How long can one defer for?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nyckid

How long can one defer for?

Postby nyckid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm a junior and currently have a 3.81 GPA (Ivy) and got a 171 on the LSAT. I recently got a job for the summer at a BB investment bank and am now thinking to postpone law school and try to do a JD/MBA in the future. An analyst role at the bank is 2 years, but can be extended to 3, or I could see doing 2 years of private equity before the JD/MBA (so 4 years total). I know I can still apply in the fall and then defer for two years, but I wanted to know if anyone had heard of people deferring for longer than that, or if I'm better off just applying 3 years from now. I know I want to go to Columbia (born and raised in NYC, now going to be working in NYC), and it would be nice to have it "waiting" rather than needing to worry about applying later, even if the work experience will make me a marginally better candidate. I'm also worried as I've read that median LSAT scores at top schools have been rising, and that my 171 3-4 years from now might not be as competitive as it is today. For what it's worth, whenever I do apply to Columbia, I'm going to apply ED.

Thanks so much for all of your help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and while it might seem presumptuous that I will be brought back for FT at the bank, historically it would appear that it is highly probable.

gossipgirl

Re: How long can one defer for?

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm doing exactly what you're planning for and I do think it is the right strategy. You don't want to worry about the stress of law school applications when you're working 80-100 hours a week in ib.

I'm working for 2 years and so I'm deferring my Columbia acceptance for those 2 years. This way, I don't have to worry about applying and have a seat at my dream school waiting for me.

Good luck!

kurla88

Re: How long can one defer for?

Postby kurla88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm

I would probably call the Columbia admissions office about this... maybe try and stay anonymous.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”