Grad School before Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Grad School before Law School?

Postby NayBoer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:26 pm

keg411 wrote:The only real way to guard against a very strange sub3 cycle is to break 172 on the LSAT and ED to Northwestern.
You rang?

Actually, 171 + ED was enough this year. Assuming WE.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Grad School before Law School?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:37 pm

ryanr wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Get some real-world work experience. A couple years of work experience (along with a high LSAT score) will help you overcome a low GPA, and it'll allow you to make money for two years instead of getting a head start on accruing a mountain of debt.

Getting an MA just for the sake of law school admissions is pretty stupid and a waste of your time and money.


I do have some real world work experience, but would post-grad work experience be looked upon more favorably? I have spent my entire undergrad working at the director level in a hotel. I was hoping to use this to my advantage in applying to Northwestern, but unless I rock the LSAT, my gpa is going to undoubtedly kill me in that regard.


Ha, NU is the only t13 that your 2.8 won't kill you. But what will kill you is not having any post graduate work experience. See if you can direct that hotel full time. Kill the LSAT (171 a bare minimum, 172 is better) then apply ED to NU next year.

NayBoer beat me to it.

singingvontrapp
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Grad School before Law School?

Postby singingvontrapp » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:48 pm

From my perspective (currently in the academia since 7+ years), a terminal MA is something academic (as opposed to more practical, professional) departments offer to fill out graduate seminars and make some money on the side. If I were looking to make up for low UG GPA and improve my chances at a top law school, I would do something useful and noteworthy, like Teach for America or even just a regular job.

However if history interests you and it wouldn't cost you too much, there's no reason not to do it. Maybe you will end up discovering that your heart is really in research and teaching and try for real academia.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Grad School before Law School?

Postby IAFG » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 pm

get a job in DC/state capitol. enroll in evening MPP program. if you still want to go to LS, fine, but you don't really need a JD for policy work.

User avatar
WrappedUpInBooks
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

Re: Grad School before Law School?

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:07 pm

You could also do AmeriCorps. You'll be able to put your undergrad loans in forbearance, and AmeriCorps will pay all the interest you accrue. On top of that, you'll get an education award of around $5,000 to go towards loans (or law school). And, you'll make enough to live off of, and not acquire more debt.

I did AmeriCorps, and a lot of adcoms commented on it in my acceptance letters. Leaves you plenty of time to study for LSATs too.

ryanr
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Grad School before Law School?

Postby ryanr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 pm

singingvontrapp wrote:However if history interests you and it wouldn't cost you too much, there's no reason not to do it. Maybe you will end up discovering that your heart is really in research and teaching and try for real academia.


This is actually my primary reason for considering the MA in History. I love history, have done well in all my history classes, and could take a year to further evaluate if I am willing to go into serious debt for an education in law. As you say, perhaps I will become more interested in pursuing a career in academia and pursue a doctorate. Either way, I have always enjoyed history more than any of my classes...

ryanr
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: Grad School before Law School?

Postby ryanr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:24 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:You could also do AmeriCorps. You'll be able to put your undergrad loans in forbearance, and AmeriCorps will pay all the interest you accrue. On top of that, you'll get an education award of around $5,000 to go towards loans (or law school). And, you'll make enough to live off of, and not acquire more debt.

I did AmeriCorps, and a lot of adcoms commented on it in my acceptance letters. Leaves you plenty of time to study for LSATs too.


I am going to look into AmeriCorps. I had never really researched it much, and only vaguely heard about it. From what you describe it sounds like it could serve my purpose extremely well for a year off before law school.

Thanks!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], sfn91 and 6 guests