Rejected from top choices- wait another year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dhg5004

Rejected from top choices- wait another year?

Postby dhg5004 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14 am

I was rejected by Temple (my number 2 choice) and waiting to hear from Cardozo's May program...in at NYLS with some $$. I applied at the start of March everywhere...(i know super late...but I retook the LSAT in February...)

My question is should I attend NYLS and then transfer somewhere assuming I do well my first year? I definitely want to graduate from a bit more prestigious school than NYLS. Ideally I'd love to graduate from Temple or Cardozo...

Or should I wait another year? And apply the first day possible for the next cycle? I realllllly rather not wait a whole 1 more year but I'm thinking my chances of enrollment would be much higher if I apply at the start of the cycle....but obviously there is no guarantee in this either. I scored a 155 on the LSAT and I don't want to take it again...especially knowing that schools look at it as a bad thing if you take it more than twice...unless your score increases by 10 points or more (which would be doubtful considering my highest score i ever got was low 160's)

Any advice from anyone? I'd really appreciate it...

thanks

jetlagz28

Re: Rejected from top choices- wait another year?

Postby jetlagz28 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 am

Apply EARLY this fall. You might try early decisions. If you want to try and retake while you wait, you should consider it.

You got shafted because of your low lsat / late application combo.

"especially knowing that schools look at it as a bad thing if you take it more than twice...unless your score increases by 10 points or more which would be doubtful considering my highest score i ever got was low 160's"

Where the hell did you hear this? Not true.

If you retook in the summer and scored 3-4 points higher, that's only a good thing. How many people retake the LSAT? Spend some time on this board and you'll see that its a very common thing.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 am

thanks so much jetlagz. i appreciate your input. maybe i will retake it again... and here I thought I'd be done with the LSAT stuff forever! ugh.

Would you recommend deferring my acceptance to NYLS until next year? Just in case I don't get into Cardozo/Temple next year? Do schools do this..? I'm not familiar with that process at all.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 am

Find out if you can defer and if its a binding commitment. You will have to contact the school and find out.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and offer some advice from personal experience.

singingvontrapp

Postby singingvontrapp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 am

Wait a year, and next cycle don't apply to schools you won't go to even with scholarship.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:24 am

dhg5004 wrote:I was rejected by Temple (my number 2 choice) and waiting to hear from Cardozo's May program...in at NYLS with some $$. I applied at the start of March everywhere...(i know super late...but I retook the LSAT in February...)

My question is should I attend NYLS and then transfer somewhere assuming I do well my first year? I definitely want to graduate from a bit more prestigious school than NYLS. Ideally I'd love to graduate from Temple or Cardozo...

Or should I wait another year? And apply the first day possible for the next cycle? I realllllly rather not wait a whole 1 more year but I'm thinking my chances of enrollment would be much higher if I apply at the start of the cycle....but obviously there is no guarantee in this either. I scored a 155 on the LSAT and I don't want to take it again...especially knowing that schools look at it as a bad thing if you take it more than twice...unless your score increases by 10 points or more (which would be doubtful considering my highest score i ever got was low 160's)

Any advice from anyone? I'd really appreciate it...

thanks

This is just incorrect. Even schools that "claim" to average will view a person with say a 155 and a 161 on a whole different level than a person with just a 155. And if they do average- they view that person now as a 158.

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 am

Dont wait till next year unless you plan on retaking LSAT and Studying your ass off and scoring higher. The odds of getting into Cardoza and Temple next year with a 155 even early in the cycle are slim unless you save starving children or cure cancer between then and now :) The LSAT is learned you can totally increase your score by 5+ points ! Dont let this stupid test determine your life!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”