Will contacting my dream school about my interest help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
perspective

Will contacting my dream school about my interest help?

Postby perspective » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Note- I haven't applied yet, but am trying to be proactive.

I would just like to begin by saying my dream school has always been Stanford. Something about the west coast attitude and community interest it seems to represent really does it for me. That being said here is my question:

Will contacting the admissions office help my chances? Is there any way that I can make a connection with someone there so that, when the time comes, I already have my "foot in the door"? I don't want to be pushy or desperate, but I want to develop a relationship somewhere there so I can make sure the fit is right for me.

If anyone goes to Stanford feel free to message me and we can talk.

Also as a side note, I have a question about GPA. I transferred schools and had a 3.96 at one and a 3.8ish at my current one. They average out to be a 3.90 (according to the 4.0 scale both of them use and taking into account the 3.6 for A-). How does the LSAC calculate the scores? Is it only changed if your school uses A+? Does my latter school count for more?

Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by perspective on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zozin

Re: Will contacting my dream school about my interest help?

Postby zozin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:59 pm

perspective wrote:I would just like to begin by saying my dream school has always been Stanford. Something about the west coast attitude and community interest it seems to represent really does it for me. That being said here is my question:

Will contacting the admissions office help my chances? Is there any way that I can make a connection with someone there so that, when the time comes, I already have my "foot in the door"? I don't want to be pushy or desperate, but I want to develop a relationship somewhere there so I can make sure the fit is right for me.

If anyone goes to Stanford feel free to message me and we can talk.

Also as a side note, I have a question about GPA. I transferred schools and had a 3.96 at one and a 3.8ish at my current one. They average out to be a 3.90 (according to the 4.0 scale both of them use and taking into account the 3.6 for A-). How does the LSAC calculate the scores? Is it only changed if your school uses A+? Does my latter school count for more?

Thanks for the advice!

LOCI

perspective

Postby perspective » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:09 pm

I could see sending an LOCI before applying. Thanks for the useful link, I will look over that book.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Ive wondered this same thing.. for the same school in fact. FWIW, I emailed Stanford to ask them if they make notations in the file that would indicate to and adcom that I had visited and they said no and added a comment about visits being more for the applicant.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”