Housing/room mate poll

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What are you doing for housing?

Finding a room mate on craiglist
13%
living alone
47%
living in graduate student housing
20%
already have a room mate
20%

Total votes: 131

Dany

Re: Housing/room mate poll

Postby Dany » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 pm

nealric wrote:Shocked by how many people are living alone. Have people done the math on how much that costs over the course of 3 years?

IMO, if you are prone to roommate drama, the problem is probably you. I've lived with 15 different people during 7 years school, and never had a roommate that caused so much drama that it interfered with my studies. Some of them weren't necessarily my best friends, but there wasn't a single fight. The number of people who are really so disagreeable that you can't just ignore them and keep to yourself is really small. Those that are that disagreeable can almost always be flagged with even a quick meeting prior to moving in.

To be fair, most have said they plan to live alone during 1L, since they won't know anyone beforehand. Also, it's not necessarily roommate "drama" - it's just that different lifestyles make living how you want to live a bit tricky. And it's not like law school is exactly cheap in the first place, so if someone wants to spend a bit more to help them be happiest and do as well as possible, why do you care?

Bert

Postby Bert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Living alone or maybe with SO if she decides to come along. I definitely am not doing the roommate thing as it would be too stressful for me, but it would be nice to save a couple bucks. The last time I had a roommate I travelled on a long summer weekend and came back to find out that he had moved out while I was away. He literally took everything I owned (Playstation, Xbox, furniture, appliances, etc.) leaving me with my fishtank, my bed and my clothes. I can not go through that again (especially at law school).

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Moved into a one-bedroom in September and LOVE it. Paying extra $$ for your own quiet space is well worth it. However, I will be living with my SO during my first year.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm

Hopefully if your law school roommate up and leaves with your stuff, you can wring his neck in Con Law the next day. That story is pretty horrific though, I must say.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Living with my husband, does that count as a roomate?

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Only if you always refer to him as such when talking to classmates.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Only if you always refer to him as such when talking to classmates.

Well he drinks all the beer in the fridge and nothing is ever where I left it, so it is not completely unlike having a room mate.

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 pm

nealric wrote:Shocked by how many people are living alone. Have people done the math on how much that costs over the course of 3 years?

IMO, if you are prone to roommate drama, the problem is probably you. I've lived with 15 different people during 7 years school, and never had a roommate that caused so much drama that it interfered with my studies. Some of them weren't necessarily my best friends, but there wasn't a single fight. The number of people who are really so disagreeable that you can't just ignore them and keep to yourself is really small. Those that are that disagreeable can almost always be flagged with even a quick meeting prior to moving in.

:roll: Why does it matter to you that some adult people actually enjoy living alone? It will cost me approximately $7000 extra dollars to live alone for 3 years and I think it's 100% worth it.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:02 pm

From my own experience: don't live with opposite sex roommates, especially if they're attractive.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

UF Gators wrote: It will cost me approximately $7000 extra dollars to live alone for 3 years and I think it's 100% worth it.

Yeah, my math has me at about $10,000 more over the course of 3 years and I'm leaning towards thinking that it's definitely worth it.

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:27 pm

lawduder wrote:
UF Gators wrote: It will cost me approximately $7000 extra dollars to live alone for 3 years and I think it's 100% worth it.

Yeah, my math has me at about $10,000 more over the course of 3 years and I'm leaning towards thinking that it's definitely worth it.

I used to live around the Emory area, you can definitely find some great deals on one bedrooms there. St. Louis is even cheaper :mrgreen: .

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Dunno about the others, I'm just doing this for first year for sure. For 2L and 3L, I may consider rooming with any friends I make over 1L.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

HBK wrote:I've lived on my own since 2007. I could not fathom having a roommate that isn't my SO.

Coming home to loud music, strangers touching your stuff, no beer in the fridge (even though you bought a case the night before), etc. just does not sound at all appealing to me. I like to know that when I come home, all my stuff will be where I left it.

On the flip side, if I want to jam out on some guitar hero with some friends, I don't want to have to worry about pissing off a roommate. If I don't feel like cleaning up after myself, I can take a night off.

Plus, if you're a single male, most adult women I've met prefer not to date someone with a roommate.

+1

I can't wait to live alone for these exact reasons aside from the single male part. If I get into school where my SO is going to school she'll live with me and living with a clean woman is tops.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”