3.4-3.5 GPA and t6

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xyzzzzzzzz

3.4-3.5 GPA and t6

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:21 am

:D
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: 3.4-3.5 GPA and t6

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:51 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:I've been looking through LSN and seen quite a few folks with a 3.4-3.5 gpa and high LSAT(170 +) scores get into Chicago and Columbia. However, there seem to be quite a few rejects with the same numbers. Does it really come down to softs? prestigious ug? More interested in speculations about Chicago than Columbia.

I heard from from a few people that Chicago likes more prestigious undergrads. Not to say that a no-name undergrad will keep you from being accepted, but for Chicago I think it would be nice to have. NYU seems to be the easiest of CCN to crack with a lower GPA and a higher (173+) LSAT score. I would think a 175+ would be needed to be more competitive for Columbia with around this GPA.

Without both high GPA + high LSAT, I think softs do matter more at this level.

I'm on the verge of striking out a CCN (WL/WL/Still Pending) this cycle with numbers around this range (3.5+/173+), though I might be a bad example since I have 3 LSAT scores.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Prestigious undergrad probably helps a little bit. Difficult major probably helps more. Looking at old Stanford admits, for example, they do admit a fairly significant number of people in the 175+, 3.6-3.7 range, but they're all science, engineering or math majors. Years out of undergrad probably help, too; I doubt any T6 school would take someone with even a 180/3.45 straight from undergrad barring a really hard major or GPA-deflating undergrad (Princeton among top schools), but with a few years of work experience they would consider it.

You have to remember that a 3.4-3.5 GPA is below median at most of the top undergrads; just being a Harvard student is not going to cut it alone.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:28 pm

BenJ wrote: I doubt any T6 school would take someone with even a 180/3.45 straight from undergrad barring a really hard major or GPA-deflating undergrad (Princeton among top schools), but with a few years of work experience they would consider it.

This is just incorrect, especially for NYU. T6 have to take GPA's this low to maintain their high LSAT medians (and take into consideration that the person with a high LSAT score + high GPA will have the choice of at least Harvard, so a T6 school will need to toss some significant money at him/her to try and steal that person away). There just aren't that many ppl with around mid to high 170s.

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=174-180&gp ... o&range=no

http://www.hourumd.com/?school=New%20Yo ... at=174-180

arb44

Postby arb44 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm just an anecdote, but I've been having a good cycle with a GPA in the range you are looking at. I didn't apply to NYU, got into Chicago, and still am under review at Columbia (I was held, so, while not great, its not been terrible at all).

I didn't go to a presitigious undergrad (I went to state school).
I also am applying straight from undergrad.

Granted, both prestige and work experience help, but don't let a lack of either deter you from applying.

Good Luck!

smile

Postby smile » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:42 pm

What would you say about chances at Chicago if that gpa came from an ivy league school (with a non-grade-inflated major) and a 175-176 lsat?

arb44

Postby arb44 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:46 pm

smile wrote:What would you say about chances at Chicago if that gpa came from an ivy league school (with a non-grade-inflated major) and a 175-176 lsat?

Well, considering my lsat was a bit lower, I would say that chances were good.

But, the only advice I can really give about applying to Chicago is that they go strictly in terms of when you submit your application. Submit in early October (best case) or at latest November/December. I submitted as soon as I could, and I think it helped. They are reviewing very slowly this year, and people who submitted later are facing deadlines at other schools. You don't want to be in that situation.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 pm

arb44 wrote:
smile wrote:What would you say about chances at Chicago if that gpa came from an ivy league school (with a non-grade-inflated major) and a 175-176 lsat?

Well, considering my lsat was a bit lower, I would say that chances were good.

But, the only advice I can really give about applying to Chicago is that they go strictly in terms of when you submit your application. Submit in early October (best case) or at latest November/December. I submitted as soon as I could, and I think it helped. They are reviewing very slowly this year, and people who submitted later are facing deadlines at other schools. You don't want to be in that situation.

This. Get your Chicago (and NYU) apps in early, and it makes them much more likely to reach for you in December during the first wave of acceptances. I had borderline numbers at each school, though in the other direction.

I'd say a 174/3.5-ish app that gone in in September would have a fairly good shot at at least one of CCN, esp. if that person isn't right out of UG.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:55 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:wow! thanks everyone for replying. I much feel better about my chances at Chicago. I plan on taking some time off after I graduate and hope that helps too. Any thoughts on candidates with these stats and scholarship money? Also, would applying ED be a bad idea, since getting in RD is likely?

An acceptance is by no means likely, you will just be competitive with a 172+. Scholarship money is probably not going to happen. If you are sure Chicago is your top choice and you are fine with paying sticker, then yes I would ED Chicago. With this number range, my opinion is this makes you go from a coin flip to a very good probability.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Kretzy wrote: I'd say a 174/3.5-ish app that gone in in September would have a fairly good shot at at least one of CCN, esp. if that person isn't right out of UG.

:(

Maybe CCN thought I was a bit over-eager in sending out my apps in Oct?

Waiting on you NYU to complete the WL trifecta.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:04 am

:D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”