This is Horrifying...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PoliticalJunkie

Re: This is Horrifying...

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:What do we now live in a nanny state? I guess the govt should step in?

Please, if market determines that it is profitable for a school to open up a law school, then they should do it. Period. Unless the legal community itself (including the ABA) chooses strength of education over financial gain nothing will change. Then again, that's not the American way....

Can't wait until I start my law school.....No. 500!

It's not a free market, champ. ABA has a monopoly on legal advice and they are the standard bearers of the profession. What the poster above was suggesting (I think) is that the ABA not allow more schools to open in the interest of preserving the integrity of the profession. I don't think he/she implied that the government step in at any point.

IMO the ABA further has a responsibility to not allow a glut of attorneys to over-litigate every minute aspect of our daily lives. This is economically costly, makes America less competitive, and because the ABA has a government imposed monopoly on legal advice, essentially amounts to a tax on businesses. Think about the repercussions of having too many lawyers before you try to make an economic case for having more lawyers. I can't think of a rational economic case for expanding the legal profession.

e: shit I just realized I misread part of what you said. I think we're pretty much saying the same thing.

The AMA regulate the amount of medical schools that can be accredited, so the profession isn't turned into a joke. The ABA would be well advised to consider doing the same.

+1

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:49 pm

eldizknee wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
eldizknee wrote:
PDaddy wrote: 4) Have you ever heard of Willie E. Gary? Harvard and every other "top" law school in the country has. And they all wish they could go back in time and admit his ass. :wink:

I'm no math expert, but I'm pretty sure one person isn't a representative sample. Maybe the guy who started the thread about econ and stats was on to something?

Here's what it comes down to - Those that graduate from top law schools are probably the best lawyers, but at the same time, there are many VERY successful lawyers that went to lower ranked schools. While it is very difficult for graduates from lower ranked schools, TLS overestimate how bad their prospects actually are. TLS would have you believe that 99% of lawyers outside of the top 14 can count on being destitute losers for the rest of their life.

I think it's mostly in the somewhat shady way a lot of the TTT/TTTT's operate, charging tuition at levels that assume biglaw salaries after graduation, putting pretty tight requirements on scholarships, misrepresenting employment/salary figures, failing out 15% of the class, etc. It's true that these schools *can* be a good choice for somebody if they're not paying too much for them, but the way the schools market themselves end up tricking a lot of well intentioned people that didn't do their homework or were naive.

No, I agree completely. I was just mainly saying that its not automatic that graduates from TTTs will not have good careers. Like I said there are MANY that end up having horrible careers, but many people on TLS think that it's almost inevitable.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:01 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
eldizknee wrote:
PDaddy wrote: 4) Have you ever heard of Willie E. Gary? Harvard and every other "top" law school in the country has. And they all wish they could go back in time and admit his ass. :wink:

I'm no math expert, but I'm pretty sure one person isn't a representative sample. Maybe the guy who started the thread about econ and stats was on to something?

Here's what it comes down to - Those that graduate from top law schools are probably the best lawyers, but at the same time, there are many VERY successful lawyers that went to lower ranked schools. While it is very difficult for graduates from lower ranked schools, TLS overestimate how bad their prospects actually are. TLS would have you believe that 99% of lawyers outside of the top 14 can count on being destitute losers for the rest of their life.

This isn't about "stats". I haven't made the argument that WEG is representative of all lawyers from lower tiered schools. But he is representative enough. However, when looking at "superlawyers" and other lawyer ratings, it's clear that the performances of lawyers as professionals is out of line with the law schools rankings and the way students are sorted through the use of the LSAT as the primary admissions determinant.

I do not believe that lawyers from top schools are necessarily "better" as a whole, and i will be attending a so-called "top" school in the fall. Read the article I posted in my first response to this thread and think about it. I agree with the honestabe84. The "I have to go to Harvard or else" mentality is BS. To be fair, I am still waiting on answers from Harvard and four other top-10 schools, and would likely go to one of them if offered. But nobody is going to tell me that I would be an inferior lawyer for having graduated from Emory, Tulane, or GWU.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:02 pm

boalt of the tier 4?

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:11 pm

I guess a good question is whether or not the law school determines future success anymore than your undergrad does.

I know that as far as business is concerned, you don't need a degree from HYP to start up a highly successful enterprise. Those schools will get your foot in the door for some middle-management position at a corporation, but if you don't know how to start and run your own business, you're screwed.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:12 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I guess a good question is whether or not the law school determines future success anymore than your undergrad does.

I know that as far as business is concerned, you don't need a degree from HYP to start up a highly successful enterprise. Those schools will get your foot in the door for some middle-management position at a corporation, but if you don't know how to start and run your own business, you're screwed.

The answer to your question is unequivocally yes.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:13 pm

PDaddy wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
eldizknee wrote:

This isn't about "stats". I haven't made the argument that WEG is representative of all lawyers from lower tiered schools. But he is representative enough. However, when looking at "superlawyers" and other lawyer ratings, it's clear that the performances of lawyers as professionals is out of line with the law schools rankings and the way students are sorted through the use of the LSAT as the primary admissions determinant.

I do not believe that lawyers from top schools are necessarily "better" as a whole, and i will be attending a so-called "top" school in the fall. Read the article I posted in my first response to this thread and think about it. I agree with the honestabe84. The "I have to go to Harvard or else" mentality is BS. To be fair, I am still waiting on answers from Harvard and four other top-10 schools, and would likely go to one of them if offered. But nobody is going to tell me that I would be an inferior lawyer for having graduated from Emory, Tulane, or GWU.

One person is representative enough? Wow... good luck in law school. Although its probably a better field for you than statistics.

And the number of superlawyers is not a good metric for determining how good a school is.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
eldizknee wrote:

One person is representative enough? Wow... good luck in law school. Although its probably a better field for you than statistics.

And the number of superlawyers is not a good metric for determining how good a school is.[/quote]

The quality of a law school is primarily based on the caliber of the students that attend them. For example, the education at Columbia is not significantly better than at Cornell.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 pm

honestabe84 wrote:One person is representative enough? Wow... good luck in law school. Although its probably a better field for you than statistics.

And the number of superlawyers is not a good metric for determining how good a school is.

The quality of a law school is primarily based on the caliber of the students that attend them. For example, the education at Columbia is not significantly better than at Cornell.[/quote]

Don't play stupid. I cited Superlawyer as an example of alternative measures for comparing lawyer success. A sfor the representative sample issue, you know that is not what I mean. I am saying that his success is representative enough for this argument, which, on both sides, is based mostly conjecture about the quality of lawyers coming out of schools. Nobody here has any real evidence to prove which schools produce the best lawyers.

OP and some others went off on some wild tangent about how lower tiered graduates are doomed...and their suppositions are based on, what? UNREPRESENTATIVE SAMPLES of people they know...electricians who dreamed of being lawyers and whatnot. So before you point that finger at me, you need to point it at the people who did it first. My WEG example was enough to refute their relatively unfounded arguments. Get it straight.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:41 pm

PDaddy wrote:So before you point that finger at me, you need to point it at the people who did it first.

Calling other people's anecdotes or statistics unrepresentative does not magically make yours not.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:Although the medical profession and the legal profession are totally different. Society can't have a bunch of bad doctors. They will harm people. Society can have a bunch of bad lawyers, they will just be unemployed. The medical profession has to make sure they only take people who has a chance to be competent doctors, but the legal profession doesn't have to. There are plenty of lawyers who are just glorified notory agents, and you can't expect T14 grads to fill those jobs, like traffic court lawyers...
Bad lawyers kill people. See death row and the number of convictions overturned on appeal in part due to poor representation at trial. Bad lawyers can also cause financial hardship and destroy million-dollar transactions through bad advice. That's why every lawyer has insurance.

I know an attorney right now who's helping his clients sue their previous law firm for giving horrible advice that resulted in enormous financial errors with punitive tax implications. They gave ridiculously bad advice, even though it was a respectable firm, and the client got smacked down by the gummint. In some situations bad tax planning will result in criminal charges for the taxpayer. Wesley Snipes got a criminal conviction for following bad tax advice (I think that was an accountant, not a lawyer, but the point is he followed professional advice and still got jail time).

Obviously a bad doctor could do a lot of damage, but my point is bad lawyers are not entirely benign. I still agree that the ABA needn't expand its powers, though. Legal services are expensive enough as it is without the ABA tightening supply.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:28 pm

PDaddy, your reputation precedes you. DH20 is right, you are a clown.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:05 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:4) Have you ever heard of Willie E. Gary? Harvard and every other "top" law school in the country has. And they all wish they could go back in time and admit his ass. :wink:

Try reading these articles:

http://weblaw.usc.edu/why/students/orgs ... ersity.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_E._Gary

NOW...TELL ME AGAIN ABOUT HOW STUDENTS FROM LOWER TIERED SCHOOLS, WITH LOWER LSAT SCORES ARE JUST SETTING THEMSELVES UP FOR FAILURE.

I am not a fan of people shitting on lower ranked schools just for the ego boost...If you're not at yale there is always someone above you.

However, I'm not sure this clown should be the poster child for any argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2hnsqNIR8

Maybe he should have gone to a better law school...

hannibalhamlin61

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 pm

PDaddy wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:The lowest 25th percentile of a tier 4 school is a 144 (North Carolina Central). I can't even imagine what opening up the new law schools is going to do to these numbers. I scored that on my first practice test ever but WAIT- here's the catch- I TOOK THE WRONG TEST for 3/4 sections (don't sleep in on practice LSAT days kids).

Please let us graduate law school before it becomes a total joke. These new schools shouldn't be allowed to award J.D.'s, some lesser degree should be invented... I vote B.L.- Bachelor of Law.

Let me preface my comments with one remark: I absolutely agree that we need to stem the trend of opening new schools that add little to the legal landscape. There are some schools that need to close (Texas Southern, Golden Gate, etc), and there are some excellent colleges and universities that could help the industry by opening schools (M.I.T., Brown, Rice, Spelman, Purdue, UCSD, etc). However, consider the following:

1) North Carolina Central isn't a "new" law school.

2) The LSAT doesn not measure one's ability to perform well at the job of being a lawyer, and barely predicts 1L first semester performance with any degree of accuracy. Hence, whether or not you want to accept it, there are some 144's that will wipe up the floor with some Harvard ass, as happens every day.

3) You can get a good legal education from most American law schools. Most schools have developed cultures that are more centered on public service than law and business, meaning that the BigLaw model upon which many T1's operate is not the goal of every school. Imagine that...some schools have as their missions the goal of producing lawyers who want to help others and don't care that much about money. :roll:

4) Have you ever heard of Willie E. Gary? Harvard and every other "top" law school in the country has. And they all wish they could go back in time and admit his ass. :wink:

Try reading these articles:

http://weblaw.usc.edu/why/students/orgs ... ersity.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_E._Gary

NOW...TELL ME AGAIN ABOUT HOW STUDENTS FROM LOWER TIERED SCHOOLS, WITH LOWER LSAT SCORES ARE JUST SETTING THEMSELVES UP FOR FAILURE.

I am not a fan of people shitting on lower ranked schools just for the ego boost...If you're not at yale there is always someone above you.

However, I'm not sure this clown should be the poster child for any argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2hnsqNIR8

Accused! What's your point? And, regardless of whether you believe in his guilt or innocence, he is still an extraordinary legal talent that wound up at a lower tiered law school. Any man can be wrongly accused of something...even you. You have no right to be judge and jury. Bill Clinton was accused of many things and people still love him. Marv Albert was accused of a horrific rape and is now back on television broadcasting NBA games. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? It is inappropriate of you to to post the accusation within the context of this debate, unless you are arguing that T4 schools produce rapists. :roll: And you call him a clown?

Even if Gary wasn't accused &/or guilty of the charges he's still not someone that should garner your respect. The guy is a glorified ambulance chaser.

Recently, he was seeking legal fees equal to $22,000 per hour in connection with litigation against Motorola.[1] A judge in Broward County, Florida has set the fee plus costs for the case at $22.9 million, the equivalent of about $1,050 per hour for Gary and his firm. Gary was quoted as saying "Obviously, we felt it could be a bit more, but we can live with the judge's ruling. I'm very, very pleased".

That's something you cited. Clown. Also, Clinton was not accused of rape and people still love him because he went to Yale Law School, obviously.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:50 pm

NayBoer wrote:Bad lawyers kill people. See death row and the number of convictions overturned on appeal in part due to poor representation at trial. Bad lawyers can also cause financial hardship and destroy million-dollar transactions through bad advice. That's why every lawyer has insurance.

Most convictions that are overturned are more victims of the entire justice system than their lawyers. You can't load up the case load of the public defender and expect him/her to defend effectively. That has nothing to do with the quality of the lawyer and more to do with the resources given to the lawyer/defendant.

Any profession can cause harm and injury through shoddy work, but they are usually indirect and will get selected out by reputation/record. Medical profession has the potential to be directly responsible for injuries. You generally have recourses if you find out if your lawyer is not competent, either during trial/transaction or after trial/transaction. If your doctor mess up, usually there is no fix. The burden is higher for medical profession.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:Most convictions that are overturned are more victims of the entire justice system than their lawyers. You can't load up the case load of the public defender and expect him/her to defend effectively. That has nothing to do with the quality of the lawyer and more to do with the resources given to the lawyer/defendant.

This is true. I've met PDs from T10 law schools and PDs from Tier-2 law schools and they were both equally overworked and unable to handle their workloads. Some jobs, it doesn't matter how much skill you bring, you just can't do everything they ask of you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:53 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Most convictions that are overturned are more victims of the entire justice system than their lawyers. You can't load up the case load of the public defender and expect him/her to defend effectively. That has nothing to do with the quality of the lawyer and more to do with the resources given to the lawyer/defendant.

This is true. I've met PDs from T10 law schools and PDs from Tier-2 law schools and they were both equally overworked and unable to handle their workloads. Some jobs, it doesn't matter how much skill you bring, you just can't do everything they ask of you.

That is one of the biggest issues with the criminal justice system. Innocent but indigent people who gets caught up in the justice system have no faith in their PD and their chances, so they usually plead out instead of risking trial. I really wonder how many felons actually agreed to plead to felonies even though they did not commit the crime. Can't blame the lawyers though. It must be really frustrating.

Maybe they should build some PD specific law schools that subsidizes the tuition in exchange for a few years of PD service at modest salaries.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:33 am

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

That is one of the biggest issues with the criminal justice system. Innocent but indigent people who gets caught up in the justice system have no faith in their PD and their chances, so they usually plead out instead of risking trial. I really wonder how many felons actually agreed to plead to felonies even though they did not commit the crime. Can't blame the lawyers though. It must be really frustrating.

Maybe they should build some PD specific law schools that subsidizes the tuition in exchange for a few years of PD service at modest salaries.

I think you're underestimating PDs. From what I understand, generally there is not a huge difference between PDs and private defenders as far as the final outcome is concerned. This is coming from one of my professors that has done serious research in this area. He could be wrong.

PDs are passionate/smart individuals that truly believe in what their doing. They typically do not look at their work as just another job.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 am

vanwinkle wrote:
PDaddy wrote:So before you point that finger at me, you need to point it at the people who did it first.

Calling other people's anecdotes or statistics unrepresentative does not magically make yours not.

I never said that one exam[ple was representative in the literal sense. Anyone knows that it usually isn't. So I am not arguing that point. What I am saying, for the third time, is that the argfuments I am refuting were themselves based on unrepresentative samples, obviating my need to go very far in refuting them.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 am

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
Accused! What's your point? And, regardless of whether you believe in his guilt or innocence, he is still an extraordinary legal talent that wound up at a lower tiered law school. Any man can be wrongly accused of something...even you. You have no right to be judge and jury. Bill Clinton was accused of many things and people still love him. Marv Albert was accused of a horrific rape and is now back on television broadcasting NBA games. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? It is inappropriate of you to to post the accusation within the context of this debate, unless you are arguing that T4 schools produce rapists. :roll: And you call him a clown?

Even if Gary wasn't accused &/or guilty of the charges he's still not someone that should garner your respect. The guy is a glorified ambulance chaser.

Recently, he was seeking legal fees equal to $22,000 per hour in connection with litigation against Motorola.[1] A judge in Broward County, Florida has set the fee plus costs for the case at $22.9 million, the equivalent of about $1,050 per hour for Gary and his firm. Gary was quoted as saying "Obviously, we felt it could be a bit more, but we can live with the judge's ruling. I'm very, very pleased".

That's something you cited. Clown. Also, Clinton was not accused of rape and people still love him because he went to Yale Law School, obviously.

Yale can kiss my ass, and so can anyone who still loves Clinton "because he went to Yale..." I like the guy, but it's because he was a good President...the best I have seen in my lifetime anyways. But Clinton was repeatedly accused of sexual harassment (and was probably guilty as charged). Also, I notice that you had no comeback for my Marv Albert example. If Gary was white, you would have no problem with his charging those fees. I think you're a racist.

There are plenty of Wall Street pigs and Texas slickers who charge more. I know of a lawyer who was making like $100-300M a year at one point b/c all he did was class action suits. His clients were cutting like $50-100K checks. That's ambulance chasing, too. And the name calling is rather juvenile don't you think? Do I frustrate you that much...to the point that you can't express yourself without name calling? You're weak, and you will make a lousy attorney if you get that far.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 am

honestabe84 wrote:
dakatz wrote:It really is not fair that they take advantage of students like this, humoring their dreams and then leading them toward unemployment. It isn't fair because many of these students deserve better. For example, I know this guy who was great with electronics. He was so handy, but he had grand dreams of law school. He got some mid 140's score and into a Tier 4 school, and now can't find any work. He had a wonderful skill that he completely shunned so he could get some "prestigious" JD. Schools like this probably hurt many people in the same way, who have the skill to do something useful and meaningful, but throw it away on these deceitful schools that pray off the dreams of those who may not know better.

Especially Cooley. They actually try to trick their students by making their own rankings and placing themselves in the top 20. LOL.

One of my good friends attempted to transfer out of there. One of his professors (grandson of a Cooley founder) refused to write him a LOR, since said professor doesn't believe in transferring. Maybe because it cuts the school's profits.

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:57 am

Why do people care what the ABA does? If there are no jobs for people who go to TTT schools, then eventually word will get out and people with TTT numbers will not pursue careers in the law and the demand for TTT law schools will dry up, at least somewhat. Another point, TTT grads make easy adversaries. So why all the fuss about 50k new JDs/year? If your credentials are better than theirs, then they aren't really competing for your job, are they? It's only when laid-off biglaw lawyers settle for shitlaw that they bitch they are getting passed up for local "respectable" t3 grads..my response to that is that biglaw may operate on meritocracy, but shitlaw certainly doesn't; so they should've known that going in.

Attacking the ABA is stupid since they have such strong liberal arguments they can make as pretext to justify the $$$ they make from accrediting every upstairs night school law college that petitions: by glutting the supply of lawyers they put deflationary pressure on fees, thereby allowing the indigent more access to legal services.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 am

JOThompson wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
dakatz wrote:It really is not fair that they take advantage of students like this, humoring their dreams and then leading them toward unemployment. It isn't fair because many of these students deserve better. For example, I know this guy who was great with electronics. He was so handy, but he had grand dreams of law school. He got some mid 140's score and into a Tier 4 school, and now can't find any work. He had a wonderful skill that he completely shunned so he could get some "prestigious" JD. Schools like this probably hurt many people in the same way, who have the skill to do something useful and meaningful, but throw it away on these deceitful schools that pray off the dreams of those who may not know better.

Especially Cooley. They actually try to trick their students by making their own rankings and placing themselves in the top 20. LOL.

One of my good friends attempted to transfer out of there. One of his professors (grandson of a Cooley founder) refused to write him a LOR, since said professor doesn't believe in transferring. Maybe because it cuts the school's profits.

I'm not being sarcastic here - I would really like to hear the justification the Cooley faculty gives for their rankings. Also, I would like them to say straight up that Cooley is worth full tuition. I've gotten most all my info regarding law school from TLS, so either TLS is RIDICULOUSLY pessimistic or the employment prospects for Cooley (and others alike) are extremely grim. I obviously lean towards the latter, but I can't imagine that Cooley's faculty would be that unethical as to deliberately mislead applicants. It would be one thing for them to just let applicants apply to their school, but for them to go out of their way to try and sell their school as a premier institution is just completely unethical IMO.

tru

Postby tru » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:59 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tru

Postby tru » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:02 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”