Should I reapply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I reapply?

yes
63%
no
37%

Total votes: 27

Richard Rorty

New

Should I reapply?

Post by Richard Rorty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:42 pm

I applied to nine schools this year and I think my cycle turned out pretty horribly, I think. I applied with a ~3.65 and a 173 back in early December, and so far:

In: Georgetown

Waitlist: Duke, UVA

Out: Harvard, Berkeley, Chicago

Pending: Columbia, NYU, UCLA

When I applied, I had the impression that my numbers would get me into one of CCN, and really set my heart on being in Chicago or New York City. I definitely didn't expect the waitlist at Duke, or to not have heard from UCLA by now. So the questions are: was I being delusional? Is it worth reapplying to try to get CCN if I send my applications out right at the beginning of the cycle?

gossipgirl

Bronze

Re: Should I reapply?

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Absolutely. You have underperformed your numbers by a large margin.

Apply early in September/October and you'll be good to go.

Richard Rorty

New

Post by Richard Rorty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 pm

gossipgirl wrote:Absolutely. You have underperformed your numbers by a large margin.

I'm leaning towards this. What are some of the people who are voting "no" thinking?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Richard Rorty wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:Absolutely. You have underperformed your numbers by a large margin.

I'm leaning towards this. What are some of the people who are voting "no" thinking?
That I'd kill for a GULC acceptance.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

What would you do for the year? If you have a meaningful opportunity available, even more reason to postpone matriculation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richard Rorty

New

Post by Richard Rorty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:What would you do for the year? If you have a meaningful opportunity available, even more reason to postpone matriculation.
I have no plans right now, as I've only just started to consider this. I'm still a senior in UG, so I could try to postpone my graduation another semester and work on an honors thesis next fall. Otherwise, I'll have to see if I can find some kind of internship or meaningful volunteering opportunity for a year.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Richard Rorty wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:What would you do for the year? If you have a meaningful opportunity available, even more reason to postpone matriculation.
I have no plans right now, as I've only just started to consider this. I'm still a senior in UG, so I could try to postpone my graduation another semester and work on an honors thesis next fall. Otherwise, I'll have to see if I can find some kind of internship or meaningful volunteering opportunity for a year.
Volunteering sounds good, writing something that interests you sounds good, and honestly doing anything except for committing felonies will be good for you to do next year.

Financially, it makes no sense for you to pay sticker at GULC when you'll be getting $$ from a T10 school if you apply early next year. For any doubters, do a quick search for OP's numbers on LSN and you'll find that OP would get anywhere from 40-70k at a T10 if he applies early.

You're still young. 1 year won't delay your career much, your law school investment will be much better, and the year off may yield some positive returns for you.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Don't give up hope yet. You might still get into NYU or Columbia. If they start plucking from the waitlist, your 173 along with not-terrible GPA (well above their 25th) will look pretty good.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 am

Do you have a stable job and/or the option to travel and enjoy yourself for a year? Are you willing to take the year off?

If yes for both, then yes. Your numbers are solid. I'd do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:21 am

Richard Rorty wrote:

Do you have multiple scores? A sub-par PS? A potentially weak LOR? Some other negative softs?

I would ride out the current waitlists you are on and be ready to reapply. That's def a rough cycle as of right now. Spend the year building your resume, reworking your personal statement, and enjoying life before law school. Be ready to submit apps in August/Sept, consider adding Michigan, Penn, NU, Cornell, and USC, e-mail schools in August and ask for fee waivers, and write "Why X" essays for MVPDNC (NU and Cornell only are a paragraph or two). If you do write an honors thesis, consider asking the professor you are working with for a strong LOR.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 am

Re-do your PS, resume, etc. Get sparkling LOR's, and do some volunteer work or something.

Have everything ready to go as soon, and submit as soon as you can.

Enter in to debt, but then profit.

With those numbers, don't settle for a school that's not what you really want without making a full-on effort first.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 am

I agree with the more vocal voters -- assuming there isn't some snag in your applications (being convicted of a felony against the dean in retaliation for your downward-trending grades or something), you will probably be better off if you reapply next cycle if you don't get an affirmative from Columbia or NYU. Staying in school for an additional semester is less preferable than going and doing something. Anything. Travel. Write a collection of short stories. Volunteer at your local dog shelter. My understanding is that you'll need to start fresh with your PS, and it would probably look good to have at least one additional or different LOR. Not that Gtown is anything to sneeze at, but your numbers will probably land you a significantly higher-ranked school next year.

Richard Rorty

New

Post by Richard Rorty » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Richard Rorty wrote:

Do you have multiple scores? A sub-par PS? A potentially weak LOR? Some other negative softs?

I would ride out the current waitlists you are on and be ready to reapply. That's def a rough cycle as of right now. Spend the year building your resume, reworking your personal statement, and enjoying life before law school. Be ready to submit apps in August/Sept, consider adding Michigan, Penn, NU, Cornell, and USC, e-mail schools in August and ask for fee waivers, and write "Why X" essays for MVPDNC (NU and Cornell only are a paragraph or two). If you do write an honors thesis, consider asking the professor you are working with for a strong LOR.

1 out of my two LOR's is not strong (the professor, to my surprise, spent 5 minutes writing it). The biggest wildcard, I think, is that I spent my first two years of undergrad at a community college. While I had been told that this wouldn't make a significant difference for the numbers-whoring schools, it's possible that this is why I underperformed this cycle.

If I reapply, I will definitely heed the advice you guys are giving and write "Why X" essays to the majority of schools I apply to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:51 am

And for chrissake get a better letter of recommendation. I'm not sure how you found out that one was no good, but you should never ever submit lukewarm recommendations. If you wind up reapplying next year get a different letter and exclude that one -- I'd be willing to bet it is better to submit a positive (though still specific) letter from the supervisor of a volunteer/extracurricular activity than a lukewarm one from a professor.

khanvalescent

New

Post by khanvalescent » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:44 am

It sounds like you want to get into Columbia or NYU to consider the cycle a success?

If you do defer, I would absolutely not fill the time with academic busy-work. Get a job or go work for free abroad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”