Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby booboo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:35 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Education. Guaranteed 3.8+, even if you're a total idiot.


Image

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:43 pm

chanchito wrote:Pick a major that makes you read a lot. That looks good and gives you practice for LSAT/law school: poli sci, philosophy, history, etc


This is sound advice for gaining a good skill set. The study of law revolves around reading and the practice of law revolves around argumentation through the written word. Majoring in a subject that requires you to read a lot and write plenty of papers is probably going to give you the most helpful experience.

As for strictly being accepted into law schools you just want to get the highest GPA you possibly can. If you take courses that help you understand arguments (like philosophy) it might also help you on the LSAT. I personally found economics to be really helpful on the LSAT. If your econ program doesn't totally suck you'll be well equipped to think about casual relationships and you'll learn enough math/statistics to not be at a disadvantage there.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby im_blue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:43 pm

RickyRoe wrote:
im_blue wrote:Pick whatever major will give you the highest GPA.

green wrote:Major in whatever makes you happy.


I disagree. Major in a field that you could see yourself working in if law school doesn't work out. You obviously don't know that you want to be a lawyer, so find a field that would give you a decent plan B if law school doesn't work out. You don't want to wake up in 3 years and realize you don't want to be a lawyer, but you are forced to go to law school anyways because that degree in basket-weaving doesn't exactly have employers fighting over you.

Sounds reasonable in theory, but the reality is that any marketable bachelor's degree such as engineering or CS would likely result in a significantly lower GPA. A business or econ major might be an OK compromise for this approach.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby D. H2Oman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Clint Eastwood wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Education. Guaranteed 3.8+, even if you're a total idiot.


Is it easier than Communications?


No, definitely education is easier the communications.

And, honestly, the supposed easiness of communications is way overblown. Sure, it is easy to get a C, or even a B, but A's are still challenging, especially because most of your grading is subjective.

Honestly, many otherwise extremely intelligent people would have trouble standing up in front of a class and giving a speech or presentation. I've had a few engineers/scientists admit as much to be during conversations.

A lot of communications is not giving speeches or presentations though, contrary to popular belief. A lot of the "easy" rep comes from the athletes who take communications because, i'll admit, it's pretty difficult to fail a communications class, and not too hard to get a C or B.

I would say that Communications is on the same difficulty tier as other liberal arts majors, such as English and Psychology.



TITCR,

Communications is objectively one of the most challenging UG majors. The Communications majors are generally intellectual heavyweights, while the Education majors usually have trouble locating the classroom.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby legalease9 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:00 pm

hoyas2010 wrote:"heyguys"- have you ever heard the reasoning behind that? I'm just curious because I feel like accounting/finance would be quite helpful if one wanted to practice certain types of corp law.


Law Schools like to see writing, and if you haven't taken a heavy writing load they MAY look down on that. However, I don't think this should guide a major decision. Just take backup writing classes if you major in something like accounting/finance.

yellowblue
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby yellowblue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:02 pm

He who is trained in the severest way is most prepared. Major in mathematics. Figure out how to get straight A's. The LSAT and then law school will be a breeze when you get there.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:12 pm

A major that will allow you to get a high GPA is obviously important. BUT if you decide to take some brain-dead major, you are going to be screwed when you try to write or read anything in law school. My writing has improved tremendously, because my major requires me to write essays constantly. Sometimes I'll proof someone else's paper and it sounds like a freshman in high school wrote it. These are the types of people that are going to be no competition in law school.

heyguys
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby heyguys » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:15 pm

hoyas2010 wrote:"heyguys"- have you ever heard the reasoning behind that? I'm just curious because I feel like accounting/finance would be quite helpful if one wanted to practice certain types of corp law.



generally, the profs in question said that they find the accounting/finance folks to not be very interesting thinkers, and that they tend to game the system to get in by acing the LSAT, which said profs don't put much stock in. I'm not endorsing their views, it's just a sentiment that I've heard floating around.

yellowblue
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby yellowblue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:16 pm

honestabe84 wrote:A major that will allow you to get a high GPA is obviously important. BUT if you decide to take some brain-dead major, you are going to be screwed when you try to write or read anything in law school. My writing has improved tremendously, because my major requires me to write essays constantly. Sometimes I'll proof someone else's paper and it sounds like a freshman in high school wrote it. These are the types of people that are going to be no competition in law school.


How do you know someone who writes at a high school level will get into a law school. Furthermore how do you know how someone will do in law school based on their writing ability in college. Your not even in law school.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:18 pm

yellowblue wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:A major that will allow you to get a high GPA is obviously important. BUT if you decide to take some brain-dead major, you are going to be screwed when you try to write or read anything in law school. My writing has improved tremendously, because my major requires me to write essays constantly. Sometimes I'll proof someone else's paper and it sounds like a freshman in high school wrote it. These are the types of people that are going to be no competition in law school.


How do you know someone who writes at a high school level will get into a law school. Furthermore how do you know how someone will do in law school based on their writing ability in college. You're not even in law school.


Fixed

Why wouldn't they be able to get into law school? You don't have to be a good writer to do well on the LSAT.

Someone who writes on a high school level is going to have trouble in law school because it is centered around writing and reading.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 pm

honestabe84 wrote:Someone who writes on a high school level is going to have trouble in law school because it is centered around writing and reading.

lol

User avatar
basicgrey7
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby basicgrey7 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:35 pm

classygent235 wrote:I'm thinking I may want to go to law school.

I'm currently a finance major but I'm thinking I may want to change my major to a double major in Psychology and Philosophy with a possible minor in English. (I did not choose these majors as an attempt to stand out to admissions officers, but rather these topics truly interest me)

Do you think this would be a good choice of majors for law school?

Any thoughts are really appreciated. Thanks.

I knew a finance major in UG who went into estate law.

yellowblue
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby yellowblue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:35 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
yellowblue wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:A major that will allow you to get a high GPA is obviously important. BUT if you decide to take some brain-dead major, you are going to be screwed when you try to write or read anything in law school. My writing has improved tremendously, because my major requires me to write essays constantly. Sometimes I'll proof someone else's paper and it sounds like a freshman in high school wrote it. These are the types of people that are going to be no competition in law school.


How do you know someone who writes at a high school level will get into a law school. Furthermore how do you know how someone will do in law school based on their writing ability in college. You're not even in law school.


Fixed

Why wouldn't they be able to get into law school? You don't have to be a good writer to do well on the LSAT.

Someone who writes on a high school level is going to have trouble in law school because it is centered around writing and reading.





No but you have to write essays to get into law school. How do you know that someone who writes at that level can think and read at a level high enough to do well on the lsat. you dont. my point is your statements are wild speculation. you dont know any of this, although you act like you do.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby honestabe84 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 pm

yellowblue wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
yellowblue wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:A major that will allow you to get a high GPA is obviously important. BUT if you decide to take some brain-dead major, you are going to be screwed when you try to write or read anything in law school. My writing has improved tremendously, because my major requires me to write essays constantly. Sometimes I'll proof someone else's paper and it sounds like a freshman in high school wrote it. These are the types of people that are going to be no competition in law school.


How do you know someone who writes at a high school level will get into a law school. Furthermore how do you know how someone will do in law school based on their writing ability in college. You're not even in law school.


Fixed

Why wouldn't they be able to get into law school? You don't have to be a good writer to do well on the LSAT.

Someone who writes on a high school level is going to have trouble in law school because it is centered around writing and reading.





No but you have to write essays to get into law school. How do you know that someone who writes at that level can think and read at a level high enough to do well on the lsat. you dont. my point is your statements are wild speculation. you dont know any of this, although you act like you do.


Someone with a 170 and a 3.9 does not have to write a good PS to get into law school.

yellowblue
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby yellowblue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:49 pm

How do you know someone who writes at a high school level will get into a law school. Furthermore how do you know how someone will do in law school based on their writing ability in college. You're not even in law school.[/quote]

Fixed

Why wouldn't they be able to get into law school? You don't have to be a good writer to do well on the LSAT.

Someone who writes on a high school level is going to have trouble in law school because it is centered around writing and reading.[/quote]




No but you have to write essays to get into law school. How do you know that someone who writes at that level can think and read at a level high enough to do well on the lsat. you dont. my point is your statements are wild speculation. you dont know any of this, although you act like you do.[/quote]

Someone with a 170 and a 3.9 does not have to write a good PS to get into law school.[/quote]

Your assuming someone who cannot write has the ability to get those numbers, which is wrong.

kevin261186
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby kevin261186 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:06 pm

this thread deserves to be in the "most overused comments on TLS" thread. You will find the answer to your question in a millions places all over this site.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby quadsixm » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Get a 4.333 in Basket Weaving, and then study for the LSAT in all your free time.

User avatar
Cactus
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby Cactus » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:45 pm

quadsixm wrote:Get a 4.333 in Basket Weaving, and then study for the LSAT in all your free time.



There seems to be many followers of this school of thought, with the flip side's main point of contention being that the student who majors in "Basket Weaving" will be grossly unprepared for the rigors of law school. My question is, what affect does an undergraduate degree in Basket Weaving have on future job prospects following law school?


(Assuming that the student acquires a high GPA in UG, scores well enough on the LSAT to get into a top 20 school, and performs fairly well in law school.)
Last edited by Cactus on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:48 pm

.
Last edited by honestabe84 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:50 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
No, definitely education is easier the communications.

And, honestly, the supposed easiness of communications is way overblown. Sure, it is easy to get a C, or even a B, but A's are still challenging, especially because most of your grading is subjective.

Honestly, many otherwise extremely intelligent people would have trouble standing up in front of a class and giving a speech or presentation. I've had a few engineers/scientists admit as much to be during conversations.

A lot of communications is not giving speeches or presentations though, contrary to popular belief. A lot of the "easy" rep comes from the athletes who take communications because, i'll admit, it's pretty difficult to fail a communications class, and not too hard to get a C or B.

I would say that Communications is on the same difficulty tier as other liberal arts majors, such as English and Psychology.


TITCR,

Communications is objectively one of the most challenging UG majors. The Communications majors are generally intellectual heavyweights, while the Education majors usually have trouble locating the classroom.


Really? What school do you go to? Communications at my school is like "business prep for dummies." I think half of our comm department at our school is made up of kids who couldn't hack it in business, but they still wanted to get looked at for a business job so they picked up communications instead.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:55 pm

For OP: I think you should do whatever makes you happy and whatever you think you can get a good GPA in. However, if you are looking for a little guidance, I don't think there is a better major out there than philosophy. It is almost all reading, writing, and critical thinking, which are three skills you'll need for law school. I'm not saying writing a law school exam and writing a philosophy essay are necessarily the same thing, but I do think that having a lot of experience in writing and dissecting arguments can help you out a lot, even for the LSAT.

I feel like being a philosophy major at a small school will give me a leg up on most big state school kids who took multiple-choice exams all the time, because I literally have done nothing but write, write, and write some more since I go to college. I recently stumbled upon a few papers I wrote my freshman year, and I was blown away at how bad of a writer I was (and I considered myself to be a good writer coming into undergrad!) I attribute a lot of that growth to the fact that I took a major that required constant writing. Plus most philosophy departments require a logic class, which can help to lay the groundwork for LSAT prep.

And last but not least, philosophy is incredibly interesting and stimulating! I'd say give it a look, and if you're not interested, just pick something that you find interesting and you can do well in. Adcomms don't really care about the major, just the numbers!

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby 270910 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:I feel like being a philosophy major at a small school will give me a leg up on most big state school kids who took multiple-choice exams all the time


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby quadsixm » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't think that it has much bearing on legal job prospects at all. If you've proven you can hack it in law school and rank highly in your class, that should be sufficient.

I majored in engineering at a T25 undergrad, and I hate my 2.xx GPA. I have two years of professional experience in Technology, and maybe the major helped prepare me for the LSAT, but I hope that the degree helps me out down the road, somehow.

Cactus wrote:
quadsixm wrote:Get a 4.333 in Basket Weaving, and then study for the LSAT in all your free time.



There seems to be many followers of this school of thought, with the flip side's main point of contention being that the student who majors in "Basket Weaving" will be grossly unprepared for the rigors of law school. My question is, what affect does an undergraduate degree in Basket Weaving have on future job prospects following law school?


(Assuming that the student acquires a high GPA in UG, scores well enough on the LSAT to get into a top 20 school, and performs fairly well in law school.)

jimicornerstone
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Undergraduate Major for Law School????????

Postby jimicornerstone » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Major in Info Sci and get a better job right out of undergrad than you would with a J.D.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Baidu [Spider], ThatOneAfrican, usaorbust, zot1 and 7 guests