iPad for law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What do you think about the iPad for law school?

Yes, that would be great
17%
No, it would be a hindrance
30%
Hell no, I don't want to be the tool who uses an iPad
53%

Total votes: 352

quickquestionthanks

Re: iPad for law school?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:09 pm

tikiman6 wrote:You probably can't use the iPad the same way you would use a kindle: the kindle has much softer lighting that is easier on the eyes, if you spent all day reading off the standard iPad lighting, your eyes would bleed out and die.

This is the reason I was so sure that the iPad was going to have a color e-ink screen with a backlight. Too bad

Mattalones wrote:I wouldn't care how much of a douche people thought I am for having one. Call me a douche ... I'd be the douche whose books weight less than a pound, while others have to constantly stop by their lockers because of all of the books that are too heavy to cary around.

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:38 pm

I will stick with my iPad Nano -

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Most of what you do in law school with a computer is input. An ipad is primarily an output device.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:12 pm

Peter North wrote:Image

Just got my hands on an iPad at Best Buy...the above is true. The thing is like a stone. Way too heavy.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Peter North wrote:Image

Did you make this with "Numbers" for iPad?
:lol:

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 am

I take notes on my iPod touch at school and it's worked out really well. Class rank #1 at Harvard. I strongly recommend following my lead

dramaticpaws

Postby dramaticpaws » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Multitasking announced today, coming to iPad in the fall.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:52 pm

dramaticpaws wrote:Image

Why is a physical keyboard better for something designed to be held in one hand? It adds unnecessary bulk for a lot of the iPad's uses.

Who uses a LAN port on something that's meant to be a portable device? That's what Wi-Fi is for.

Who cares if you have a removable battery if it's only good for 3-4 hours? The iPad's good for 10, and all the reviews confirm this is real. (There are netbooks out there with longer battery life, but not at a $250 price point.)

The iPad has an available video out cable.

Why should I care about an "open platform"? Look at what's happening with Android. "Open" means that each cell phone carrier is free to take the entire OS, rejigger it how they want, and then limit it how they want. "Open" doesn't mean the phone gets all the way to the consumer completely open, thanks to the cell phone companies and their grip on their phones. AT&T is locking their new Android phones down so you can only install apps you buy from AT&T. I actually prefer Apple maintain control in that case.

And, as has been mentioned, multi-tasking is coming.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:56 pm

of course multi-tasking is coming, USB will come one day also, and all that other BS

and by then Apple will be on its 3rd or 4th launch, and all the apple fan boys will have bought each and every one

when it comes to pricing discrimination, apple knows how to screw it's fan base out of as much money as they can, and they do it perfectly

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:10 pm

uwb09 wrote:of course multi-tasking is coming, USB will come one day also, and all that other BS

and by then Apple will be on its 3rd or 4th launch, and all the apple fan boys will have bought each and every one

when it comes to pricing discrimination, apple knows how to screw it's fan base out of as much money as they can, and they do it perfectly

I was going to correct you that multi-tasking is real (announced today) and not some "one day" thing that will require buying new hardware... but then I just noticed on the Apple site that multitasking ability will only be supported on the newer iPhone 3GS, which I don't have. Sonofabitch.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:11 pm

Can iPad run SofTest?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
uwb09 wrote:of course multi-tasking is coming, USB will come one day also, and all that other BS

I was going to correct you that multi-tasking is real (announced today) and not some "one day" thing that will require buying new hardware... but then I just noticed on the Apple site that multitasking ability will only be supported on the newer iPhone 3GS, which I don't have. Sonofabitch.

im not saying that you were wrong, i'm agreeing that it will come one day

what many diehard apple fans fail to see is that Apple could have all these features and hardware upgrades available now if they wanted to. But they know that their diehard fan base will pay a massive markup, for a vastly underfeatured product, because well, they will buy anything apple spits out.

Once apple is done taking in all the money from their "sleep in the street all night for every night product steve jobs throws at them" segment, they will lower the price a bit, add some more features, and bring in a whole new revenue stream. Once that stream is run out, they will fill it with all the features, drop the price even more, and that is basically their mass market model.

like i said, apple knows what they are doing, they probably already have a perfectly working mass market model right now, but they know they can make more money by slow releasing lesser models because their customers believe deep in their hearts that apple is the end all to be all, and that "apple really cares about it's customers"

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:49 pm

What about getting an iPad & keyboard dock to use for note-taking/carrying around campus and having a laptop/desktop at home?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:52 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:What about getting an iPad & keyboard dock to use for note-taking/carrying around campus and having a laptop/desktop at home?

That is indeed my suggestion in the original post.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Interesting article about how the ipad might change the legal workspace.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/a_legal_ipad

queenofhearts

Postby queenofhearts » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:36 pm

did you see the video explaining the iPad on Apple's website? literally every person for every feature explanation is lounging exaggeratedly. it's kinda funny. i can just see sitting in class: wait a minute please while i kick my feet up so i can lounge and use the iPad as the video suggests i should....

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:28 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Interesting article about how the ipad might change the legal workspace.

Keep dreaming, Apple fanboy.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:34 pm

queenofhearts wrote:did you see the video explaining the iPad on Apple's website? literally every person for every feature explanation is lounging exaggeratedly. it's kinda funny. i can just see sitting in class: wait a minute please while i kick my feet up so i can lounge and use the iPad as the video suggests i should....

The more I watch, the more I realize what a joke this device is. It's tailored for people that aren't internet savvy, and don't have to produce anything substantial. Safari is limited due to flash, you can't edit pictures, Pages is a sorry excuse for Powerpoint. One video even mentioned that you should use the optional keyboards if you have a lot to type... at that point why don't you just have a laptop with you?

The device is simply not designed to be used in workplace/school environment, merely for consuming entertainment.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:57 pm

zozin wrote:The device is simply not designed to be used in workplace/school environment, merely for consuming entertainment.

Yes, but this doesn't make it a joke, it makes it brilliant. Apple makes its money and does its best work selling entertainment devices. The iPod was an entertainment device, but that doesn't stop people from buying them over and over again.

The mistake isn't that the iPad isn't meant for a workplace/school environment, the mistake is that people assumed the iPad would be meant for a workplace/school environment. Those who didn't make that mistake love it for what it is.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Interesting article about how the ipad might change the legal workspace.

This article used an entire webpage to say "The iPad may or may not replace the legal pad." Obviously written by a lawyer :-)

Anyway, I went to go play with one of these iPads yesterday ... They were really cool! I could type on the on-screen keyboard at the same speed as my regular keyboard, which was unbelievable.

That being said, however, it is obviously no replacement for any device (computer or smartphone). It is a really cool supplement for people who have the money.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:17 pm

BTW some dude had an iPad in my UG MassComm law class yesterday. He looked like a total deuche. It was a class that actually requires note taking, and he was drastically behind. He also owns a MBP which he usually brings and records the lectures while taking notes in the word notebook view (he sits right in front of me.) I was laughing in my head, because he was drastically changing his notetaking style just so he could use his shiny iPad. He was all hunched over so that he could type, and in order to interface with the rest of his notes he's going to have to export the pages file and copy and paste into word. It seems a little ridiculous.

Anyway, I thought it was funny to see one in the wild. I'll wait until they get more features and I have $500 to spend on a luxury item before I buy something like that. No one needs an iPad, which is why its going to take a long time to convince people to buy one.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:32 pm

kswiss wrote:No one needs an iPad, which is why its going to take a long time to convince people to buy one.

They sold almost 700,000 the weekend they were released. The local Best Buy was out of the 16GB model within hours and the 32GB model within a day. Also, a lot of folks who held out on buying initially because of a lack of things like multitasking now know that they can safely buy an iPad now and get multitasking in a fall update. Sales will probably continue to be strong for a while, which is why I don't get it when people keep asserting things like "it'll take a long time to convince people to buy one".

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:I'm just waiting for the iPad to drive the price of the Amazon Kindle down so I can purchase one of those.

YES PLZ

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”