JD and Masters in Education Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopefullaw27

Bronze

JD and Masters in Education

Post by hopefullaw27 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:37 am

I wanted to see if anyone had any experience or insight into simultaneously attaining a JD and a Masters in Education. For me, I'd like to eventually get into education policy work; however, would like to do some big law out of law school (pay off debt/see how it goes). I was wondering whether you think it'd be wise to do it simultaneously (penn has a 3 year program, nyu has 4 year program)...or go back and get a masters later when i'm ready to pursue a career in public policy/interest. Moreover, is a masters in education even necessary to enter said policy work? fwiw, I was an econ major, if that helps...

Geist13

Silver

Re: JD and Masters in Education

Post by Geist13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:53 am

I think the better question is: how necessary is a J.D. for education policy? Why not just get a PhD or an MPP with a concentration in education?

http://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/Leadershi ... ms/PhD.xml

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 am

Masters degrees are completely worthless in 99% of the cases, and dual-degree programs are cash cows for universities and little else. You might enjoy the experience, but the odds that it will increase your employment prospects are basically 0. Get the JD and do well and people will take you seriously for a job that involves education policy. If you want the credential later you can always go back, but doubling down in the first place is somewhere between unnecessary and unwise.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:38 am

If your life's not in a hurry, I would suggest applying to a two-year entry teaching program like Teach for America or NYC Teaching Fellows. You'll get your masters in education while earning a full-time salary, and it will help you get into law school. Some schools even reserve spots and scholarships for TFA alumni.

You don't really need a JD to do education policy, but it would be a good thing to have if you decide you don't want to do education policy. Also, you don't want to do education policy. The politics are disgusting.

colleen

New

Post by colleen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm in the exact same position and decided to join Teach for America before law school. I figure it will give me the experience needed to enter education policy, and I'll be getting a master's degree from Johns Hopkins for about $5,000. I had looked into a lot of dual-degree programs as well. I had already applied to law schools and will be deferring my acceptance. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 pm

An M.Ed is not going to be at all policy-oriented. It's a professional degree for teachers and that's it. Unless you plan to teach don't bother.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:04 am

blsingindisguise wrote:An M.Ed is not going to be at all policy-oriented. It's a professional degree for teachers and that's it. Unless you plan to teach don't bother.
Depends on the program. Some schools have different tracks for their MA, i.e. teaching, administration, policy, research, ect.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 am

Any thoughts on how much more costly a master with jd would be?

Edit: thanks for all the posts so far

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 am

hopefullaw27 wrote:Any thoughts on how much more costly a master with jd would be?
Depends on the school. Many schools just charge you another year of law school tuition while you get the MA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”