Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Would tuition lower if more 0Ls balked at 32k-45k prices?

Discuss.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:23 pm

erniesto wrote:Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Discuss.


1. Because they didn't know about T L S or do their homework on employment stats.
2. They have a close family member who has guaranteed them a job.
3. They knew the risks and, in an act of irrational bravado, were still willing to go there and pay 150k for the 10% chance that they'd graduate in the top of their class.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Perhaps the said individual does not care about the size of law he or she enters. Or debt is not a major factor. Or location is a very big factor. Many reasons but these are some extra that I can think of.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:
erniesto wrote:Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Discuss.


1. Because they didn't know about T L S or do their homework on employment stats.
2. They have a close family member who has guaranteed them a job.
3. They knew the risks and, in an act of irrational bravado, were still willing to go there and pay 150k for the 10% chance that they'd graduate in the top of their class.


I would have never posed this question on a forum where I didn't see this occurrence happening, or rather about to happen. Is there research that I'm missing that would lead someone to make this choice?

Regarding 2: Why would someone put their parents through tier 2 debt when there is likely a large scholarship available lower down the rankings?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby Cupidity » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Some people have an interest in law as a career beyond the $. I am one of them, if I had to go into debt at a T2 school to earn a 50k salary practicing law, I would do so. Think about the time in your life you spend working, probably 50% of the rest of the time that you are alive and awake--I'd rather spend that 50% doing something I love. Besides, top law schools are only good for getting your foot in the door, plenty of people work their way into mid-size firms after a decade or so of shit-law by their talent....just as many people graduate from t-14's and fail out of firm life.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 pm

erniesto wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
erniesto wrote:Excluding a select few public schools, why do people often willingly pay exorbitant sticker price for a school ranked T2 and onwards?

Discuss.


1. Because they didn't know about T L S or do their homework on employment stats.
2. They have a close family member who has guaranteed them a job.
3. They knew the risks and, in an act of irrational bravado, were still willing to go there and pay 150k for the 10% chance that they'd graduate in the top of their class.


I would have never posed this question on a forum where I didn't see this occurrence happening, or rather about to happen. Is there research that I'm missing that would lead someone to make this choice?

Regarding 2: Why would someone put their parents through tier 2 debt when there is likely a large scholarship available lower down the rankings?


In regards to your first question, I have no idea what you're asking me. Rephrase?
In regards to your second question, I have no idea.
Finally, a question for you: What is the point of this thread?

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Perhaps the said individual does not care about the size of law he or she enters. Or debt is not a major factor. Or location is a very big factor. Many reasons but these are some extra that I can think of.


If size of law is not a factor then why choose an expensive Tier 2 over a subsidized Tier 3 or 4, which populate every market?


Questions are not directed at anyone in particular. The point of this thread is philosophical, obviously.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby erniesto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Cupidity wrote:Some people have an interest in law as a career beyond the $. I am one of them, if I had to go into debt at a T2 school to earn a 50k salary practicing law, I would do so. Think about the time in your life you spend working, probably 50% of the rest of the time that you are alive and awake--I'd rather spend that 50% doing something I love. Besides, top law schools are only good for getting your foot in the door, plenty of people work their way into mid-size firms after a decade or so of shit-law by their talent....just as many people graduate from t-14's and fail out of firm life.


Certainly you shouldn't go into anything solely for the money. Is it necessary to pay a relatively high tuition to simply enter law?

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:39 pm

Some are well regarded PI schools and place well in local govt's. From there, IBR.

User avatar
quetzalcoatl
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby quetzalcoatl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:40 am

the only good reasons I can think of for paying sticker at a T2 are: 1. Daddy is paying for it all, 2. You have made a fortune already, retired at 35, and now just want to do something interesting, or 3. You plan on transfering to a T1 after 1L.

Now if you are getting a partial scholly, then a T2 might not be a bad financial decision (but that is obviously not the subject of the thread).

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:21 am

erniesto wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Perhaps the said individual does not care about the size of law he or she enters. Or debt is not a major factor. Or location is a very big factor. Many reasons but these are some extra that I can think of.


If size of law is not a factor then why choose an expensive Tier 2 over a subsidized Tier 3 or 4, which populate every market?


Questions are not directed at anyone in particular. The point of this thread is philosophical, obviously.


Not every market...for example Seattle only has U of Washington and Seattle U...T1 and T2 respectively. If you have your mind set on practicing in Seattle and your stats aren't good enough for U-Dub, why not a T2 like Seattle?

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:35 am

is this a serious question? Because if it is, the answer is simple. Not everyone scores highly on the LSAT giving them the option of attending a T1 school. A T2 school turns into their best bet...and many T2 schools are difficult to get in even with a decent LSAT score. Paying sticker for a T2 school would be a better option than receiving money from a T3 school.

I find a lot of people on this forum are a bit snotty when it comes to people applying outside of the T1 arena. Get over it people...not everyone scores in the 160's+ range on their LSAT. Geez.

lawschoolstudent85
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 am

...
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vegansistah
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby vegansistah » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 am

Cupidity wrote:Some people have an interest in law as a career beyond the $. I am one of them, if I had to go into debt at a T2 school to earn a 50k salary practicing law, I would do so. Think about the time in your life you spend working, probably 50% of the rest of the time that you are alive and awake--I'd rather spend that 50% doing something I love. Besides, top law schools are only good for getting your foot in the door, plenty of people work their way into mid-size firms after a decade or so of shit-law by their talent....just as many people graduate from t-14's and fail out of firm life.


TITCR.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby missvik218 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 am

vegansistah wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Some people have an interest in law as a career beyond the $. I am one of them, if I had to go into debt at a T2 school to earn a 50k salary practicing law, I would do so. Think about the time in your life you spend working, probably 50% of the rest of the time that you are alive and awake--I'd rather spend that 50% doing something I love. Besides, top law schools are only good for getting your foot in the door, plenty of people work their way into mid-size firms after a decade or so of shit-law by their talent....just as many people graduate from t-14's and fail out of firm life.

TITCR.

Seconded, and TBF it's only 50% if you work a standard 40-60 hr work week.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby legalease9 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am

It's simply about how much you are willing to sacrifice to practice law. Many are willing to sacrifice a lot of money in order to achieve this dream. That's perfectly understandable.

User avatar
boardride23
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby boardride23 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Because outside of the T-14, maybe T-20, Tier 1 doesn't mean sh#t if you're not going to school in the market you want to practice. Some people just don't perform well on standardized tests :roll:

User avatar
GoTribe1
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby GoTribe1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 pm

If I didn't know about TLS, I may have read the employment information released by schools, and not understanding how misleading it is, felt that paying sticker was well worth the payoff in the long run. Granted, it's dumb not to do your own research.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:37 pm

If you pay full price to attend a Tier 2, and you end up working in small law, or in a PI job with poor or no loan reimbursement options, it would have been a much better decision for you financially to have pursued a career as a paralegal.

The most profitable career choice may not provide someone with the most utility, but you can't pay for a mortgage, health insurance, car payments, and loan repayments with utiles.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Because they plan to transfer to a T1, and then when they don't, they hate their lives.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:49 pm

I think you should look at tier 2's on a case by case basis.

For example if someone does not get into U of Illinois, the next best option is Chicago-Kent.

Or if someone does not get into UF, U of Miami is the next best option (I know FSU is cheaper, but UM offers better prospects)

Or Temple/Villanova - both are good (one is cheaper, but the other is easily tied in all ways but price)

There are plenty of examples.

True their are some iffy ones like Penn State charging private schoolish tuition or Loyola (any location) or low ranking NYC schools.

Even the low ranking NYC schools - if someone wants to practice in NY (and no one can convince them of otherwise - it is their best shot at working in NYC unless they get into a higher ranked school in NYC.

There are rational reasons for choosing almost any of the "Top 100" and many of the Tier 3/4s.

I understand that you question was referring to sticker price, but not everyone can score 170 on the LSAT and even then - there are are reasons to stay (family, significant others, market preferences, etc.)

I don't think paying sticker at any school - including HYS - is worth it.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby Grizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I don't think paying sticker at any school - including HYS - is worth it.


Note to potential 0Ls, bad advice alert.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 pm

You wouldn't pay sticker to go to Yale? Seriously?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Or if someone does not get into UF, U of Miami is the next best option (I know FSU is cheaper, but UM offers better prospects)

You think? *has no invested interest, obviously*

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Why do people find sticker price at T2 schools acceptable?

Postby twert » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 pm

dhg5004 wrote:is this a serious question? Because if it is, the answer is simple. Not everyone scores highly on the LSAT giving them the option of attending a T1 school. A T2 school turns into their best bet...and many T2 schools are difficult to get in even with a decent LSAT score. Paying sticker for a T2 school would be a better option than receiving money from a T3 school.

I find a lot of people on this forum are a bit snotty when it comes to people applying outside of the T1 arena. Get over it people...not everyone scores in the 160's+ range on their LSAT. Geez.

i disagree with this statement




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, chargers21, LawschoolHopeful2k16, Lexaholik, MSNbot Media, qiranger, rk42, UVA2B, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests