I read at a 3rd grade reading level.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
unlucky

I read at a 3rd grade reading level.

Postby unlucky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 pm

I took the December LSAT and boned the RC, (-14). This blew my mind and after debating a few T3 Full rides I am leaning towards taking a year off and retaking the exam. The problem is, I am falling apart on RC. LR and LG are all good but during the RC section I cannot foucs and I get frustrated and lose interest. My major is Economics so numbers are more my thing but I need some advice on how to pull my shit together on RC. Anyone have any ideas? I want to take the test again in Sept when I finally finish my hellish UG schedule up but I want to start working on RC A-sap. Any advice is helpful.

unlucky

Re: I read at a 3rd grade reading level.

Postby unlucky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:35 pm

anyone? I really will take any advice I can get.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 pm

The most common question on the RC is what was the main point of the passage. Start reading wall street journal and after each article ask yourself what was the main point of the passage. If there are two critics with opposite view points ask yourself what they would agree on and what the main point of disagreement is between the two. When you're reading, actually read and force yourself to pay attention. HTH

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 pm

READ. In your case, ANYTHING. If you can comprehend anything from something like the Economist or the New York Times, that would be helpful; in your case though, I would start with Dr. Suess and work your way up.

Best of luck.

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:58 pm

I improved by reading the intro/conclusions of law review articles at a super fast tempo and then word-vomiting synopses into one-note. I focused on speed by limiting myself to a second per line, and my comprehension gradually improved. It took a couple months of daily practice, but it really helped. Good luck!

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:03 pm

In law school you will be reading dense material for 4+ hours a day. I don't know the circumstances behind why you read at the level of a 7 year old, but you have some serious work ahead of you if you want to do well in law school even if you are accepted to a school you like.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Do every RC section on every PT available. Identify trends and fix them. Read the Economist. Read the articles and diagram or take notes like you do on the real test.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 pm

With all due respect, why would you even consider a going to a grad program (and eventually a profession) that is 90% reading based? Knowing how bad you are at reading, this didn't strike you as a poor idea?

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Find anything you like reading. It can be the Economist, Textbooks, Romance noves; it doesn't matter. Just read what you enjoy and read allot of it. A summer of this can make a difference. I took the ACT and got a 16 on the reading on spring in high school in reading comp (like 40th percentile) that fall I got a 31 (95th percentile-ish) after spending a summer reading anything I was interested in. I know the LSAT is not the same, but if you can do well on LR and you are bombing RC, its probably your reading speed and level. Reading will help this more than anything else. There aren't too many tricks to RC and most them won't help if you aren't getting through the passages and grasping what you read.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”