Which schools have the biggest buzz going?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PDaddy

Which schools have the biggest buzz going?

Postby PDaddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:44 pm

The "buzz" factor attracts applicants, and schools can generate that excitement in many ways: rise or expected rise in rank (USNWR, Leiter, LS100, Superlawyer, PR, etc), new hires, new law buildings, new programs/courses/clinics, or changes in educational paradigm (W & L 3L emphasis on practical ed, NU's 2yr program). Which schools do you think have a buzz going that will attract more applications, and why?

vanwinkle

Re: Which schools have the biggest buzz going?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:46 pm

I think UVA has a good buzz going among admitted students, but that's from the free beer during ASW.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:49 pm

After attending NYU's admitted student days it seemed quite evident to me that they are aggressively trying to move up in the rankings via lateral hires, promotion of clerkships, and their continued "emphasis" on public interest (even though it's a minority of the students. They've also undertaken a construction project to expand the school's facilities. Don't know how much of a "buzz" they have going and whether or not they can edge out CLS this year in the rankings.

EDIT: NYU also had a 20% increase in applications this cycle
Last edited by KG_CalGuy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:52 pm

I don't know that a giant leap in ranking (e.g. Indiana) is all that convincing. A slow, steady rise (e.g. Boston, Emory) is more reassuring for applicants.

I would say that new facilities would generate buzz, but places like Michigan and Cornell seemed to have some of the biggest jumps in applications this past year.

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:55 pm

I'd say Duke has some massive "buzz" factor right now.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 pm

Vanderbilt
Virginia
Uc Irvine

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:02 am

Vanderbilt seems "hot" right now, after the biglaw placement stats for this past year, and some of the most effective trolling in history of internets by observationalist
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sikwitt

Postby sikwitt » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:04 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:After attending NYU's admitted student days it seemed quite evident to me that they are aggressively trying to move up in the rankings via lateral hires, promotion of clerkships, and their continued "emphasis" on public interest (even though it's a minority of the students. They've also undertaken a construction project to expand the school's facilities. Don't know how much of a "buzz" they have going and whether or not they can edge out CLS this year in the rankings.

+1

nol607

Postby nol607 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:07 am

I'm sure there will be multiple people disagreeing with me (no upward trend! ranking fluctuate from 50-60 last several years! deceptive marketing!!), but I genuinely believe that there is a huge amount of buzz around Cardozo, and I predict it will go up at least five spots in USNWR.

PDaddy I think you have my back on this don't you?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:19 am

adh07d wrote:Vanderbilt seems "hot" right now, after the biglaw placement stats for this past year, and some of the most effective trolling in history of internets by observationalist

+1

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:41 am

This entire thread is so full of 0L hot air it's hilarious.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:47 am

blsingindisguise wrote:This entire thread is so full of 0L hot air it's hilarious.

This entire post is so full of nothing its hilarious.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:50 am

Always Credited wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:This entire thread is so full of 0L hot air it's hilarious.

All of the schools mentioned in this thread just fluctuate within a narrow range from year to year - up a few, down a few. The fact that a T30 school is "gunning for lateral hires" or whatever is meaningless because ALL TOP SCHOOLS DO ALL OF THESE THINGS ALL THE TIME BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL SCRAMBLING TO MAINTAIN/RAISE THEIR RANK.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:51 am

Yale has a pretty good buzz.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:51 am

kalvano wrote:Yale has a pretty good buzz.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:53 am

Further, the idea of law school "buzz" is laughably shallow. Do you think Article III judges and Biglaw hiring partners sit around saying "Hmm, I think we should take more Vanderbilt people this year - there's a real BUZZ around it."

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:55 am

Schools must improve continuously to avoid decay.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:11 am

Always Credited wrote:

What do you expect? we have nothing better to do with our lives right now. Also, the OP asked about applications, nobody on here is asserting that judges and firms are going to drastically change their practices because of "buzz." Although, I have encountered a few partners in NLJ250 firms that do hiring that indicated that they do keep tabs on "programs making movement"

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:19 am

sikwitt wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:After attending NYU's admitted student days it seemed quite evident to me that they are aggressively trying to move up in the rankings via lateral hires, promotion of clerkships, and their continued "emphasis" on public interest (even though it's a minority of the students. They've also undertaken a construction project to expand the school's facilities. Don't know how much of a "buzz" they have going and whether or not they can edge out CLS this year in the rankings.

+1

i love ur tar sikwitt.....20/5/5

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:37 am

EDIT: NYU also had a 20% increase in applications this cycle

I agree on NYU. Something's going on. I read another thread saying they were giving fee waivers to everybody and their mamas this year, despite a claim that they only offer LSAC fee waivers.

nol607 wrote:I'm sure there will be multiple people disagreeing with me (no upward trend! ranking fluctuate from 50-60 last several years! deceptive marketing!!), but I genuinely believe that there is a huge amount of buzz around Cardozo, and I predict it will go up at least five spots in USNWR.

PDaddy I think you have my back on this don't you?

Cardozo has been an exciting school for quite awhile. Many people think it has been top-30 caliber.

I'm wondering what's going to happen in the rankings because of certain schools' "selectivity" improving, really. I think a few schools may jump this year. GWU will improve its rank. Hungry to redeem itself, it will game the rankings...i.e. "artificial buzz". To me, UCI has the realest buzz, though. For a new law school, it seems to be doing everything right. Tulane rebounded well from Katrina, has upped its selectivity because of the rebound, as well as a shrinking class size, and hired a highly coveted dean from UIUC. Tulane might wind up in the top-30 or even top-25 in two or three years if the grades and LSAT's improve with the selectivity. And UCI should be a top-30 school in its first ranking.

I hear mixed things about Chapman. They tout themselves as up-and-coming, but I don't know.

And what about the new programs at NULaw and W & L? do you guys think they've created some excitement?

Maybe the top tier schools have all improved and there are just fewer differences between them.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:48 am

Always Credited wrote:

Right, given that the op asked about what attracts applicants, don't you think we 0Ls are exactly the people to ask?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:53 am

UFMatt wrote:I don't know that a giant leap in ranking (e.g. Indiana) is all that convincing. A slow, steady rise (e.g. Boston, Emory) is more reassuring for applicants.

I would say that new facilities would generate buzz, but places like Michigan and Cornell seemed to have some of the biggest jumps in applications this past year.

Michigan was widely considered the #1 school in the country at one time. New facilities? NYLS, Berkeley, Davis, Ole' Miss, etc...all have nice buildings opening up. But Fordham would have to win that battle hands down. Their building, if it comes to fruition, will be unbelievable. And that kind of luxury, along with Fordham's reputation can attract the kinds of students that could eventually put it in a class with the very best schools.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:54 am

PDaddy wrote:New facilities? NYLS, Berkeley, Davis, Ole' Miss, etc...all have nice buildings opening up.

we can add 'furd to that list: http://www.law.stanford.edu/school/camp ... _building/

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 am

Michigan has a major new complex opening up in Jan. 2012. But I don't think construction really matters when it comes to "buzz" or how good a law school is.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:58 am

Boba Fett wrote:
PDaddy wrote:New facilities? NYLS, Berkeley, Davis, Ole' Miss, etc...all have nice buildings opening up.

we can add 'furd to that list: http://www.law.stanford.edu/school/camp ... _building/

Stanford is already like a damn country club, anyways. With new facilities, some of the students who choose Yale might instead choose Stanford...and Yale may lose its hold on #1. But I read that even if Harvard admitted nothing but 4.0/180 students it couldn't pass Yale. ?????? So on second thought... :?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”