Law clinics under fire from special interests

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby b.gump81 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:55 pm

It is a shame that law schools in states not directly threatened by this legislation will still become restricted as their law clinics become more cautious and limited in what cases they take on.

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:02 pm

State money should not be used to protect the state environment, citizens health or insure the safety of its citizens! Madness! Those crazy law students; don't they know that the money is supposed to go into the pockets of the regulators and corrupt politicians and lobbyists? What are they teaching at law school these days?

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby Z3RO » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:State money should not be used to protect the state environment, citizens health or insure the safety of its citizens! Madness! Those crazy law students; that money is supposed to go into the pockets of the regulators and corrupt politicians and lobbyists?

The only solace is that these states will reap what they sow....

Except that they just end up relying on federal money to fix their problems:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

Notice that LA is #4.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:07 pm

I see no reason why legislatures should not be able to stop funding clinics whenever they deem it appropriate.

That says nothing about the merits of this case, i.e. whether they should deem it appropriate in this instance.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 pm

soullesswonder wrote:Silver Lining: obviously students are getting great practical experience and actually making a difference; otherwise they wouldn't be pissing people off.


Flawless logic. :roll:

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Also I certainly don't see any reason that legislatures shouldn't be able to see who the clinics they fund are representing.

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 pm

bigben wrote:I see no reason why legislatures should not be able to stop funding clinics whenever they deem it appropriate.

That says nothing about the merits of this case, i.e. whether they should deem it appropriate in this instance.

Because legislators could never possibly have their judgment swayed by interest and lobbying groups. No, they're always very fair, balanced and completely unbiased.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:15 pm

nuss3 wrote:pretty outrageous. kind of sad when something so important as checking special interest is left to students (although the opportunity for the students is obviously great).


It's not left to students. Any attorney can take the case.

User avatar
firebreathingliberal
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby firebreathingliberal » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Z3RO wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:State money should not be used to protect the state environment, citizens health or insure the safety of its citizens! Madness! Those crazy law students; that money is supposed to go into the pockets of the regulators and corrupt politicians and lobbyists?

The only solace is that these states will reap what they sow....

Except that they just end up relying on federal money to fix their problems:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

Notice that LA is #4.


That study is from 2005..... I'm pretty sure New Orleans was destroyed by a hurricane that year.....................

There isn't much these students can do if the legislatures cut off their funding. Other than having bikini car washes to raise some dough. It's pretty unfortunate too since the clinics provide valuable public services to other, less controversial parties who also can't afford attorneys.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:19 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
bigben wrote:I see no reason why legislatures should not be able to stop funding clinics whenever they deem it appropriate.

That says nothing about the merits of this case, i.e. whether they should deem it appropriate in this instance.

Because legislators could never possibly have their judgment swayed by interest and lobbying groups. No, they're always very fair, balanced and completely unbiased.


Welcome to democracy. Or perhaps more precisely, welcome to human nature.

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:24 pm

bigben wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:
bigben wrote:I see no reason why legislatures should not be able to stop funding clinics whenever they deem it appropriate.

That says nothing about the merits of this case, i.e. whether they should deem it appropriate in this instance.

Because legislators could never possibly have their judgment swayed by interest and lobbying groups. No, they're always very fair, balanced and completely unbiased.


Welcome to democracy. Or perhaps more precisely, welcome to human nature.

I suppose in that case we should let greed and corruption run rampant because its 'human nature' and not attempt to do a thing about it...I don't disagree with your point just don't believe we should do nothing about it.
Were a Democratic Republic not a Democracy FWIW

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:27 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:I suppose in that case we should let greed and corruption run rampant because its 'human nature' and not attempt to do a thing about it...I don't disagree with your point just don't believe we should do nothing about it.
Were a Democratic Republic not a Democracy FWIW

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Of course you're right. I just don't know if there is any corruption or serious problem in this case. Law professors and students can be biased too, you know.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby bigben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:36 pm

This should be a lesson for those who wish to continue indiscriminately increasing the extent to which government funds (and may thereby control) our institutions of higher education (including so-called private institutions).

nuss3
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby nuss3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

bigben wrote:
nuss3 wrote:pretty outrageous. kind of sad when something so important as checking special interest is left to students (although the opportunity for the students is obviously great).


It's not left to students. Any attorney can take the case.


not every attorney has the requisite time, money, and knowledge to handle the case. law clinics (in addition to PI in general) function as de facto stopgaps for cases with little financial return exactly because not only are some lawyers unable to handle a case like this, but many simply don't want to. more than one level of limiting factors is at play in this situation.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Law clinics under fire from special interests

Postby gymboree » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 pm

Cupidity wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Poor fools don't know who they are messing with. All judges were once law students. Anyone who goes after law schools is in for a world of hurt.

Judges in Louisiana are elected, and are not required to recuse themselves from cases due to conflict of interest to the same extent they are in many other states. Pwned.

let it make it to the supreme court.


The Supreme Court could work full time and year round just overturning Louisiana legal decisions and statutes.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TriSapien and 10 guests