Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
High_Hopes

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby High_Hopes » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:42 am

Head partner at my moms firm went to some tttt I have never heard of. He now runs his own firm, works about 3 days a week, and drives an Aston Martin.

superserial

Postby superserial » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:45 am

why do we care if they're demonstrably incorrigible?

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:58 am

I'm sure someone has said this by now, but just b/c you get into a T2 does not mean you'll necessarily get $$$$ at T3s and T4s. I got into into one T14 (at sticker) and several more T25s (generally around half-tuition). My T3 and T4 safeties (I didn't know about TLS back in September when I applied, so I applied everywhere I got a fee waiver) almost across the board only offered me around half tuition--same as the T25s.

I think this phenomenon is fairly common with splitters. Bear in mind that if you're over a school's 75th %tile, how far over you are doesn't help them in terms of USNews. Thus, if you're only helping them in one category and hurting them in the other (GPA), they don't have any incentive to give you a knock-out offer.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:08 am

erniesto wrote:Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Would tuition lower if more 0Ls balked at 32k-45k prices?

Discuss.

What are those "few" public schools?

I think people do it in the hopes they will get a good job and can easily pay off that soulish level of debt.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:22 am

flcath wrote:Bear in mind that if you're over a school's [strike]75th %tile[/strike] median, how far over you are doesn't help them in terms of USNews.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 am

wiggsb wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:is this a serious question? Because if it is, the answer is simple. Not everyone scores highly on the LSAT giving them the option of attending a T1 school. A T2 school turns into their best bet...and many T2 schools are difficult to get in even with a decent LSAT score. Paying sticker for a T2 school would be a better option than receiving money from a T3 school.

I find a lot of people on this forum are a bit snotty when it comes to people applying outside of the T1 arena. Get over it people...not everyone scores in the 160's+ range on their LSAT. Geez.

+1

+159

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:40 am

erniesto wrote:
Regarding 2: Why would someone put their parents through tier 2 debt when there is likely a large scholarship available lower down the rankings?

Just want to point out not everyone's parents' are putting them through law school.

gandhi10

Postby gandhi10 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:13 am

1. Not all of us were losers and only concentrated on school in undergrad.
2. Im waitlisted at Georgia State... 30k total tuition. Average salary of ALL grads - $89k
3. Im accepted at South Carolina. Tuition is 37k. Im offered no less than 17k a yr. avg salary of private sector is $80k (71% reporting).

80k salary with 30k or 60k debt is fine with me

bebesu

Postby bebesu » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:33 am

fwaam wrote:I live in an area that's dominated by the local T-2 school, and people pay sticker to go there all the time and end up doing quite well for themselves (granted, it's public, which makes a huge difference in price given that most students there are in-state). It's just silly to think that because your starting salary is $50,000 that you're going to be making $50,000/year for the rest of your life. That's like pointing out that the average college graduate with no advanced degrees doesn't have a huge starting salary, and arguing that there's no point in taking out loans to go to college in that case. It's about long-term payoff.

Plus, as my boss points out every time the subject of the multiple schools that have admitted me comes up, "most people only get into one!" Those of us who have choices are lucky. Not everybody is so lucky.

Yes, I think people on here tend to focus too much on starting salary. While, of course it is a good indicator of how easy debt repayment will be initially, the long-term benefits of earning a law degree seem to be overlooked quite often by this forum.

I'm all for educating people about debt vs. starting salary so they have a realistic idea of what to expect upon graduation in terms of budgeting, standard of living, etc. But the key is this should be expected UPON GRADUATION - that is, the benefits of legal education, or any education for that matter, may not be realized until years or decades from graduation. Overall, I think this is by far underemphasized on here and knowledge on this forum is generally limited to pre-law and information about students currently in law school. Do not let this site discourage you from achieving a legal education - just educate yourself and have a realistic expectation of your standard of living upon graduation.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:15 pm

gandhi10 wrote:1. Not all of us were losers and only concentrated on school in undergrad.
2. Im waitlisted at Georgia State... 30k total tuition. Average salary of ALL grads - $89k
3. Im accepted at South Carolina. Tuition is 37k. Im offered no less than 17k a yr. avg salary of private sector is $80k (71% reporting).

80k salary with 30k or 60k debt is fine with me

1. Yes, I'm sure you were doing so much more meaningful stuff with your time in UG. Thanks for breaking out the "LOLOMGNERDZ" defense, though.

2-3. Do you really think it's a good idea to be using c/o 2007 stats? Also, it should be clear from the previous pages that the real criticism is being aimed at T2 private schools, not the cheaper public institutions.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm going to be paying sticker at Villanova. I find this acceptable because 1) Villanova does very will in Philadelphia 2) I'm from the immediate area, and I can commute my 2L/3L 3) My debt will only be around 135-140, and I can live at home after a job for a few years to pay off quite a bit of my debt assuming the job is in Philly 4) I'm sick of studying for the LSAT and my GPA is kind of poor to begin with (as I never really gave a shit during UG).

It's a tough move financially, and I'm nervous about it, but you only get to go once. I want to go in, bust my ass, and whatever comes my way comes. As much doom and gloom this board has, I feel extremely blessed to be able to go to law school and have an opportunity to do something I'll enjoy for the rest of my life. Not to mention, I'm going to a school I'll be proud to put on my resume (as opposed to my $$$ options like Syracuse, Vermont, Albany, etc).

BetterCallSaul

Postby BetterCallSaul » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:05 pm

If you're going to pay sticker and have no savings or "help" from family, go to law school part-time and work as a paralegal.

I'm all for people becoming the lawyers they dream of being--plenty of people who suck at the LSAT and law school will still make great lawyers--but what happens if you graduate from a T2 with 150-200k in debt? You end up doing temp doc review in a basement for years because it's the only job you can get that will pay enough for you to make your loan payments. No one wants to be that kind of lawyer.

60k in debt for a T2 or even a T3 would be acceptable by my book, however, because you actually have a shot at paying it back while you build your career--even if you start out at 40k.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:33 pm

gandhi10 wrote:1. Not all of us were losers and only concentrated on school in undergrad.

actually that's the avergae starting salary of people who were willing to report for private practice. NOT all grads

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 am

Because In State tuition at my school is like 15k a year... which is not bad at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”