....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

UVA sticker worth it?

Yes
59
82%
No
13
18%
 
Total votes: 72

confuzzled888
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

....

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 pm

Deleted. No way in hell I am going to cooley college.
Last edited by confuzzled888 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby redsox » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Whether or not it's worth it depends on your other options.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:23 pm

redsox wrote:Whether or not it's worth it depends on your other options.

This.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby scribelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 pm

It depends on your other options, with law schools and just generally with your career. Leaving a good job for UVA sticker -- maybe not. But if you're unemployed or in UG with no job prospects, I'd say it definitely could be. If you finish at median or even a little below, you're still looking at a Biglaw job, which is pretty good odds.

Where sticker becomes a bad financial choice for most people, I think, is Georgetown on down.

confuzzled888
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 pm

that's my best option (besides Cornell which I didn't like at all during ASW also at sticker).... unless it's a couple of t2/t3 with a full ride... which I am not that into.

Also; i'm a paralegal at a firm... so nothing on the "job prospects."

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Based on your options, I would go with UVA.

mikeh915
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby mikeh915 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:28 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:Would you go to UVA sticker? I am considering it... but a little scared.

Are many of you taking out this much in debt?


I voted yes because my SO and I are both going with no $, so I want to be validated lol. I'm hopeful that there are a ton of us going for sticker.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:29 pm

I'd say T10 is usually worth sticker, especially given your other options.

confuzzled888
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:12 pm

what scares me the most is that if I graduate at the bottom of my class then i'll be screwed and not have a job of any sort (other than temping or miserable doc review).

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:26 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:what scares me the most is that if I graduate at the bottom of my class then i'll be screwed and not have a job of any sort (other than temping or miserable doc review).



If you think you'll perform that poorly the right question to ask yourself would be "is law school for me?".

confuzzled888
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
confuzzled888 wrote:what scares me the most is that if I graduate at the bottom of my class then i'll be screwed and not have a job of any sort (other than temping or miserable doc review).



If you think you'll perform that poorly the right question to ask yourself would be "is law school for me?".


hm. I know law school is a correct choice. I know I will try my best... but there is always that possilbity that I won't really perform. That's like .01% but it still is a possibilty. You can't really ignore that in a decision like commiting yourself to like 200 k in debt.

User avatar
whuts4lunch
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:43 pm

.01%? huh? 20% of the class finishes in the bottom 20%, and pretty much everyone who gets in (say 95%?) is a damn good student

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 pm

yes, unless you, the OP, are a successful consultant

confuzzled888
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:12 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:.01%? huh? 20% of the class finishes in the bottom 20%, and pretty much everyone who gets in (say 95%?) is a damn good student


hahahaha .01% that I will fail, not about everyone is. call that cocky confidence if you must. I am thinking positvely.

User avatar
gossipgirl
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:25 am

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:that's my best option (besides Cornell which I didn't like at all during ASW also at sticker).... unless it's a couple of t2/t3 with a full ride... which I am not that into.

Also; i'm a paralegal at a firm... so nothing on the "job prospects."


The answer to your question is opportunity cost. So unless you have a job and/or you have other law school options than the ones listed above, I think the answer is definitely yes.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 pm

It better be.

It better be


IT BETTER BE!!!!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Borhas wrote:yes, unless you, the OP, are a successful consultant


:lol:

Seriously I vote yes. It will provide you more opportunities than being a paralegal.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby sumus romani » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'd say T10 is usually worth sticker, especially given your other options.



But Virginia is tied with three other schools for 10th place. Do you mean: "T12 is usually worth sticker, especially . . . ."? Or do you think that Virginia is especially worthy over the other so-called 10th place schools? Thoughts?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby IAFG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 pm

Cavalier wrote:
redsox wrote:Whether or not it's worth it depends on your other options.

This.

not going is always an option.

confuzzled888
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 pm

IAFG wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
redsox wrote:Whether or not it's worth it depends on your other options.

This.

not going is always an option.


would you not go? What are you opinions?

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Borhas wrote:yes, unless you, the OP, are a successful consultant


LOVE IT haha

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:47 pm

for the fresh out of college guy with a liberal arts degree, who wants to be a lawyer... yes it's worth sticker

for the guy who doesn't want to be a lawyer and has other ways of earning a decent living, then no it's not worth it

generally it's worth it, but for some people it won't be

but what do I know

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby IAFG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:
IAFG wrote:not going is always an option.


would you not go? What are you opinions?

if i were coming straight out of UG, no, i would not go. i dont have particularly better options and am still uncertain about sticker.

confuzzled888
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby confuzzled888 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 pm

IAFG wrote:
confuzzled888 wrote:
IAFG wrote:not going is always an option.


would you not go? What are you opinions?

if i were coming straight out of UG, no, i would not go. i dont have particularly better options and am still uncertain about sticker.


majoring in philosophy/english double really goes under that undergrad category

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: UVA Law worth sticker price?

Postby IAFG » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 pm

confuzzled888 wrote:majoring in philosophy/english double really goes under that undergrad category

i mean, i dont think law school is a good place to sit out real life, and especially not at sticker. if being a lawyer is your life's dream, ok, but if you have ANY doubts, i would not do it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dan9257, historyengland95, sethnoorzad, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests