What LSAT score do I need? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Consultant

New

What LSAT score do I need?

Post by Consultant » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 am

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I was wondering if someone could help me answer a few questions about the admissions process.

Basically I would like to know what LSAT score I would likely need to get into top 14 schools, specifically UChicago, Penn, Northwestern, Columbia, and UCLA.

Here is my profile:

Desired practice:
1) M&A Law

Stats:
1) LSDAS GPA: 3.74, Honors Program, Magna Cum Laude
2) Major: Finance, Minor: Math. Several Philosophy and Legal theory courses
3) Small-mid size private university
4) Upward trend: 4.0 in final year
5) Graduated in three years

Other information:
1) By the time of application, will have 2 years of management consulting experience at a very well known consulting firm. Very solid reviews thus far, have been promoted.
2) College EC's: Honors fraternity, Debate team president(1 year), Board member of council that allocated funds to student clubs/activities
3) Jobs/Internships: Investment banking experience, Experience at a very large and well known financial regulatory body, Teaching assistant for a legal theory course

It would also be useful to know if graduating in 3 years and with less than 120 graded credits will hurt me(AP credit).

Finally, assuming I can crack 168-170 I would appreciate any recommendations of other schools I can apply to with good corporate law programs that could also give me funding.

Thank you.

kittenmittons

Silver

Re: What LSAT score do I need?

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 am

A 173 could put you in at all of those schools. It's good to set goals, but TCR is to score as high as you can.

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 am

170 should get you into the second half of the t-14, 173+ and you can start thinking about the top 7.

Consultant

New

Post by Consultant » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks.

Does anyone have any recommendations on perhaps top 20 schools with good M&A law programs that would give me some financial aid with a 170?

Also, does anyone think that graduating early may hurt my chances. Maybe the work experience will make up for it?

Thanks again to the people who replied.

Borachio05

New

Post by Borachio05 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Consultant wrote:Thanks.

Does anyone have any recommendations on perhaps top 20 schools with good M&A law programs that would give me some financial aid with a 170?

Also, does anyone think that graduating early may hurt my chances. Maybe the work experience will make up for it?

Thanks again to the people who replied.
I highly doubt they'll hold the fact that you graduated early against you, since you'll have already spent two years working hard out of school by the time they read your application. From what I've always heard, the general consensus is that some schools don't like to hire people straight out of UG...but that doesn't apply to you.

You've got a lot of potential. Kick ass on the LSAT and you'll be set. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 pm

There is really no such thing as an M&A program at a school and if there is firms that do meaningful M&A don't care about it. Go to the best school you get into.

Consultant

New

Post by Consultant » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I know there isn't an M&A specialty, but I have always heard that Columbia for instance excels at corporate law. I agree that you should just go to the best program you can get into, similar to an MBA that way.

Appreciate the thoughts. Now on to tackling the LSAT for the next year.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:31 pm

170 + your GPA puts you in a good spot for most of the schools. Columbia may require a 172 or so. I had a 171 3.5 and my cycle turned out great. Check profile for results.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 pm

170-174 would be your target.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”