GPA Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bostonlawchick

GPA Question

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:31 am

If I'm looking to get into a T14, is there a huge difference between a 3.2 and a 3.3? I'm taking this stupid 100 level sociology class right now that I only signed up for to pad my GPA and it looks like I'm going to get a B. We just got our midterm back- no one got above a C in a 200 person lecture, and he won't scale the grade. Grr. Anyway... This class will probably be the difference between a 3.3 and a 3.2x for me. Should I drop it and save the hit to my already abysmal GPA? I have a history of withdrawals (all passing, no WF) in my first 3 years of UG for family reasons that I will address in an addendum. The last four semesters I have no withdrawals. I'm not sure if it's worth it to have another W for the bump up to a 3.3, since I will still be below 25ths everywhere I want to apply. I just feel like maybe the 3.3 looks a little better... it certainly makes me feel better, ha. Any advice would be appreciated.

shoop

Re: GPA Question

Postby shoop » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am

bostonlawchick wrote:If I'm looking to get into a T14, is there a huge difference between a 3.2 and a 3.3? I'm taking this stupid 100 level sociology class right now that I only signed up for to pad my GPA and it looks like I'm going to get a B. We just got our midterm back- no one got above a C in a 200 person lecture, and he won't scale the grade. Grr. Anyway... This class will probably be the difference between a 3.3 and a 3.2x for me. Should I drop it and save the hit to my already abysmal GPA? I have a history of withdrawals (all passing, no WF) in my first 3 years of UG for family reasons that I will address in an addendum. The last four semesters I have no withdrawals. I'm not sure if it's worth it to have another W for the bump up to a 3.3, since I will still be below 25ths everywhere I want to apply. I just feel like maybe the 3.3 looks a little better... it certainly makes me feel better, ha. Any advice would be appreciated.

Even if you hit the 3.3, you'd have to murder the LSAT to have a outside shot at T14. And they're totally going to see through your GPA-padding strategy... they want to see a transcript that shows higher-level classes (200s, 300s) in your senior year, PLUS upward GPA trending. A 3.3 with another W--in a no-brainer freshman class, to boot--is probably just as useless for getting into a T14 as would be a 3.2. Revise expectations.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 am

How did no one get above a C out of 200 people in a 100 level Intro to Sociology class? If this is really the case why do you think you will get a B?

There is not a huge difference between a 3.2 and a 3.3. Both GPAs are going to be below the 25th LSAT of every T14 school. They are also both above the "magic" threshold of 3.0. For these two reasons I don't think there will be a big difference based on the "number" of your GPA. But, as the poster above noted, the W's on the transcript are going to raise some red flags. If you think you can write a successful addendum then maybe you still have a shot.

But to reiterate, this whole question is completely moot if you can't dominate the LSAT.

edit: 25th not 75th...

redsox

Postby redsox » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:Both GPAs are going to be below the 25th LSAT of every [strike]T14[/strike] school.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

redsox wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:Both GPAs are going to be below the 25th LSAT of every [strike]T14[/strike] school.

Well not quite. Washington U (ranked 19th) and UIUC (ranked 23rd) both have 25th GPAs at 3.2. Below median at every school that's not TTT, but not below 25th.

edit: I can't type to save my life right now

redsox

Postby redsox » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:02 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:
redsox wrote:

Well not quite. Washington U (ranked 19th) and UIUC (ranked 23rd) both have 25th GPAs at 3.2. Below median at every school that's not TTT, but not below 25th.

Yes, but nobody has a 25th LSAT below 120.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:03 am

redsox wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
redsox wrote:

Yes, but nobody has a 25th LSAT below 120.

Well it's a good thing I'm not an idiot......

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:10 pm

fwiw, I'm in the same boat, and decided to take summer classes to bump my 3.2x to a 3.3

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 pm

I've been PTing around 170-173 with little study so far, so I'm hoping that will stick and I can have at least a snowball's chance at a T14. If not, hopefully BC or BU will take me. I can still get a B in this class if I get an A on the final (if...ugh this class is miserable). I do have an upward trend, I've had a 3.7-4.0 for my last six semesters. Other than this stupid class, I'm taking all 300 and 400 level accounting classes, plus I've worked 40 hours a week for all of undergrad while taking at least 5 classes. My first three years of college were pretty awful, I had a semester of dismal grades, then withdrew from a semester, another semester of bad grades, withdrew the following semester, and then took a year off. I do have a strong addendum for all this crappiness though... my whole life pretty much collapsed around my ears a couple months after I started college. Do I really not have a shot? If I don't get into at least BC or BU I'll probably just get my CPA instead, it would save me the debt and job uncertainty.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”