Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
erniesto

Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Would tuition lower if more 0Ls balked at 32k-45k prices?

Discuss.

romothesavior

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:23 pm

erniesto wrote:Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Discuss.

1. Because they didn't know about T L S or do their homework on employment stats.
2. They have a close family member who has guaranteed them a job.
3. They knew the risks and, in an act of irrational bravado, were still willing to go there and pay 150k for the 10% chance that they'd graduate in the top of their class.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Perhaps the said individual does not care about the size of law he or she enters. Or debt is not a major factor. Or location is a very big factor. Many reasons but these are some extra that I can think of.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:
erniesto wrote:Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Discuss.

1. Because they didn't know about T L S or do their homework on employment stats.
3. They knew the risks and, in an act of irrational bravado, were still willing to go there and pay 150k for the 10% chance that they'd graduate in the top of their class.

I would have never posed this question on a forum where I didn't see this occurrence happening, or rather about to happen. Is there research that I'm missing that would lead someone to make this choice?

Regarding 2: Why would someone put their parents through tier 2 debt when there is likely a large scholarship available lower down the rankings?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Some people have an interest in law as a career beyond the $. I am one of them, if I had to go into debt at a T2 school to earn a 50k salary practicing law, I would do so. Think about the time in your life you spend working, probably 50% of the rest of the time that you are alive and awake--I'd rather spend that 50% doing something I love. Besides, top law schools are only good for getting your foot in the door, plenty of people work their way into mid-size firms after a decade or so of shit-law by their talent....just as many people graduate from t-14's and fail out of firm life.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm

erniesto wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Discuss.

I would have never posed this question on a forum where I didn't see this occurrence happening, or rather about to happen. Is there research that I'm missing that would lead someone to make this choice?

Regarding 2: Why would someone put their parents through tier 2 debt when there is likely a large scholarship available lower down the rankings?

In regards to your first question, I have no idea what you're asking me. Rephrase?
In regards to your second question, I have no idea.
Finally, a question for you: What is the point of this thread?

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Perhaps the said individual does not care about the size of law he or she enters. Or debt is not a major factor. Or location is a very big factor. Many reasons but these are some extra that I can think of.

If size of law is not a factor then why choose an expensive Tier 2 over a subsidized Tier 3 or 4, which populate every market?

Questions are not directed at anyone in particular. The point of this thread is philosophical, obviously.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Cupidity wrote:Some people have an interest in law as a career beyond the $. I am one of them, if I had to go into debt at a T2 school to earn a 50k salary practicing law, I would do so. Think about the time in your life you spend working, probably 50% of the rest of the time that you are alive and awake--I'd rather spend that 50% doing something I love. Besides, top law schools are only good for getting your foot in the door, plenty of people work their way into mid-size firms after a decade or so of shit-law by their talent....just as many people graduate from t-14's and fail out of firm life.

Certainly you shouldn't go into anything solely for the money. Is it necessary to pay a relatively high tuition to simply enter law?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:39 pm

Some are well regarded PI schools and place well in local govt's. From there, IBR.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:40 am

the only good reasons I can think of for paying sticker at a T2 are: 1. Daddy is paying for it all, 2. You have made a fortune already, retired at 35, and now just want to do something interesting, or 3. You plan on transfering to a T1 after 1L.

Now if you are getting a partial scholly, then a T2 might not be a bad financial decision (but that is obviously not the subject of the thread).

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:21 am

erniesto wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Perhaps the said individual does not care about the size of law he or she enters. Or debt is not a major factor. Or location is a very big factor. Many reasons but these are some extra that I can think of.

If size of law is not a factor then why choose an expensive Tier 2 over a subsidized Tier 3 or 4, which populate every market?

Questions are not directed at anyone in particular. The point of this thread is philosophical, obviously.

Not every market...for example Seattle only has U of Washington and Seattle U...T1 and T2 respectively. If you have your mind set on practicing in Seattle and your stats aren't good enough for U-Dub, why not a T2 like Seattle?

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:35 am

is this a serious question? Because if it is, the answer is simple. Not everyone scores highly on the LSAT giving them the option of attending a T1 school. A T2 school turns into their best bet...and many T2 schools are difficult to get in even with a decent LSAT score. Paying sticker for a T2 school would be a better option than receiving money from a T3 school.

I find a lot of people on this forum are a bit snotty when it comes to people applying outside of the T1 arena. Get over it people...not everyone scores in the 160's+ range on their LSAT. Geez.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

vegansistah

Postby vegansistah » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 am

Cupidity wrote:Some people have an interest in law as a career beyond the $. I am one of them, if I had to go into debt at a T2 school to earn a 50k salary practicing law, I would do so. Think about the time in your life you spend working, probably 50% of the rest of the time that you are alive and awake--I'd rather spend that 50% doing something I love. Besides, top law schools are only good for getting your foot in the door, plenty of people work their way into mid-size firms after a decade or so of shit-law by their talent....just as many people graduate from t-14's and fail out of firm life.

TITCR.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 am

vegansistah wrote:

TITCR.

Seconded, and TBF it's only 50% if you work a standard 40-60 hr work week.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am

It's simply about how much you are willing to sacrifice to practice law. Many are willing to sacrifice a lot of money in order to achieve this dream. That's perfectly understandable.

boardride23

Postby boardride23 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Because outside of the T-14, maybe T-20, Tier 1 doesn't mean sh#t if you're not going to school in the market you want to practice. Some people just don't perform well on standardized tests :roll:

GoTribe1

Postby GoTribe1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 pm

If I didn't know about TLS, I may have read the employment information released by schools, and not understanding how misleading it is, felt that paying sticker was well worth the payoff in the long run. Granted, it's dumb not to do your own research.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:37 pm

If you pay full price to attend a Tier 2, and you end up working in small law, or in a PI job with poor or no loan reimbursement options, it would have been a much better decision for you financially to have pursued a career as a paralegal.

The most profitable career choice may not provide someone with the most utility, but you can't pay for a mortgage, health insurance, car payments, and loan repayments with utiles.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Because they plan to transfer to a T1, and then when they don't, they hate their lives.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:49 pm

I think you should look at tier 2's on a case by case basis.

For example if someone does not get into U of Illinois, the next best option is Chicago-Kent.

Or if someone does not get into UF, U of Miami is the next best option (I know FSU is cheaper, but UM offers better prospects)

Or Temple/Villanova - both are good (one is cheaper, but the other is easily tied in all ways but price)

There are plenty of examples.

True their are some iffy ones like Penn State charging private schoolish tuition or Loyola (any location) or low ranking NYC schools.

Even the low ranking NYC schools - if someone wants to practice in NY (and no one can convince them of otherwise - it is their best shot at working in NYC unless they get into a higher ranked school in NYC.

There are rational reasons for choosing almost any of the "Top 100" and many of the Tier 3/4s.

I understand that you question was referring to sticker price, but not everyone can score 170 on the LSAT and even then - there are are reasons to stay (family, significant others, market preferences, etc.)

I don't think paying sticker at any school - including HYS - is worth it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I don't think paying sticker at any school - including HYS - is worth it.

Note to potential 0Ls, bad advice alert.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 pm

You wouldn't pay sticker to go to Yale? Seriously?

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Or if someone does not get into UF, U of Miami is the next best option (I know FSU is cheaper, but UM offers better prospects)

You think? *has no invested interest, obviously*

twert

Postby twert » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 pm

dhg5004 wrote:is this a serious question? Because if it is, the answer is simple. Not everyone scores highly on the LSAT giving them the option of attending a T1 school. A T2 school turns into their best bet...and many T2 schools are difficult to get in even with a decent LSAT score. Paying sticker for a T2 school would be a better option than receiving money from a T3 school.

I find a lot of people on this forum are a bit snotty when it comes to people applying outside of the T1 arena. Get over it people...not everyone scores in the 160's+ range on their LSAT. Geez.

i disagree with this statement

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”