do law schools know when you have been accepted to other? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dudnaito

Bronze

do law schools know when you have been accepted to other?

Post by dudnaito » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:03 am

schools?

Gold

Re: do law schools know when you have been accepted to other?

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:34 pm

Yes and no. From what I read somewhere...they see what percentages of the students are cross-enrolled at peer schools during the cycle but do not get individual data from LSAC until you submit a seat deposit. They do see double-deposits and after a certain period of time will hound you to choose one.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:37 pm

blhoward2 wrote:Yes and no. From what I read somewhere...they see what percentages of the students are cross-enrolled at peer schools during the cycle but do not get individual data from LSAC until you submit a seat deposit. They do see double-deposits and after a certain period of time will hound you to choose one.
source?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:40 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:Yes and no. From what I read somewhere...they see what percentages of the students are cross-enrolled at peer schools during the cycle but do not get individual data from LSAC until you submit a seat deposit. They do see double-deposits and after a certain period of time will hound you to choose one.
source?
One of the Dean interviews I read somewhere a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Deposits

TLS: Is it against the rules to submit deposits to two different schools? What would you do if you see an admit doing this?

It isn't against any rule that LSAC has. Some schools have language on their deposit form that states that you are only submitting a deposit to them and withdrawing all of your other applications. If a school has that language and you don't abide by it, the school certainly has the right to revoke their offer. Illinois doesn't have that language. With the new system, if I see someone has paid two deposits and it is June 15, I will just give them a call and ask what they plan on doing. I have people on the WL that want that seat, but if a person has paid their deposits the seat is theirs until they withdraw.

TLS: Can a school see what other schools the applicant has applied to? How about the applicant's admission decisions from the other schools?

No. In June, schools that participate in the commitment overlap process can see if people who have paid a deposit at their school also have a deposit at another participating school. Illinois participates in this process, but not every school does. More information is on the LSAC website. This program just started last year.

--LinkRemoved--

I've seen it elsewhere as well.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 pm

blhoward2 wrote:Deposits

TLS: Is it against the rules to submit deposits to two different schools? What would you do if you see an admit doing this?

It isn't against any rule that LSAC has. Some schools have language on their deposit form that states that you are only submitting a deposit to them and withdrawing all of your other applications. If a school has that language and you don't abide by it, the school certainly has the right to revoke their offer. Illinois doesn't have that language. With the new system, if I see someone has paid two deposits and it is June 15, I will just give them a call and ask what they plan on doing. I have people on the WL that want that seat, but if a person has paid their deposits the seat is theirs until they withdraw.

TLS: Can a school see what other schools the applicant has applied to? How about the applicant's admission decisions from the other schools?

No. In June, schools that participate in the commitment overlap process can see if people who have paid a deposit at their school also have a deposit at another participating school. Illinois participates in this process, but not every school does. More information is on the LSAC website. This program just started last year.

--LinkRemoved--

I've seen it elsewhere as well.
great info. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”