Can I include this in my LOCI?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tommytahoe

Can I include this in my LOCI?

Postby tommytahoe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:17 pm

So, I was asked to speak at a College of Letters & Sciences dinner last month, as a recipient last year of a PoliSci merit scholly. I was asked to speak about what the scholly meant to me, but also to tell my "story," as a returning student, non-trad etc... It was kind of a college PR thing too, b/c many donors were there in attendance. I wrote a 2-page speech about the value of my education, and the importance of funding for today's students, young and older, in California's scary education situation.
What I was wondering is, what you guys think about this idea: I send my second LOCI to a certain BIG reach school that has waitlisted me, with reiterated expressions of strong interest/love/devotion, but also a reference to my having "the good fortune of speaking recently before a crowd of 200-plus" blah blah blah, and also include the speech itself.
It's well-written, and I believe it tells something extra about who I am, and about what it meant to me to turn my life around by coming back to school in my mid-30s, etc... I really don't belong on this WL, so I kinda feel as if I need to hit a home run. I thought that since this particular law school prizes the value of legal learning, philosophy of law, and scholarship, etc, they might respond to this, and it might add something that my PS, LORs didn't capture. It's WAY unorthodox, so I wanted to see what y'all thought. My goal is to give them a fully dimensional picture of me as I can, through LOCIs, a supplementary LOR, and maybe this.

thanks!

tom

scribelaw

Re: Can I include this in my LOCI?

Postby scribelaw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 pm

How many words is it?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:32 pm

scribelaw wrote:How many words is it?

810 words (2 pages + 6 lines). Perhaps if I can edit it under two pages, that would be more acceptable (content notwithstanding)?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Unless there is something in there that can hurt your chances of admission (like, "I am glad to be back in school after smoking crack.") I would not hesitate to include it. Run it by a couple of people that you trust for some editing then send it.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:51 pm

tommytahoe wrote:So, I was asked to speak at a College of Letters & Sciences dinner last month, as a recipient last year of a PoliSci merit scholly. I was asked to speak about what the scholly meant to me, but also to tell my "story," as a returning student, non-trad etc... It was kind of a college PR thing too, b/c many donors were there in attendance. I wrote a 2-page speech about the value of my education, and the importance of funding for today's students, young and older, in California's scary education situation.
What I was wondering is, what you guys think about this idea: I send my second LOCI to a certain BIG reach school that has waitlisted me, with reiterated expressions of strong interest/love/devotion, but also a reference to my having "the good fortune of speaking recently before a crowd of 200-plus" blah blah blah, and also include the speech itself.
It's well-written, and I believe it tells something extra about who I am, and about what it meant to me to turn my life around by coming back to school in my mid-30s, etc... I really don't belong on this WL, so I kinda feel as if I need to hit a home run. I thought that since this particular law school prizes the value of legal learning, philosophy of law, and scholarship, etc, they might respond to this, and it might add something that my PS, LORs didn't capture. It's WAY unorthodox, so I wanted to see what y'all thought. My goal is to give them a fully dimensional picture of me as I can, through LOCIs, a supplementary LOR, and maybe this.

thanks!

tom

I don't think its a bad idea to send a letter that mentions it, but definitely keep it at a page or less. Personally, I wouldn't go over a couple of paragraphs. UVA is extremely busy; your letter will carry the most weight if it is concise, cogent and convincing. (Alteration for the win!)

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:00 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:So, I was asked to speak at a College of Letters & Sciences dinner last month, as a recipient last year of a PoliSci merit scholly. I was asked to speak about what the scholly meant to me, but also to tell my "story," as a returning student, non-trad etc... It was kind of a college PR thing too, b/c many donors were there in attendance. I wrote a 2-page speech about the value of my education, and the importance of funding for today's students, young and older, in California's scary education situation.

thanks!

tom

I don't think its a bad idea to send a letter that mentions it, but definitely keep it at a page or less. Personally, I wouldn't go over a couple of paragraphs. UVA is extremely busy; your letter will carry the most weight if it is concise, cogent and convincing. (Alteration for the win!)

Thanks to all of you for the input. I see that, at the least, sending something isn't unacceptable. I will strategize.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”