IP LAW Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yellowblue

New

Re: IP LAW

Post by yellowblue » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Georgiana wrote:
yellowblue wrote:"Math isn't really going to help much because patent law is about inventions, not mathematical equations and theory. Its all about application, which is what you learn in engineering/physics/chemistry etc."

What in the world. You havent taken much math/physics/engineering have you? Mathematical theory underlines EVERYTHING that physicists and engineers do. If you are fluent in the language of mathematical theory there is nothing you cannot understand in physics and engineering.
Yes, it underlies it, but patents aren't about THEORY they are about application. The whole rule about not patenting abstract ideas is aimed at preventing patenting of equations. Just because you understand the equation of the theory doesn't mean you'll be able to understand and explain the claims of a patent. As others have said, a math degree doesn't qualify you for the patent bar so obviously the PTO doesn't agree with your line of thinking.
It doesnt mean I wont be able to understand it either. Math degrees should qualify. The fact of the matter is none of these easy science/engineering degrees would exist without mathematicians. Q.E.D.

yellowblue

New

Post by yellowblue » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you really want to do patent law, try getting a Masters in Electrical Engineering. Some school will probably let you. Good luck trying to place catchup though.
I have no desire to do patent law nor do I have a desire to get a masters in electrical engineering. Talk about boring.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 pm

then why are you asking questions about the patent bar and talking about science/engineering majors?

quit trolling

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 pm

This is a solid A in trolling. I'm impressed.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This is a solid A in trolling. I'm impressed.
I'm not. I had the feeling he was a troll halfway down the first page.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This is a solid A in trolling. I'm impressed.
I'm not. I had the feeling he was a troll halfway down the first page.
If every single math major I've ever met didn't say shit like this I might have picked up on it.

FromRussiaWithLove

New

Post by FromRussiaWithLove » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:02 pm

I have a bachelors in biology, did some research and lab work but not published. Attending GW (supposedly decent IP program).

What is there for me in the IP field? I know I am no help in prosecution for most patents seeing as to how my science background is limited (took one year of physics and o. chem, but forgot most of it). However, I am committed to taking the registration exam before starting school in August to get a leg up in finding summer employment. Is there a future for me in IP with such limited science background?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:I have a bachelors in biology, did some research and lab work but not published. Attending GW (supposedly decent IP program).

What is there for me in the IP field? I know I am no help in prosecution for most patents seeing as to how my science background is limited (took one year of physics and o. chem, but forgot most of it). However, I am committed to taking the registration exam before starting school in August to get a leg up in finding summer employment. Is there a future for me in IP with such limited science background?
If you went to a T-14

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:07 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:I have a bachelors in biology, did some research and lab work but not published. Attending GW (supposedly decent IP program).

It's possible, but you will be competing with a bio PhDs for those jobs. Definitely pass the patent bar as early as possible to get a leg up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

randtuckman

New

Post by randtuckman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:10 pm

blah
Last edited by randtuckman on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Welp this was a solid use for 15 minutes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”