iPad for law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What do you think about the iPad for law school?

Yes, that would be great
17%
No, it would be a hindrance
30%
Hell no, I don't want to be the tool who uses an iPad
53%

Total votes: 352

quickquestionthanks

Re: iPad for law school?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
kswiss wrote:No one needs an iPad, which is why its going to take a long time to convince people to buy one.

They sold almost 700,000 the weekend they were released. The local Best Buy was out of the 16GB model within hours and the 32GB model within a day. Also, a lot of folks who held out on buying initially because of a lack of things like multitasking now know that they can safely buy an iPad now and get multitasking in a fall update. Sales will probably continue to be strong for a while, which is why I don't get it when people keep asserting things like "it'll take a long time to convince people to buy one".

+1 They'll sell 1 million iPads way faster than they sold the first 1 million iPhones.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdail ... lion-mark/

Took them 2.5 months, which is surprising considering there was over 5 years of pent up demand for an Apple cell phone, and they had a product that appeared 1,000,000 times better than any cell phone on the market. The price was too high. They learned their lesson, and waited until they could build and sell a giant iPod touch for 500 bucks and still make 70% margins.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
kswiss wrote:No one needs an iPad, which is why its going to take a long time to convince people to buy one.

They sold almost 700,000 the weekend they were released. The local Best Buy was out of the 16GB model within hours and the 32GB model within a day. Also, a lot of folks who held out on buying initially because of a lack of things like multitasking now know that they can safely buy an iPad now and get multitasking in a fall update. Sales will probably continue to be strong for a while, which is why I don't get it when people keep asserting things like "it'll take a long time to convince people to buy one".

+1 They'll sell 1 million iPads way faster than they sold the first 1 million iPhones.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdail ... lion-mark/

Took them 2.5 months, which is surprising considering there was over 5 years of pent up demand for an Apple cell phone, and they had a product that appeared 1,000,000 times better than any cell phone on the market. The price was too high. They learned their lesson, and waited until they could build and sell a giant iPod touch for 500 bucks and still make 70% margins.

The point still stands: no one needs an iPad. I'm a borderline apple fanboy, and I have absolutely no use for one. I would like one, sure, but it is consumerism at its finest. Create a product that no one needs, then advertise it heavily trying to convince them that they indeed need it, if only to look cool. Seriously, its stuff like this that leads to all this ITE bullshit everyone is freaking out about: convincing people to buy things that they don't need (like big houses, nice cars, and iPads, among a million other things.)

The thing is, they've built a legion of apple drones because of the ipod/iphone. And they launched right when people are getting their tax returns and have money to waste on "culture products." I have no doubt that they'll sell millions, but I don't think that they will create a new market segment.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 pm

kswiss wrote:The point still stands: no one needs an iPad. I'm a borderline apple fanboy, and I have absolutely no use for one. I would like one, sure, but it is consumerism at its finest. Create a product that no one needs, then advertise it heavily trying to convince them that they indeed need it, if only to look cool. Seriously, its stuff like this that leads to all this ITE bullshit everyone is freaking out about: convincing people to buy things that they don't need (like big houses, nice cars, and iPads, among a million other things.)

The thing is, they've built a legion of apple drones because of the ipod/iphone. And they launched right when people are getting their tax returns and have money to waste on "culture products." I have no doubt that they'll sell millions, but I don't think that they will create a new market segment.

Need is a relative term. You know why I want/need one? I hate that putting my notebook on my lap makes my thighs warm. I need it right now. I'm been complaining about it since I got my Apple G3 notebook with 233mhz. Cost? $2,200. Year: 1997. I'd hardly say that Apple's role in the economy has been a bad thing for consumers. There are fewer areas where you get more bang for your buck than in consumer electronics.

As for releasing during tax rebate season....that's called strategic planning and in the real world they reward people for that.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:59 pm

kswiss wrote:The point still stands: no one needs an iPad. I'm a borderline apple fanboy, and I have absolutely no use for one. I would like one, sure, but it is consumerism at its finest. Create a product that no one needs, then advertise it heavily trying to convince them that they indeed need it, if only to look cool.

No one needs a TV, and many people don't need a computer, to be honest. The iPad has the potential to replace both for a lot of people. It's a device that provides information and entertainment in a useful and simple manner.

It is consumerism, but people buy things because they want them, and Apple's ability to provide things that people want makes it a highly successful company. They typically don't create new market segments, but they do release radically better devices in a market segment than what's out there, and grow the market segment as a result. Tablet sales will rise substantially in the next few years, and most of those tablets will be iPads.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I'll probably buy one to use on my couch when I am watching hockey and TV. Not anytime soon, but maybe I'll get one for my birthday or Christmas.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 am

kalvano wrote:I'll probably buy one to use on my couch when I am watching hockey and TV. Not anytime soon, but maybe I'll get one for my birthday or Christmas.

Agreed. I'll probably wait until 2.0 with a front facing camera. If it was something I could throw on my coffee table and video chat/web surf/do stupid shit on, I'd be down. As it is, for 500 right now it does nothing that my laptop can't do.

Thats another annoying thing that Apple does: punish early adopters. Within a year they'll launch another model with more features at a cheaper price, as is their trend. I'll buy that one.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:46 am

kswiss wrote:Thats another annoying thing that Apple does: punish early adopters. Within a year they'll launch another model with more features at a cheaper price, as is their trend. I'll buy that one.

+1.

Anyone with patience gets rewarded by Apple.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:50 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
kswiss wrote:Thats another annoying thing that Apple does: punish early adopters. Within a year they'll launch another model with more features at a cheaper price, as is their trend. I'll buy that one.

+1.

Meh. Apple's most egregious offense was with the iPhone dropping from $599 to $399 in 67 days. Even still those users paid less than $3/day to be the first ones to own an iPhone. How many dudes got laid for having an iPhone? Hundreds, if not thousands. Apple rewards early adopters.

superserial

Postby superserial » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:54 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

+1.

Meh. Apple's most egregious offense was with the iPhone dropping from $599 to $399 in 67 days. Even still those users paid less than $3/day to be the first ones to own an iPhone. How many dudes got laid for having an iPhone? Hundreds, if not thousands. Apple rewards early adopters.

ha. apple's most egregious offense pertains to its prospective software developers who used flash.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:08 am

superserial wrote:
ha. apple's most egregious offense pertains to its prospective software developers who used flash.

Not with regards to early adoption/price issues, but their Flash move is bullshit and seriously detrimental to the Internet as a historical tool. There's so much Flash content from the last +10 years that will be rendered useless. Steve Jobs is an egomaniac.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 am

Saw one of these in person the other day. Looks like a big fat shiny piece of paper.

and yes, the kid using it while standing in the hallway looked stupid.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:56 am

LSpleaseee wrote:Saw one of these in person the other day. Looks like a big fat shiny piece of paper.

and yes, the kid using it while standing in the hallway looked stupid.

But less stupid than someone trying to hold a laptop and use it while standing... :P

I really wish the iPad could be a useful note taking tool but I doubt that the virtual keyboard can be anywhere near as good as a physical one and having to use an attachment kind of defeats the purpose.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:02 am

vanwinkle wrote:The iPad has the potential to replace both for a lot of people.

No, it doesn't. You're an Apple fanboy.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

+1.

Apple also gave out $200 gift cards to every early buyer when they lowered the price.

Next year there's going to be a better iPad. But also there's going to be a better iPhone, iPods, iMacs, and MacBooks. They just announced i7 MacBook Pros even though new MacBook Pros were released last June. And you know what? next year they're going to announce more upgrades that make the products a better buy.

The same goes for the BlackBerry Bold 9000 that was replaced by the 9700 after a year. How many HTC Touch renditions did we see get churned out over a couple of years? And is anyone really looking to buy a Hero now when the Nexus One and Legend exist?

So yeah, I guess you could be patient and not pick up a MBP i7 because you know something better will come next year. But then again, something better will come in two years, and three years, and four years....

There's always something better coming around the corner. Just look at products and their features and ask yourself if it will do the things you want. If it is missing features you want, then wait. But if it's not, who cares what is coming next. No matter when you buy it a better version is coming out soon.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am

Fancy Pants wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

+1.

Apple also gave out $200 gift cards to every early buyer when they lowered the price.

Next year there's going to be a better iPad. But also there's going to be a better iPhone, iPods, iMacs, and MacBooks. They just announced i7 MacBook Pros even though new MacBook Pros were released last June. And you know what? next year they're going to announce more upgrades that make the products a better buy.

The same goes for the BlackBerry Bold 9000 that was replaced by the 9700 after a year. How many HTC Touch renditions did we see get churned out over a couple of years? And is anyone really looking to buy a Hero now when the Nexus One and Legend exist?

So yeah, I guess you could be patient and not pick up a MBP i7 because you know something better will come next year. But then again, something better will come in two years, and three years, and four years....

There's always something better coming around the corner. Just look at products and their features and ask yourself if it will do the things you want. If it is missing features you want, then wait. But if it's not, who cares what is coming next. No matter when you buy it a better version is coming out soon.

the difference in this case is apple has the technology, has the software, has everything they need to make the iPad everything people was hoping it would be, but they chose not to

it's one thing to constantly update your models to keep up with technological advancements and minor detail changes, it's another to completely strip a product of dozens of MAJOR features for no valid reason whatsoever

it's not like USB, Flash, and Multi-tasking are brand new high cost advancements

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 am

uwb09 wrote:The difference in this case is apple has the technology, has the software, has everything they need to make the iPad everything people was hoping it would be, but they chose not to

it's one thing to constantly update your models to keep up with technological advancements and minor detail changes, it's another to completely strip a product of dozens of MAJOR features for no valid reason whatsoever

it's not like USB, Flash, and Multi-tasking are brand new high cost advancements

You not agreeing with the reasons is the not the same thing as not having reasons. The new Windows phone OS is also doing away with traditional multitasking and Apple has given very clear explanations as to why things like Flash are not supported. You are free to not buy an iPad if you want to use Flash and disagree with Apple's reason for not allowing it, but Apple has given reasons whether you agree with them or not.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with my post which addressed what I think are silly claims about early adopting Apple products. You are free to not buy products you don't want, but Apple's bet is there are plenty of people who honestly don't care about those things you mentioned (or would rather go without them if it meant an easier and more fluid experience). Maybe they're right and maybe they're wrong, but it is their product and so my guess is they're going to design it the way they think is best. Don't buy it if you want something else. It really is that simple.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:58 pm

uwb09 wrote:the difference in this case is apple has the technology, has the software, has everything they need to make the iPad everything people was hoping it would be, but they chose not to

The car companies have been doing that for years. It's called running a business.

My Verizon Blackberry Tour doesn't have Wifi. That is way more egregious product stripping.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:04 pm

uwb09 wrote:the difference in this case is apple has the technology, has the software, has everything they need to make the iPad everything people was hoping it would be, but they chose not to

The car companies have been doing that for years. It's called running a business.

My Verizon Blackberry Tour doesn't have Wifi. That is way more egregious product stripping.

exactly, like I said on the page before, Apple does this probably better than anyone

I just find it funny that fan boys make Apple out to be this amazing company that loves it's customers. When in reality Apple probably abuses it's customers' loyalty more than any company I've ever seen in my life

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:12 pm

The iPad is a cool companion computer, but you'd be silly to use it as your main machine for school (right now, anyway). I'm sure this has already been said on pages 1-3.

I went to the Apple store the other day and messed around with one...I was impressed.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Did no one else think it was too heavy?

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Fancy Pants wrote:There's always something better coming around the corner. Just look at products and their features and ask yourself if it will do the things you want. If it is missing features you want, then wait. But if it's not, who cares what is coming next. No matter when you buy it a better version is coming out soon.

you make such a good voice of reason FP. :D

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Please buy an ipad and use it as your primary studying device so the curve pushes my grade up.

Lol @ virtual keyboard
Lol @ carrying extra physical keyboard
Lol @ mac OS
Lol @ no flash
Lol @ iAd firmware
Lol @ not running exam software
Lol @ no USB (i.e. no flash drives)

If you're such a big fanboi, get a mac laptop and limp along with it by booting it into windows. You can make a mac work in law school, but you do know that the legal world (and law school by extension) is a world of PCs and RIM devices right?

JollyGreenGiant wrote:

+1.

You need an iphone to get laid?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm

lobstar wrote:

You need an iphone to get laid?

LOL

Nice try, but I don't have an iPhone. If you recall correctly, when the iPhone was first released, few people had ever seen one up close and their owners became mini-celebrities. I'm sure there were many men who parlayed having a great conversation starter at a bar in the form of an iPhone into getting laid. As I said, I'm sure this happened hundreds if not thousands of times across America.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 pm

lobstar wrote:You need an iphone to get laid?

I vote OP changes title of thread to "Do I need an iPad to get laid?" Or iPhone. Or both.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:42 pm

:roll:

Having a $600 cell phone is a display of wealth. Not sure if you got the memo, but chicks dig wealthy guys.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”