going to 2 different grad schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
birD

Bronze

going to 2 different grad schools

Post by birD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to go to law school part time at night and get a masters from a different graduate school during the day. Crazy question, I know, but something I'm really interested in doing...

kalvano

Diamond

Re: going to 2 different grad schools

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Wouldn't it be easier just to put a gun to your head?

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 pm

kalvano wrote:Wouldn't it be easier just to put a gun to your head?

+1

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:40 pm

point taken, but the question is is it actually possible?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 pm

birD wrote:point taken, but the question is is it actually possible?
No. And it would be extraordinarily stupid even if it were.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:57 pm

why? if you went part time night to law school I don't see how it's that unreasonable to take a masters class or two during the day. I want a masters in American Studies so I doubt it's going to be that difficult getting that work done.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:04 pm

birD wrote:
why? if you went part time night to law school I don't see how it's that unreasonable to take a masters class or two during the day. I want a masters in American Studies so I doubt it's going to be that difficult getting that work done.
Because... oh my goodness, this gets exhausting. Forgive me if I'm overly curt, but any extra degree won't help your employment prospects. Your first year of law school is the most physically and mentally draining conceivable process, and voluntarily piling more debt and difficulty on top of it is just not smart.

If you really want a masters, go back for it. Law school is a 24/7 mental commitment and you need to give it your all, especially first year - since so much rides on it. Add to that the fact that masters degrees are basically completely worthless outside of personal educational value, and it would be actively negative to try and do it with your JD.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:11 pm

Chocolate cake.

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:12 pm

but after law school I'm just going back to my home town and working for my mom who is already an established lawyer so it really doesn't matter how good I do in law school or if the masters is pointless. I want the masters not for more employment prospects but because it is my true passion and what I'd like to do with the rest of my life - possibly write books in American studies or teach.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 pm

birD wrote:but after law school I'm just going back to my home town and working for my mom who is already an established lawyer so it really doesn't matter how good I do in law school or if the masters is pointless. I want the masters not for more employment prospects but because it is my true passion and what I'd like to do with the rest of my life - possibly write books in American studies or teach.
I don't even know what to do with this. Enjoy your life, and I hope it works out for you whatever you pick!

birD

Bronze

Post by birD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:18 pm

I don't even know what to do with this.
haha me neither, thanks for indulging me none the less

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Find a school that has a J.D./M.A. program in American Studies. If you can't find a J.D./M.A., then complete an accelerated masters program after law school. It will take you just as much time. Otherwise, I think it would be a horrible idea to enroll in 2 part-time programs. It's a waste of time and money, and you'll likely perform poorly in both.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 pm

birD wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to go to law school part time at night and get a masters from a different graduate school during the day. Crazy question, I know, but something I'm really interested in doing...
Yes, some school allow this; however they usually require you to keep pace with a certain performance/gpa to make sure you're handling it well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Chocolate cake.
Want!

I think this is a horrible idea OP, your life will be hell. Look for a solid combined program at one school.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:17 pm

cLams wrote:Find a school that has a J.D./M.A. program in American Studies. If you can't find a J.D./M.A., then complete an accelerated masters program after law school. It will take you just as much time. Otherwise, I think it would be a horrible idea to enroll in 2 part-time programs. It's a waste of time and money, and you'll likely perform poorly in both.
This.

When are you planning on actually studying, btw, if you're taking classes during the day and at night?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”