What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey guys, what do you think is a good gift to get a female professor? She wrote me a LOR for law school and for a bunch of scholarship applications so I want to get something nice.

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby lawyering » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:25 pm

newyorker88 wrote:Hey guys, what do you think is a good gift to get a female professor? She wrote me a LOR for law school and for a bunch of scholarship applications so I want to get something nice.


I took another TLS poster's advice and asked my LOR recommenders what their favorite charity/non-profit was. Then I donated "in their honor", and they are notified of the donation. They were very appreciative.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Probably not a sex position handbook.

hth.

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby BigA » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:28 pm

lawyering wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Hey guys, what do you think is a good gift to get a female professor? She wrote me a LOR for law school and for a bunch of scholarship applications so I want to get something nice.


I took another TLS poster's advice and asked my LOR recommenders what their favorite charity/non-profit was. Then I donated "in their honor", and they are notified of the donation. They were very appreciative.


and if they don't have one?

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby onthecusp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

BigA wrote:
lawyering wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Hey guys, what do you think is a good gift to get a female professor? She wrote me a LOR for law school and for a bunch of scholarship applications so I want to get something nice.


I took another TLS poster's advice and asked my LOR recommenders what their favorite charity/non-profit was. Then I donated "in their honor", and they are notified of the donation. They were very appreciative.


and if they don't have one?


A bottle of wine in the $50-$150 range....depending on the school you got into.

User avatar
chanchito
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby chanchito » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 pm

lol there is always the Human Fund

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:06 pm

If that's a self-tar several things come to mind.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:If that's a self-tar several things come to mind.


If you're referring to me, no I'm not really Pauly D. you thought Pauly D would be on TLS lol?

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby vexion » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:46 pm

I got all of my LOR writers a king-sized Snickers bar. Gipped? Probably. Still, they seemed to like it.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby zozin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 pm

I bought one of my professors this: http://shopping.aol.com/1-800-baskets-t ... /746383585

He said it was inappropriate, since people shouldn't be giving LoR professors gifts... he gave me a gift card to the local bookstore in return. :oops:

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 pm

onthecusp wrote:
BigA wrote:
lawyering wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Hey guys, what do you think is a good gift to get a female professor? She wrote me a LOR for law school and for a bunch of scholarship applications so I want to get something nice.


I took another TLS poster's advice and asked my LOR recommenders what their favorite charity/non-profit was. Then I donated "in their honor", and they are notified of the donation. They were very appreciative.


and if they don't have one?


A bottle of wine in the $50-$150 range....depending on the school you got into.


Are you serious? I got my prof wine, and it was a highly rated one, but it was $20. I don't have that much money to be spending on wine...

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 pm

vexion wrote:I got all of my LOR writers a king-sized Snickers bar. Gipped? Probably. Still, they seemed to like it.


oooh chocolate's a good idea. I think i'll get a box of those little yellow things. I think they're called rocher or something like that. you guys don't think that's inappropiate do you?
Last edited by newyorker88 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

DELETED


Go big or go home.

/thread

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby onthecusp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
Are you serious? I got my prof wine, and it was a highly rated one, but it was $20. I don't have that much money to be spending on wine...


Nothing wrong with a solid $20 bottle of wine. They don't have to know how much it costs. However, if my LOR writers got me into HYS....$100+ :)

Therefore I rescind my former monetary range recommendation for this more feasible one:

$20-$50 for any school under HYS

SweeneyTodd
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

Re: What's a good gift to get a female LOR?

Postby SweeneyTodd » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm

I purchased $25.00 Starbucks gift cards for my LORs. (I happen to know they all frequent the place)




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: isuggestbedtime and 3 guests