or not you are seeking financial aid.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:06 pm

The schools are in the same region in the Lower T2.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:08 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:So I am pretty committed to the school I currently put a seat deposit in for. I was waitlisted at a school that is better ranked, by about 10 spots. While I am not sure I want to attend the school I am waitlisted at, I am curious to see if they eventually offer me admission. Is this ok? The only reason I would feel bad doing this is because if the school only takes a set number of people off a waitlist, and I get in, then withdraw my offer. This would not let somebody else attend.

LS: "Congrats! You're in!"
You: "No thanks. I'm going elsewhere."

(*LS looks at the next applicant on the waitlist*)

LS: "Congrats! You're in!"
Next Applicant: "See you in the fall!"

Your decision to say no will not affect another student's ability to get in. It might result in them getting notification a few days later, but I doubt it really will make any difference at all.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:Your decision to say no will not affect another student's ability to get in. It might result in them getting notification a few days later, but I doubt it really will make any difference at all.

Who knows, you may even change your mind about which school you will attend. I would say don't shut doors unless you are absolutely definite that you will not ever attend.

hannibalhamlin61

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:17 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:The schools are in the same region in the Lower T2.

I'm guessing this region is NY?

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 pm

My vote is to withdraw from the waitlist. If you won't go there if you're accepted, stop wasting everyones time and just withdraw. There are people who really want that spot, and it's not right for you to take it up just to see if you'll be accepted.

On a side note, admissions committees don't simply say "congrats you're in!" to the first person that pops up on their waitlist. They will never say it, but a lot of law schools rank waitlisted members/use other methods, and often admissions commitees go through the whole process of reviewing your application before they send out the final letter. Save them the trouble/time, too.

Even if they did just choose kids right off the waitlist without reviewing their credentials at random, their waitlist is a specific size (has a max number of people they put on it). By you staying on the waitlist, you may cause the adcom to not be able to put someone else on the waitlist (who maybe applied later on and whose application they are now reviewing) who would really want to go to the school if accepted off it.
Last edited by icydash on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 pm

x

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm

x

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll withdraw now, after all they say curiosity killed the cat, best go with my gut which was the first choice.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, I'll withdraw now, after all they say curiosity killed the cat, best go with my gut which was the first choice.

i think you'll be happier and its def better karma.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 am

jtxcounitah wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, I'll withdraw now, after all they say curiosity killed the cat, best go with my gut which was the first choice.

i think you'll be happier and its def better karma.

+1. If your gut is pulling you one direction, it usually means that's the place you want to be. I think you'll be happiest if you follow your heart/gut.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”