Question about Philosophy Majors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Will my decision to choose the Philosophy major affect law school admissions?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 55

hyunseoki

Question about Philosophy Majors

Postby hyunseoki » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:42 am

I'm currently an "Interdepartmental" Philosophy/Political Science major at my university. I left undergrad last year so that I can work for about two years overseas, and will return in 2011.

The more I think about it, the more stupid it seems: I actually did the phil/poly sci combo to make myself look more "marketable." Evidently, this is just dank. I'm truly interested in philosophy, and am interested in pursuing a Ph.D in philsophy one day. Would this affect my chances in law school admissions at all??? Should I just keep the "interdepartmental" major, or just go for the single Philosophy major?

Thanks guys.

KG_CalGuy

Re: Question about Philosophy Majors

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:00 am

I voted no but there is one exception. Interdepartmental vs. pure philosophy won't make a drastic difference in how your application is perceived provided that you still take legitimate courses.

However, if you have an interest in pursuing a joint PhD/JD program, having that express interest in philosophy might be of significance when applying.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:51 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:Interdepartmental vs. pure philosophy won't make a [strike]drastic[/strike] difference in how your application is perceived [strike]provided that you still take legitimate courses.[/strike]

This will not affect your cycle AT ALL. I don't mean a little bit, I mean at all

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:03 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:This will not affect your cycle AT ALL. I don't mean a little bit, I mean at all

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:17 am

Easy classes with A grades is best for law school. Seemingly hard classes (400 level with fancy names) with A grades is best for Phil PhD programs. Getting into a funded Philosophy PhD program is much harder than getting into a top law school.

Postby 270910 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 am

Based on my experiences, it will probably affect your chances of being an insufferable toolbag once you get to law school, but probably won't affect your chances of getting in.

singingvontrapp

Postby singingvontrapp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:57 am

disco_barred wrote:Based on my experiences, it will probably affect your chances of being an insufferable toolbag once you get to law school, but probably won't affect your chances of getting in.

This more or less.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:05 pm

It will make grad school a must since NO ONE will hire a philosophy major.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:38 pm

I voted yes, because I think that the philosophy major will help you do well on the LSAT, and thereby enhance your prospects for admission to a top law school. Being a philosophy major is is at least a +2 on your score. I have no data to back up my causal claim, but there is a correlation between being a phil major and doing well on the LSAT.

chocho

Postby chocho » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:49 pm

I voted no, but the real answer is yes, as a philo major myself, any decision you will make will alter everything. but as far as im sure u meant it, no it doesnt matter i wouldnt think.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:57 pm

MURPH wrote:Easy classes with A grades is best for law school. Seemingly hard classes (400 level with fancy names) with A grades is best for Phil PhD programs. Getting into a funded Philosophy PhD program is much harder than getting into a top law school.

TITCR

hyunseoki

Postby hyunseoki » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to switch to Philosophy permanently. Forget this interdepartmental bullcrap.

If the ultimate career goal that I have in mind is Law and Philosophy, what are some good practice areas that I could work in for a couple of years before heading off for a PhD? Answers would be extremely appreciated.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:16 am

Choosing philosophy will help your gpa since you're interested in it and it will probably help you by a point or two on the LSAT. My course in logic definitely helped me on that formal logic question on the september 2009 lsat (something about a hand weaved hat or something.) Most people got that question wrong and I probably would've too if not for logic.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:20 am

hyunseoki wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to switch to Philosophy permanently. Forget this interdepartmental bullcrap.

If the ultimate career goal that I have in mind is Law and Philosophy, what are some good practice areas that I could work in for a couple of years before heading off for a PhD? Answers would be extremely appreciated.

I don't understand how "law and philosophy" is a career area. Do you mean to suggest that you want to be an academic who works in this area? If so, it is hard to see how any practice areas could possibly help you (if you mean practice areas of law). Are you referring to getting a Phd in philosophy and a JD? If you really want to get into a joint program with strengths in this area, NYU is the school you should try for. Admission to the philosophy graduate program is much more competitive than admission to the law school, and getting into the law school is itself an accomplishment of sorts. But the joint degree would make you an attractive candidate in philosophy programs, and also law programs if you have very good grades.

hyunseoki

Postby hyunseoki » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:45 am

sumus romani wrote:
hyunseoki wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to switch to Philosophy permanently. Forget this interdepartmental bullcrap.

I don't understand how "law and philosophy" is a career area. Do you mean to suggest that you want to be an academic who works in this area? If so, it is hard to see how any practice areas could possibly help you (if you mean practice areas of law). Are you referring to getting a Phd in philosophy and a JD? If you really want to get into a joint program with strengths in this area, NYU is the school you should try for. Admission to the philosophy graduate program is much more competitive than admission to the law school, and getting into the law school is itself an accomplishment of sorts. But the joint degree would make you an attractive candidate in philosophy programs, and also law programs if you have very good grades.

I'm sorry for not being clear about things. I'm interested in law teaching, and am hoping that I'll be able to do that by producing scholarship in Law and Philosophy. But since I want to have at least some practice experience before becoming a full-time scholar, I was asking for what type of practice areas in law are akin to the study of Law and Philosophy.

I don't plan on pursuing a joint degree though. Not only am I not able to afford it, but just prefer to study law and philosophy separately. I do plan on getting a PhD about during my early to mid thirties, though. Still got 10+ years...

Also, just out of curiosity, and I know I'm asking so many questions here, but: Does anybody know of an article focused on obtaining a position as a clinical professor? There's a ton of literature on the topic of "becoming a law professor," but this doesn't seem to be the case for clinical law teaching. Thanks.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:48 pm

I believe most schools do not offer tenure to clinical faculty (some do). They also don't expect much scholarship from clinical faculty. If you want to be a tenured prof then you shouldn't get sidetracked into a clinical position. Get your JD (or JD/MA) then work a while. Pay off your loans. Then start working on your PhD. The PhD portion should be fully funded anyway.
I am planning on getting my JD and PhD. At the same time if I can.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Is it true that academics devalue the PhD when it's part of a joint degree? Also, would having a JD from HYS help out with admission to a prestigious Philosophy PhD program?

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:58 pm

OneKnight wrote:
MURPH wrote:Easy classes with A grades is best for law school. Seemingly hard classes (400 level with fancy names) with A grades is best for Phil PhD programs. Getting into a funded Philosophy PhD program is much harder than getting into a top law school.

TITCR

+1
edit: from a philosophy major.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:03 pm

chocho wrote:I voted no, but the real answer is yes, as a philo major myself, any decision you will make will alter everything. but as far as im sure u meant it, no it doesnt matter i wouldnt think.

This is why you guys are unemployable btw.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chocho wrote:I voted no, but the real answer is yes, as a philo major myself, any decision you will make will alter everything. but as far as im sure u meant it, no it doesnt matter i wouldnt think.

Versatile and meaningful thinking? Yeah those are horrible qualities.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:11 pm

champ33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I bet you have a big right forearm

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

this one almost made me choke on my water... 180 amazing

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
champ33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I go double-handed, like a plunger.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:14 pm

champ33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

It is neither versatile nor meaningful.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:15 pm

champ33 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
champ33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This is why you guys are unemployable btw.

I go double-handed, like a plunger.

LOL credited response.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”