Santa Clara vs. U of Arizona Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PJRooney

New

Santa Clara vs. U of Arizona

Post by PJRooney » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:17 pm

I am from San Diego and practicing in California after I graduate is very important to me. I have been offered 8k a year from both schools pending academic performance (be in the top 25% for Santa Clara, maintain a 3.2 for Arizona). Both schools have well known international law (which I am interested in), although Santa Clara has better opportunities to study abroad (an excellent opportunity which I have enjoyed in the past). COL is cheaper in Tucson, although quality of education is more important to me than the cost of the education. Arizona is "ranked" as a better law school. Unfortunately, I have never visited either campus nor can I visit them before I make a decision, as I am out of the country until June. Which is the smarter decision in the long run keeping in mind that I want to take the BAR and work in California after graduation?

arhmcpo

Bronze

Re: Santa Clara vs. U of Arizona

Post by arhmcpo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Santa Clara. for this reason.
PJRooney wrote:Which is the smarter decision in the long run keeping in mind that I want to take the BAR and work in California after graduation?

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Tough decision. I may be in a similar boat as well.

I'm familiar with both schools' campuses (although not the UA law building), and both are quite nice. Still, it's tough to compete with the beauty of anything in the Bay Area, IMO.

Are you interested in practicing in Northern/Central California or do you plan to go back south? If the latter, I gotta think that UA might be better. I'm not sure, though.

There's no doubt that ranking, employment, and clerkship number are better at U of A. But we all know the TLS adage: If not t-14 (or 20?), go to a school in the area you want to practice.

I'd love to see more opinions about this: Arizona vs. Santa Clara for California.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:00 pm

[quote="PJRooney"]Both schools have well known international law[quote]

Give me an F
Give me an L
Give me a A
Give me a M
Give me an E!

What does it spell?
I don't know, I was never on the football team.

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 am

Veyron wrote:
PJRooney wrote:Both schools have well known international law
Give me an F
Give me an L
Give me a A
Give me a M
Give me an E!

What does it spell?
I don't know, I was never on the football team.
Some truth here. Well-known on their campuses, perhaps, but not much further.

Anyone with constructive opinions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

High_Hopes

New

Post by High_Hopes » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:36 am

My mom works at a small firm in the Bay area and told me Santa Clara places reasonably well there. In my opinion Bay area >>>>>>>>>>>> Tuscon

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Definitely a tough decision. I applied to both schools as well, but won't be attending either of them. From what I hear, the Arizona degree does transfer to CA relatively well normally, but probably not ITE. The bay area is a very tough market for either school, but the local ties that SC has probably make it a better choice. If it were me, I'd go to Arizona and practice in Tucson/Phoenix for a few years, but you don't seem like you want to do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”