How much do LORs matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emoney8907

How much do LORs matter?

Postby emoney8907 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:31 pm

So I'm not very good at sucking up to professors and although I've always vowed I would, it's already becoming too late, as this semester is coming to a close and I will begin applying in the summer.
So the question: how much do LORs really matter?
It's not like professors hate me so I'll get negative recommendations. But I haven't been anything special enough for them to make me sound like a exceptional applicant. My LORs will probably be mediocre at best.
Will mediocre LORs keep me from getting into a school where most people with similar numbers can get into? Or are LORs more like can help but won't make or break an app kind of thing?
Thanks.

kalvano

Re: How much do LORs matter?

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 pm

No. You'll be fine even if they mail it in.

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:40 pm

You'll probably get 1,000 different opinions on this one. I think they made the world of difference for my application.

zozin

Postby zozin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:53 pm

emoney8907 wrote:So I'm not very good at sucking up to professors and although I've always vowed I would, it's already becoming too late, as this semester is coming to a close and I will begin applying in the summer.
So the question: how much do LORs really matter?
It's not like professors hate me so I'll get negative recommendations. But I haven't been anything special enough for them to make me sound like a exceptional applicant. My LORs will probably be mediocre at best.
Will mediocre LORs keep me from getting into a school where most people with similar numbers can get into? Or are LORs more like can help but won't make or break an app kind of thing?
Thanks.

LoRs are not as important as your LSAT/GPA, and I would say 80-90% of letters pretty much say the same thing. Have you taken multiple classes with the same professor? If so, ask those profs, since they have a larger span of time to pick compliments from...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”