Asking for LOR while currently enrolled in prof's class..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tttlllsss

Asking for LOR while currently enrolled in prof's class..

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:43 am

I go to a large public and I haven't had great interaction w/ any of my profs (classes were large/I never go to office hours), so I figured I'd ask 2 of my current profs for LORs since they will at least know who I am and remember my academic character. I've done great in other classes in past semesters, but these were mainly 200 students+ classes and I'm sure the prof doesn't know me at all.

When should I ask for these LORs? I want to get my apps out in early Sept, so of course it's better sooner than later. I'm a little hesitant about asking them, however, b/c I haven't even completed the course yet!

Should I jump the gun and ask them ASAP (I've done an OK job in these classes thus far)? Or should I hold it off until the classes are almost over (as summer approaches - early May)?

voice of reason

Re: Asking for LOR while currently enrolled in prof's class..

Postby voice of reason » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:22 am

Step 1 is to build a relationship with a prof so he or she can write an effective letter. Do not ask now; the profs have too little they can say about you before they've given you a grade.

You'd be better off working for a professor as a research assistant over the summer, or taking another class with the same prof over the summer (or both), to give the prof a good opportunity to get to know you better and thereby write a much more effective letter. Then ask in August. You don't need to ask months in advance. 1 month is fine for most profs.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:33 pm

I went to a HUGE public school, so I had a similar concern. I did two research assistant gigs one summer, plus I took a number of small classes over summer/winter breaks, so, by the time I was ready to ask for law school LORs, I had a good number of profs. to ask.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:40 pm

You might be surprised at profs. You may not know it, but they might remember you. If you did really well in a class, it can't hurt to ask them.

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Large public here, too. I asked one prof that I'd had for three classes and another that I'd had for two, but the TA for that class helped him write a more personal 'recollection'.
HTH.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”