Checking targeted LORs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

Checking targeted LORs

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Ok, so I had my LOR writers each write me two recommendations for next cycle, one general and one Stanford specific. For some reason I have this huge fear that they will send in the papers wrong or something and my stanford recs will get mixed up with the general, resulting in rejection from all schools. Does anyone know if its possible to maybe call LSAC and have them check or something?? I explained to my profs that there are two different forms and everything but I am still afraid.

edit: this is ridiculous, S-T-A-N-F-O-R-D specific recs

Sangiovese

Re: Checking targeted LORs

Postby Sangiovese » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:15 pm

One of my LORs was specific to SMU and when LSAC sent the notification that they had processed it, they mentioned that it was targeted to SMU.

Not sure if they always do that, but if so, it should help you identify any mixups. And if they don't mention it in the notification, I am sure that they would be willing to confirm for you which LOR# is specific to which school.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Well I meant the actual text.. For instance, they send in the text of the stanford rec with the gen rec form.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Well I meant the actual text.. For instance, they send in the text of the Cal State Palo Alto rec with the gen rec form.

Yeah, that is what I mean. They read the letter and told me that it was targeted. This is a snippet from the email:
Dear Sangiovese:

We have received L# 3 from Clark Kent and have added it to your file. We see that you have not yet assigned any letters. We want to make sure you know that this letter is specifically addressed to Southern Methodist University. If you are ready to assign this letter to this institution, blah blah blah...

So I knew that the letter L3 in my list was the one that was targeted to SMU. It wouldn't have mattered if I thought that L# 2 was going to be the targeted one since they gave me the heads up. This email was in addition to the normal one I got saying that the LOR had been processed (I got one from "LSAC_NOTICE" for every LOR as it was processed. I got this one from "LSACLOR" that told me it was a targeted LOR.

And yes, superman really did write a LOR for me :)

Does that clear it up?

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Make sure the "L#" on the LSAC form is put in the heading of the actual recommendation. That's all you need. But if you want to check, you can call LSAC and they will look for you. I did this for one letter, and the lady was kind enough to read over the first part of the letter to make sure it was OK.

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:28 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Does anyone know if its possible to maybe call LSAC and have them check or something?

I had the same concern after receiving a call from a recommender who wrote me a general letter and a targeted one. Apparently his assistant was not sure if the letters had been matched with the right cover sheets, so I called LSAC and confirmed that they had been.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Wow, thanks guys.. this is spectacular news.. who knew LSAC could be so flexible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”