Miami or NYLS if want to pursue career in NYC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dhg5004

Miami or NYLS if want to pursue career in NYC?

Postby dhg5004 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

The subject of the post pretty much explains it. I want to work in NYC after law school...but I know Miami to be ranked higher than NYLS...especially with the release of the new 2010 Law rankings Miami went up a lot. NYLS is just under rank 100. (and still known as a tier 3 school)

I know my discrepancy isn't between Harvard and Yale as many more people may believe to be more interesting...but I'm stuck between these 2 schools regardless.

Anyone have any advice for me?? NYLS I got some $$ Miami I didn't. I'm from PA and have a lot of friends in NYC and i just LOVE that city...but if Miami is a ton better.....?

I have also learned that Miami is a 'regional school' meaning it could be difficult to find work in NYC after graduating? With NYLS I feel as though it would be easier to find work in NYC?

Any thoughts? Please no overly-pessimistic people. That's the only type I seem to attract :-/

thank you!

booboo

Re: Miami or NYLS if want to pursue career in NYC?

Postby booboo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Both schools are not good choices for entry into the New York market.

Much of the New York market is already saturated with T14 students, followed by Fordham, Cardozo, St. John's, Hofstra, and this isn't including T15-30 schools that also send respectable amounts of students to New York.

At least with Miami, you have a legitimate chance of entering a secondary market, Miami.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Neither.

If you absolutely had to choose, though, obviously NYLS would be better since it is in New York City. Miami is good for Miami & South Florida.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Yeah, neither are great options.

NYLS is, in my opinion, one of the worst values in legal education (top 3 most expensive school + horrible placement). Fact of the matter is that NYC is a very cutthroat environment for law. If you don't make it into biglaw there, things are much more grim than for those who don't make it into biglaw elsewhere. It's just incredibally oversaturated. There is a good reason the vast majority of JD underground types are from NYC (and went to one of NYLS, Seton Hall, Pace, Hofstra, Dozo, Brooklyn, St. Johns).

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Come to Miami, enjoy the sunshine!!! But don't expect to be able to go back to NYC unless you're at the tippy-top of your class and have outside connections.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Miami.

Sun + Beaches + Cuban women = profit.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:25 pm

CMDantes wrote:Miami.

Sun + Beaches + Cuban women = profit.

This.

btw, 2010 US News Rankings?

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Much of the New York market is already saturated with T14 students, followed by Fordham, Cardozo, St. John's, Hofstra, and this isn't including T15-30 schools that also send respectable amounts of students to New York.

At least with Miami, you have a legitimate chance of entering a secondary market, Miami.

This is a load of crap lol. I know 6 people who went to NYLS in the past few years all have good jobs working in NYC. Salaries between 90-160 starting. If I read 1 more post from someone citing 'T14' I think i'm going to vomit. The amount of people who get into 'T14' is insanely small.

I love how people crap on NYLS just because it's not NYU/Columbia. People DO find jobs graduating from NYLS. The amount of pessimism on this site is nuts! I guess that's how most lawyers are though...

Thanks for all your posts but none of you were helpful.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 pm

dhg5004 wrote:

This is a load of crap lol. I know 6 people who went to NYLS in the past few years all have good jobs working in NYC. Salaries between 90-160 starting. If I read 1 more post from someone citing 'T14' I think i'm going to vomit. The amount of people who get into 'T14' is insanely small.

I love how people crap on NYLS just because it's not NYU/Columbia. People DO find jobs graduating from NYLS. The amount of pessimism on this site is nuts! I guess that's how most lawyers are though...

Thanks for all your posts but none of you were helpful.

NYLS was placing less than 5% into large NYC firms (i.e. firms paying enough $$$ for you to even have a chance of paying back your loans while living anywhere near NYC), around 25% of the class was either victims of academic attrition, was unemployed after graduation, or working in "business" (Starbucks), and that was BEFORE the economy crashed.

Your chances of working in a large firm coming out of NYLS is probably around 2% or 3% at best, and your chance of finding a legal job by graduation is probably under 50%. You can make whatever inferences and choices you want to make, but you can't label us "pessimistic" for thinking those numbers are just shitty when they are, in cost-benefit terms.
Last edited by RVP11 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Neither put you in a good position to land a job in NYC. I know that's not what you want to hear but just being honest.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:15 pm

I love how people crap on NYLS just because it's not NYU/Columbia. People DO find jobs graduating from NYLS. The amount of pessimism on this site is nuts! I guess that's how most lawyers are though..

Simply put, you do not have a representative sample. The objective numbers point to the fact that a vanishingly small percentage of NYLS grads get jobs that pay 160k.

See e.g.: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
Still don't believe me? Go to nalpdirectory.com and search for NY firms that pay 100k+. All those firms will have an associate directory. Count up the number of associates from NYLS and compare that to the number of NYLS graduates.

People crap on NYLS because it has poor placement and very high tuition in a city with a high cost of living. This isn't about "T14 or bust" or any type of elitism. There are plenty of low-ranked law schools with brighter prospects than NYLS. Don't be hostile or assume we are being elitist just because we aren't telling you want you want to hear.
Last edited by nealric on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:15 pm

1 - Why post a question on a site named "top-law-schools" if you are averse to hearing people spew about "top law schools"? I think its par for the course that you will attract these types of responses along with more helpful ones.

2 - NYLS is not a great school - it is an average (maybe even good) school. Of your two choices you would have a better chance getting a NYC job coming out of NYLS than Miami, but the odds of you getting a great job are slim (you would have to be at the top of your class). I know a lot of NYLS grads who are unemployed or who have merely OK positions coming out of the school, nothing I would be happy with. But, if NY is your goal, NYLS is your better option, but just don't trick yourself into believing that it is a great option.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Bert wrote:2 - NYLS is not a great school - it is an average (maybe even good) school

What are you smoking? Must be good.

haleydee

Postby haleydee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 pm

i know someone who went to umiami, and now does legal work for the FBI in manhattan... so you arent necessarily stuck in florida..however it seems like youd be happier if you went to nyls and stayed in that area

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”