So, Let's Discuss Good & Bad Experiences With Admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
17ShortFuse

Re: So, Let's Discuss Good & Bad Experiences With Admissions

Postby 17ShortFuse » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 am

firebreathingliberal wrote:
17ShortFuse wrote:USC- Bad just because they sent me an e-mail addressed to the wrong applicant. If you expect not to get a Why UCLA PS, I expect not to get an e-mail addressed to Nancy.

Did Nancy get dinged? I might feel a little better after reading that I was dinged to find out at the end of the email that it wasn't mine... or maybe they are just telling you what they really thing about you.. Nancy boy

also USC and UCLA are not the same, maybe they were pissed because you sent USC a "I really want to attend UCLA" PS

No I know they're not the same. I didn't send them a UCLA PS because I didn't apply to UCLA. I was just using that as an example of how schools don't like getting a PS addressed to a different school. And no Nancy wasn't dinged, it had to do with ASW. It was just funny to me because people always talk about not sending a school the wrong PS and I get an e-mail addressed to the wrong applicant.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 am

I applied to 17 schools, so I've dealt with a good subset of offices this cycle.

The awesome:

UVA: Dean Faulk is phenomenal, and their whole office bent over backward to set me up with folks when I visited during finals week. I got pretty personalized contact every few weeks from early Nov. until my withdrawal.

Stanford: The best. I've gotten 5-6 phone calls (alumni, current students, folks from my UG), emails from professors I would kill to work with, and their OUTlaw has sent me tons of great information. I've been blown away by them; even though they don't need to sell themselves, they obviously put a ton of effort into outreach.

Solid: Columbia, Michigan, Duke, Chicago.

The not so good:

NYU: Really impersonal; one awkward phone call from a member of OUTlaw a good month after I tried withdrawing for the first time. Ended up having to send 3 different withdrawal emails, and I still haven't gotten official notice that they've received any.

Northwestern: Took 4 months to go complete, really curt and dismissive replies to any inquiries I made to the office. I had a great interview (with an alum) so the lackluster admissions office was a bit disappointing.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:56 am

Michigan's is awesome. Just called them because I'm visiting on Thursday and the girl developed a schedule for me based on my interests then emailed me the itinerary. Made my day.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I've called Pitt three times and yet to speak to a human.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:44 pm

The Harvard admissions office has been really great for admitted students.

However, I don't feel like the people receiving hold emails dated April 1 feel the same way.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 am

Another encounter with UW: My decision letter was taking too long to get to my place, so I sent them a polite e-mail saying I had deposits due and asking if I could get a notice by e-mail. Apparently the request got passed around the office, and I've received three separate copies of the same rejection letter, but still not the original snail mail version. My app must have been so bad that they just had to rub it in.

yourdadcalled

Postby yourdadcalled » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Best: Michigan, Duke

Worst: Georgetown, Stanford (6 months later and still no word?)

dontknowwhereimgoin

Postby dontknowwhereimgoin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:11 pm

people who got accepted to schools (generally) like or are ecstatic about those schools' admissions; people who have yet to hear hate them..?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 pm

dontknowwhereimgoin wrote:people who got accepted to schools (generally) like or are ecstatic about those schools' admissions; people who have yet to hear hate them..?

did you read the thread?

dontknowwhereimgoin

Postby dontknowwhereimgoin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:13 pm

GeePee wrote:The Harvard admissions office has been really great for admitted students.

However, I don't feel like the people receiving hold emails dated April 1 feel the same way.

yea

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:10 pm

The Best: UVa

Great: UCI, Wash U, UTx
All these school were quick to answer emails or return phone calls when I had questions.

Horrible: Georgetown
The only time I ever got a response to an email from them was when I withdrew. Both before and after acceptance I never got a response at all to any emails I sent them. So given I couldn't get any answers even after being admitted, it was easy to withdraw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”