Targeted Personal Statements (POLL) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What type of an impact does a targeted PS have?

Positive (It shows initiative, and shows that you're actually interested)
57%
No Impact
26%
Negative (You're wasting limited space)
17%

Total votes: 35

honestabe84

Bronze

Targeted Personal Statements (POLL)

Post by honestabe84 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:49 am

Trying to decide if I should briefly target my PS to a select group of reaches. I was planning on including 3 sentences or so discussing the school and why I want to attend.

Also, if you voted "positive," do you have any suggestions for what to say? I hate to say the usual generic things (i.e. you're clinics are great).

dibs

Bronze

Re: Targeted Personal Statements (POLL)

Post by dibs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 am

i had 2 types of PS: targeted at the school and a principle, and strictly why i want to practice law.

i've only heard back from two of the schools to which i've applied, both acceptances, and both use the second type of PS.

just one opinion.

PopCopyManager

New

Post by PopCopyManager » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:37 am

Just do some basic research on things the school seems to specialize in or be proud of. As long as that matches with your goals, write about how that affects your preferences.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:34 pm

I know my targeted ps got me into where i wanted to go, because my numbers alone wouldn't have done the job.

I basically poured my heart out to the school, telling them how proud i'd be to go to such an institution and how i couldn't wait to become a faithful alumnus.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:55 pm

The problem with targeted PS's is that 95% of 0Ls don't really know enough about law schools to say something legit about why they want to be at a good school, so trying too hard at it just sounds forced and inept. And truthfully a lot of most people's choice comes down to rank, scholarship and location. After that if there's genuinely some superstar professor you hope to study with and you really mean it, I guess that can't hurt to mention.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:The problem with targeted PS's is that 95% of 0Ls don't really know enough about law schools to say something legit about why they want to be at a good school, so trying too hard at it just sounds forced and inept. And truthfully a lot of most people's choice comes down to rank, scholarship and location. After that if there's genuinely some superstar professor you hope to study with and you really mean it, I guess that can't hurt to mention.
True to an extent. However I think visiting beforehand and talking about how your visit specifically elevated your desire to go to that school, that can definitely help. Who knows how much it can help though.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Don't do it if it's not genuine. If you just spent some time on the school's web site or read that they have a good XYZ program, then tried to pretend that was the draw, they will see right through it and it can only hurt you. I knew someone who did this thinking it was her ticket and she ended up getting rejected at schools she should have been an easy admit for. Phoniness never plays well.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:42 pm

I think it depends on what your PS topic is about. I had a good PS topic, so I figured I would take advantage of all of the space there was to write the most compelling piece. You just gotta go with your gut, and see whatever will create the most compelling PS you can deliver.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Glad this question was brought up...I would have tried too hard to target my PSs the next cycle.

However, I think it would be very good to write about the things the school specifically stated they wanted in their personal statement. I think that may have hindered me at some schools I applied to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”