GMU vs. UConn

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gymnast0206

GMU vs. UConn

Postby Gymnast0206 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Just wondering what your opinion is on George Mason vs. Connecticut? Which one is better for job placement, better academcis?

patrickd139

Re: GMU vs. UConn

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:Just wondering what your opinion is on George Mason vs. Connecticut? Which one is better for job placement, better academcis?

IMHO: arguably laughable on both criteria. You'll need to be number one and then some to land an academic job. As for job placement, I'll answer your question in kind: do you want to work in the DC area or CT?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Wouldn't UConn be a better option since it doesn't really compete with anything in its home state? It's not like Yalies are hanging around. But Mason has a ton of other schools it competes with in the immediate vicinity, PLUS a ton of people from T14 schools gunning for D.C.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 am

kalvano wrote:Wouldn't UConn be a better option since it doesn't really compete with anything in its home state? It's not like Yalies are hanging around. But Mason has a ton of other schools it competes with in the immediate vicinity, PLUS a ton of people from T14 schools gunning for D.C.

Your statement appears to assume the OP wants to work in CT, or that there are as many available jobs/student in CT as DC. At the very least, it doesn't adjust for the size differential in the legal markets in question. Though GMU has many schools competing with it, UConn has the only school that matters conpeting with it.

Statistically, not the best idea to look at jobs in the aggregate. T14 notwithstanding, pick your region first, then law school.

ITT: go to UConn if you want to work in CT. GMU if you want DC.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Gymnast0206 wrote:Just wondering what your opinion is on George Mason vs. Connecticut? Which one is better for job placement, better academcis?

IMHO: arguably laughable on both criteria. You'll need to be number one and then some to land an academic job. As for job placement, I'll answer your question in kind: do you want to work in the DC area or CT?

You're laughable! OP meant academics in the sense of academic environment/experience, not "which one of these schools will land me an academic job??". It's obvious from the way he/she asks.
Reading comp FTL
Love Denny Crane though :P

OP --> They are both regional schools. UCONN if you want New England, Mason if you want Mid-Atlantic. Academically, you'll notice a heavy dose of conservatism at Mason and an equivalently heavy dose of liberalism at UCONN.

hth

EDIT: Sorry, I am NOT in a good mood tonight. I don't usually engage in TLS-style jeering.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:07 am

patrickd139 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Wouldn't UConn be a better option since it doesn't really compete with anything in its home state? It's not like Yalies are hanging around. But Mason has a ton of other schools it competes with in the immediate vicinity, PLUS a ton of people from T14 schools gunning for D.C.

Your statement appears to assume the OP wants to work in CT, or that there are as many available jobs/student in CT as DC. At the very least, it doesn't adjust for the size differential in the legal markets in question. Though GMU has many schools competing with it, UConn has the only school that matters conpeting with it.

Statistically, not the best idea to look at jobs in the aggregate. T14 notwithstanding, pick your region first, then law school.

ITT: go to UConn if you want to work in CT. GMU if you want DC.

Faulty assumption, I guess. I just assume anyone looking at UConn wants to work in CT / New England.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”