New York Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Re: New York Law School

Postby bk1 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:00 pm

rgucsb wrote:your an idiot, I understand that a TJLS degree will confine me to San Diego

My concern is about spending another 3 years of school in Cali, working there is a completely different story

I should have been more concise for you

You are either the most persistent troll I have ever seen or incredibly dense. On the off-chance that you are the latter (and if you are the former, yay you got me to fall for your troll), stop doing yourself a disservice and instead retake the LSAT in October and reapply early next cycle.

SuperFreak

Postby SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 am

Sounds like shit. Go to Fordham.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 am

rgucsb wrote:your an idiot, I understand that a TJLS degree will confine me to San Diego

My concern is about spending another 3 years of school in Cali, working there is a completely different story

"your an idiot", really? It's "you're", maybe you should skip LS.

SuperFreak

Postby SuperFreak » Thu May 27, 2010 8:06 am

CG614 wrote:

Grammar school?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 27, 2010 8:25 am

Was only a matter of time before this turned into a shit show...

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:43 am

SuperFreak wrote:
CG614 wrote:

Grammar school?

Yes, a redo of K-12 may be in order, a la Billy Madison.

Willlaweventually

Postby Willlaweventually » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:47 pm

After being accepted back in March, I was recently waitlisted after erroneously not sending in my second tuition payment on time. I received an email a week later informing me that I forfeited my seat. I'm really hurt and distraught right now. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't really have any options at this point aside from Hofstra's wait list.... :(

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:59 am

Willlaweventually wrote:After being accepted back in March, I was recently waitlisted after erroneously not sending in my second tuition payment on time. I received an email a week later informing me that I forfeited my seat. I'm really hurt and distraught right now. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't really have any options at this point aside from Hofstra's wait list.... :(

Make thread about it. Bask in the win

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:25 am

Willlaweventually wrote:After being accepted back in March, I was recently waitlisted after erroneously not sending in my second tuition payment on time. I received an email a week later informing me that I forfeited my seat. I'm really hurt and distraught right now. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't really have any options at this point aside from Hofstra's wait list.... :(

Retake and reapply.

MauveDinosaur

Postby MauveDinosaur » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm

rad law wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:How good is NYLS's international law program?

lulz

I've noticed that "international law" is sort of the butt of jokes around here and other law school admissions forums--why is this so? I'm genuinely interested in asylum law, so I just wanna know what I'm getting into. :)

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 pm

MauveDinosaur wrote:
rad law wrote:

lulz

I've noticed that "international law" is sort of the butt of jokes around here and other law school admissions forums--why is this so? I'm genuinely interested in asylum law, so I just wanna know what I'm getting into. :)

Mostly because many people's perception of international law doesn't exist.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Intl. law is like the Monopoly money of law.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 pm

this thread is full of amazing.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:25 pm

1) Retake.
2) Go to Fordham.

MauveDinosaur

Postby MauveDinosaur » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:26 pm

To the OP: It seems like a poor investment to me. The tuition is outrageously high for a school of its caliber, and job prospects are dim, especially ITE. According to the NYLS profile on TLS,"the average NYLS student graduates owing nearly $130,000 in student loans, making the school #2 in the nation in terms of graduates with the highest debt." Yikes! The people on here discouraging you from going there are not elitist--they're just helping you by making a realistic costs vs. benefits analysis.

If you don't have the numbers to attend a higher ranked school in NYC, try CUNY--Queens. The tuition is reasonable ($10,240 annually for residents), and the school has really carved out a niche for itself in the NYC public interest market.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:33 pm

merichard87 wrote:
MauveDinosaur wrote:
rad law wrote:

lulz

Mostly because many people's perception of international law doesn't exist.

International law is a really ambiguous term and most people don't really know what they mean when they say it.

International law as far as doing cross-border corporate stuff doesn't really exist. It is usually just one biglaw firm doing stuff on one side and another on the other side (there are exception to this, as always).

International human rights stuff does exist, but it is really hard to break into something that is interesting and which pays even okay. Asylum law in particular is pretty specialized, so your best bet there is probably to look for a job in USCIS or a non-profit which helps immigrants claiming asylum. Not easy.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Funny that this thread popped up. A friend of mine just won the "lottery" at NYLS (i.e. top of the class). I really really hope she transfers.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 pm

I don't know why you come hear asking for advice if you're going to ignore it all anyway. Neither of those schools is worth that kind of money.

unhappyjd

Postby unhappyjd » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm a 2010 NYLS grad. Listen - going to law school at all right now is a terrible idea. Act with some rational self-interest and avoid $140-$200,000 of debt that you will never repay.

Going to law school at all is a bad idea. Going to NYLS is REALLY FREAKIN BAD IDEA! Hardly anyone I know from 2010 has a job. Lots of people form 2007-2009 also don't have jobs. This is economic suicide. Act with some rational self-interest and don't go.

NYLS has a lot of convincing propaganda about why you should attend. IT'S ALL LIES!

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 am

rgucsb wrote:I know it's rank is extremely low, but does anyone (specifically from the New York area) know more about this school?

Please spare me the elitism--The response I'm not looking for is "Retake the LSAT and get into Fordham". I'm more curious about New York Law School's reputation.

Thanks.

I know the new hired partner at my last job (law firm, 130 or so lawyers, multiple states, east and west coast, low six figure starting salary) went there. He was also on Law Review though

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Its a toilet law school full of dumb rats that were too lazy to retake the LsAt to attend a decent school. I hope the legal community continues to punish the idiots who attend such a shithole and the school gets shut down. Suicide is better than taking out200k for a shitty job.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:51 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:Its a toilet law school full of dumb rats that were too lazy to retake the LsAt to attend a decent school. I hope the legal community continues to punish the idiots who attend such a shithole and the school gets shut down. Suicide is better than taking out200k for a shitty job.

Hmm, thought you got permbanned. Oh well, there's always next time.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:06 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:Its a toilet law school full of dumb rats that were too lazy to retake the LsAt to attend a decent school. I hope the legal community continues to punish the idiots who attend such a shithole and the school gets shut down. Suicide is better than taking out200k for a shitty job.

Yea, I'm sure the partner making 200k plus a year is laughing all the way to the bank, and you are the one who will burn out and off himself

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:

Yea, I'm sure the partner making 200k plus a year is laughing all the way to the bank, and you are the one who will burn out and off himself

Ignore dukelawguy. He's a fucktarded troll who should have been permanently banned long ago.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Yeah I thought this douchebag was permabanned a long time ago.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”