anyone not have upward trend? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigA

Bronze

anyone not have upward trend?

Post by BigA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 pm

So it seems like anyone on this board with a lower GPA at least has an upward trend going for them. How about people without this? How screwed are we? I actually chose a major that as it turned out, I wasn't very good at. Should I address this in a PS/addendum or just kinda sidestep it? (At least I have several years since I've graduated college now)

lawduder

Bronze

Re: anyone not have upward trend?

Post by lawduder » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 pm

3.55 here and my GPA has no trend... it was all over the place based on what courses I was taking that semester. Pretty sure my best semester was last fall followed by spring of my freshman year.

edit: also, I don't think schools care about "upward GPA trends;" it's just something to make splitters feel better about themselves

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 pm

BigA wrote:So it seems like anyone on this board with a lower GPA at least has an upward trend going for them. How about people without this? How screwed are we? I actually chose a major that as it turned out, I wasn't very good at. Should I address this in a PS/addendum or just kinda sidestep it? (At least I have several years since I've graduated college now)
I had a downward trend. The trend only matters if your numbers aren't good overall. If your indexed numbers are in the bottom quarter, you'd better have some really good softs.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 pm

I would say address it (especially if you are several years out and have a legitimate argument that you are more mature/capable now). FWIW, I majored in a field in which I had absolutely no interest, and did about average work without really studying. My grades were all over the place with no trend. I prepared an addendum addressing my low GPA rather than letting adcom's assume anything about me. There was no sob story or excuses other than I fucked up back then because I wasn't interested, but I'm not that person any more. I definitely give the addendum credit for helping me get into some of my reaches, and getting waitlisted (as opposed to outright rejected) at others.

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:17 pm

consistent trend of < 3.0. I'm *hoping* to god adcomms acknowledge that I went to a Canadian school w/ a harsh c curve (as I've said in other threads, no one in my program is above a 3.5...and there's 2 people with a 3.5 out of 180 ppl). Hoping that working 60 hours a week will be a decent enough excuse for some of it. Even when I had 3 classes, my average was only a 3.0 which wasn't really out of the norm, so the consistency of my work schedule and consistency in grades might be a congruent excuse :( lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”