mandatory withdrawal of applications to other schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcdad

New

mandatory withdrawal of applications to other schools

Post by mcdad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Which schools demand that you withdraw your applications to other law schools? It is only considerate to withdraw from schools that you do not wish to attend to save work for the admissions staff or to make room for other applicants if you have been admitted to a school that is less desirable than the one to which you are sending the deposit. But what about the school you haven't heard from? Which schools, if any, make you withdraw from schools from whom you haven't heard?

Aeon

Silver

Re: mandatory withdrawal of applications to other schools

Post by Aeon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:27 am

mcdad wrote:Which schools demand that you withdraw your applications to other law schools? It is only considerate to withdraw from schools that you do not wish to attend to save work for the admissions staff or to make room for other applicants if you have been admitted to a school that is less desirable than the one to which you are sending the deposit. But what about the school you haven't heard from? Which schools, if any, make you withdraw from schools from whom you haven't heard?
I might be mistaken, but doesn't this occur only if you applied Early Decision? I cannot imagine a school compelling you to withdraw your applications from all other schools otherwise.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 am

Duke requires it with your FIRST deposit.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:01 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Duke requires it with your FIRST deposit.
that's weird...what's the point of having multiple deposits (assuming there's more than one since you use the word "first") when you can't possibly choose another school to go to after the initial deposit is paid?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:42 pm

najumobi wrote:
that's weird...what's the point of having multiple deposits (assuming there's more than one since you use the word "first") when you can't possibly choose another school to go to after the initial deposit is paid?
To be honest, I don't know if they have two deposits or not. Guess I just assumed they did since everyone does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:47 pm

najumobi wrote:
You can pay multiple deposits to buy time to decide where you want to go/negotiate more money. Also, not all schools have the same deadlines and not all of them release financial aid package by April 15.

cariberry

New

Post by cariberry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:37 pm

violinst wrote:
najumobi wrote:
You can pay multiple deposits to buy time to decide where you want to go/negotiate more money. Also, not all schools have the same deadlines and not all of them release financial aid package by April 15.
I think maybe Duke has a later date by which to make the deposit...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:22 pm

cariberry wrote:
violinst wrote:
najumobi wrote:
April 30 is their due date, but it has to be mailed in and received, not post marked on April 30. Along with the deposit, you have to sign an acceptance form that reads...

"I ACCEPT the offer of admission and I intend to enroll in the 2010 entering class at Duke Law School. I certify that I have withdrawn from all other law schools to which I have been admitted. Enclosed is my non-refundable Deposit.

I understand that official matriculation to Duke Law School requires that I attend all LEAD Week orientation activities that begin on Monday, August 16, 2010. I promise to obey the rules of all academic exercises performed for credit in the School."

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
cariberry wrote:
violinst wrote:
najumobi wrote: You can pay multiple deposits to buy time to decide where you want to go/negotiate more money. Also, not all schools have the same deadlines and not all of them release financial aid package by April 15.
April 30 is their due date, but it has to be mailed in and received, not post marked on April 30. Along with the deposit, you have to sign an acceptance form that reads...

"I ACCEPT the offer of admission and I intend to enroll in the 2010 entering class at Duke Law School. I certify that I have withdrawn from all other law schools to which I have been admitted. Enclosed is my non-refundable Deposit.

I understand that official matriculation to Duke Law School requires that I attend all LEAD Week orientation activities that begin on Monday, August 16, 2010. I promise to obey the rules of all academic exercises performed for credit in the School."
Pretty sure if you call and ask you can wait on WL's and decisions still outstanding with Duke's offer. The point of it is that at the time you accept Duke really is your top choice, which may change...
Last edited by Unitas on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:24 pm

That's stupid.

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

I think because it says you have to withdraw from "all other schools you have been admitted to," that means that you can stay on the waitlist as well as continue to wait on schools you haven't heard back from without withdrawing those apps, and just have to withdraw from a school which, up to that point of your deposit sent in, you have been admitted to.

kickincane21

Bronze

Post by kickincane21 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 pm

University of Florida also does this (at least for $$$ recipients). My deposit was due by April 1st and in my application it said I had to immediately withdraw all applications (accepted/pending/WL). Forced me to make a tough decision to turn them down because I wanted to wait on some WL and scholarship negotiations.

Baloo

New

Post by Baloo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:43 pm

First, Emory requires you to withdraw other apps if accepted off the WL.

More importantly, from LSAC.org:

"Applicants should be aware that a law school is not required to maintain an offer of admission if it discovers that the applicant has accepted an offer at another institution. Beginning on June 15 of each year, law schools may be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school's entering class. Applicants should be sure that they understand policies on multiple commitment deposits set by schools to which they have applied"

However it would seem a number of schools esp. UVA violate the provision that law schools are expected to "maintain waiting lists of reasonable length and only for a reasonable time."
UVA from LSN: http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Here's the link with the other admissions policies:
--LinkRemoved--

That's the most pertinent information re: this topic I've read.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”