This is Horrifying...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hannibalhamlin61

Re: This is Horrifying...

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
By smart, you mean what? You're putting entirely too much faith in the LSAT.

^^ low LSAT sour grapes?

Actually a couple months of prep can do wonders for an LSAT score. Try making up for a shit GPA in one summer & get back to me.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:O RLY? You misunderstood my point. :roll:

What's you point then. You don't need to be smart to get a good GPA, but you do need to be smart to get a good LSAT score. And people with sub 3.0 GPAs do up and get 170s all the time.

if you get a sub 3.0 in a joke major like criminal justice, you're either extremely lazy or just dumb. Neither characteristic is conducive to getting a good lsat. anyhow, most people with a sub-3.0 don't get higher than 170. why do you think that is

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:O RLY? You misunderstood my point. :roll:

What's you point then. You don't need to be smart to get a good GPA, but you do need to be smart to get a good LSAT score. And people with sub 3.0 GPAs do up and get 170s all the time.

if you get a sub 3.0 in a joke major like criminal justice, you're either extremely lazy or just dumb. Neither characteristic is conducive to getting a good lsat. anyhow, most people with a sub-3.0 don't get higher than 170. why do you think that is

Most people with a GPA greater than 3.0 don't get a 170 either.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:13 pm

honestabe84 wrote:Most people with a GPA greater than 3.0 don't get a 170 either.

so what? that fact is an irrelevant one to the issue at hand

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:Most people with a GPA greater than 3.0 don't get a 170 either.

so what? that fact is an irrelevant one to the issue at hand

it could be relevant... anything to indicate that 3.7 is more likely to post 170+ than a 2.9? it is a self selecting population of test takers.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:it could be relevant... anything to indicate that 3.7 is more likely to post 170+ than a 2.9? it is a self selecting population of test takers.

Assuming it were self-selecting, then the population self-selects out those who think they aren't intellectually capable of becoming lawyers, leaving those who think they can. The ones who think they can take the test and those who do well end up going to law school where they either graduate or get filtered out by 1L. In either case the end result is, if we assume someone who graduates from law school as being someone who is certifiable to become a lawyer, expected and non contradicting to the idea that law school should groom people to become lawyers.

granted, the existence of shit for-profit law schools disproves an underlying assumption of this line of reasoning, it does nothing to suggest that people with sub-3.0s are automatically unfit to become lawyers like some kind of moronic litmus test, which was the original argument put forth.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 pm

To everybody railing against the ABA for not limiting the number of accredited law schools, remember that the ABA was sued by the United States in 1995 for having anti-competitive accreditation policies (i.e., limiting the number of accredited law schools): http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/americ1.htm.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:Yes. I don't know a WHOLE lot about medical school, but I'm pretty sure you would not have chance at getting accepted with a 2.9 GPA (even though its in Bio) no matter what your MCAT score is. In law school you can major in psyche or criminal justice, get a 2.9, score a 173 on the LSAT, and still get into at least a tier 1.

Agreed. People with <3.0 gpa's getting into law school period is a fucking joke.

How so. Shouldn't the major and the types of courses matter? What about grade ttrend? GPA's don't happen in a vacuum. What if that <3.0 is in Physics and Chemistry and the person overcame a life-threatening illness during his/her junior year...at M.I.T.?

You stated your proposition as "...People with <3.0 gpa's...joke". You are saying, "All people with <3.0 gpa's...joke.

Btw, you're wrong about med school admissions.

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:04 pm

No matter what DH2O says, I make perfect sense...and I'm waaaaay better looking. I look like my avatar, and he looks like his avatar. lol. Typical coward...can't think, follows and doesn't lead...thinks of everything in terms of "white". Just a sad case really.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Sclerenchyma wrote:
charlesjd wrote:Medical has an O.D. which is easier to get than a M.D.

I assume you mean D.O. which today has really 0.001% difference from an M.D. They are all together easier to get into than MD schools yet there are D.O. school's more selective than some M.D.'s. Even still, easier to get into is still very relative. If you have a 2.5 UGPA and a 23P MCAT you aren't going to a Caribbean medical school let alone a D.O. school in the states. Whereas comparative GPA and LSAT has you auto-admit and Tier 4.

Credited.

D.O. grads averages may be 0.few and few points lower then M.D. grads averages for GPA and MCAT respectively. And 50% of O.D. are going o primary care and 50% are going to do something not connected with medicine. So, its a drastic decrease in opportunities.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 pm

PDaddy wrote:No matter what DH2O says, I make perfect sense...and I'm waaaaay better looking. I look like my avatar, and he looks like his avatar. lol. Typical coward...can't think, follows and doesn't lead...thinks of everything in terms of "white". Just a sad case really.

What's that supposed to mean?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:No matter what DH2O says, I make perfect sense...and I'm waaaaay better looking. I look like my avatar, and he looks like his avatar. lol. Typical coward...can't think, follows and doesn't lead...thinks of everything in terms of "white". Just a sad case really.

What's that supposed to mean?

She thinks I'm a racist because I called her "racial dating theory" (best way I can describe her rant) crazy

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Dude, did you see his old selftar? He's fucking hot.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:

Dude, did you see his old selftar? He's fucking hot.

Overstatement appreciated :D

But seriously, I've always thought 180 LSATers had great taste in men.
Last edited by D. H2Oman on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:37 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
The quality of a law school is primarily based on the caliber of the students that attend them. For example, the education at Columbia is not significantly better than at Cornell.

You mean they value thickness over length??? So If I am a splitter with a very thick fiveincher I can get into T14?

FLINUM2147

Postby FLINUM2147 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:28 am

As informative as these forums can be it can be so hard to wade through all the shit sometimes. Everyone on here who got into a top 20 would like to think that their starting salaries out of law school will be twice that of a t4 student. All of their flaming and venting is their way of constantly reminding other posters why they should enjoy a more fulfilling career. I agree that a score in the forties doesn't bode very well for admissions, but none of you on here can say without a doubt that any of these t4'ers will be making crap salaries in the public field. Two of my friends who have graduated from t4 schools from different states are earning very decent starting salaries. I myself am now entering my fourth year in undergrad and my dec. score was a 168 and I plan to retake in the summer. Either way I would like to think that most of the posters on here would actually like to help others with helpful advice , instead of boosting their own egos.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:39 am

FLINUM2147 wrote:As informative as these forums can be it can be so hard to wade through all the shit sometimes. Everyone on here who got into a top 20 would like to think that their starting salaries out of law school will be twice that of a t4 student. All of their flaming and venting is their way of constantly reminding other posters why they should enjoy a more fulfilling career. I agree that a score in the forties doesn't bode very well for admissions, but none of you on here can say without a doubt that any of these t4'ers will be making crap salaries in the public field. Two of my friends who have graduated from t4 schools from different states are earning very decent starting salaries. I myself am now entering my fourth year in undergrad and my dec. score was a 168 and I plan to retake in the summer. Either way I would like to think that most of the posters on here would actually like to help others with helpful advice , instead of boosting their own egos.

they aren't boosting their own egos as much as they are stating the facts

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 am

FLINUM2147 wrote:As informative as these forums can be it can be so hard to wade through all the shit sometimes. Everyone on here who got into a top 20 would like to think that their starting salaries out of law school will be twice that of a t4 student. All of their flaming and venting is their way of constantly reminding other posters why they should enjoy a more fulfilling career. I agree that a score in the forties doesn't bode very well for admissions, but none of you on here can say without a doubt that any of these t4'ers will be making crap salaries in the public field. Two of my friends who have graduated from t4 schools from different states are earning very decent starting salaries. I myself am now entering my fourth year in undergrad and my dec. score was a 168 and I plan to retake in the summer. Either way I would like to think that most of the posters on here would actually like to help others with helpful advice , instead of boosting their own egos.

What's a decent starting salary? Are they top of the class? What are the median starting salaries of their schools? What percent of their school make "decent" starting salaries?

Anecdotal evidence of a couple of friends is not representative of the realistic employment prospects of a typical T4 student. If you are trying convince people to use your friends as guides rather than the publicly available stats from the schools themselves, you are the one doing a disservice.

Are you going to take a full ride at a T4 instead of T20 with your 168? Why retake? It's way too much to get a full ride at a decent non T20 school?

FLINUM2147

Postby FLINUM2147 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:32 am

One of them has around a 68,000 starting salary and I the other is more in the early seventies. My gpa is a 3.6 right now but it should improve by the time I graduate. Although many poster state the facts, they only state the facts that are in their favor. Just because a poster uses facts doesn't mean that he/she isn't boosting his own ego. Statistically these students are at a disadvantage when it comes to starting salaries, but And tuition at t4 can vary wildly from 13,000 a year to 45,000 so in the end while one t20 student could be making 80,000 starting with a 140,000 + debt, a t4 student could be making 65,000 with a 40,000 debt. It is all relative. Who is to say that a hard working t4 student couldn't surpass the t20 by the time their loans are paid off.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:33 am

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
jtxcounitah wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
By smart, you mean what? You're putting entirely too much faith in the LSAT.

^^ low LSAT sour grapes?

Actually a couple months of prep can do wonders for an LSAT score. Try making up for a shit GPA in one summer & get back to me.

Almost anyone can get an outstanding GPA with enough effort (greater than 3.8). Not everyone can get an outstanding LSAT score (greater than 170). In other words, you can study nonstop and get a good GPA, but no matter how much someone studies, most people cannot get a 170.

FLINUM2147

Postby FLINUM2147 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:40 am

I wasn't trying to convince anyone through my anecdote. Although I will most likely end up in a t50 school, I wouldn't look down on anyone just because they attend a t4. If someone is terrible at reading and writing then they suck at life in general. If you want to target a specific t4 school for allowing these people to be accepted then I find nothing wrong in advising people to not attend that school, but just lumping it together with all t4's is a ridiculous elitist attitude.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”