Fordham vs. St John's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joecane

New

Fordham vs. St John's

Post by joecane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Here's the situation. Just found out I got admitted to Fordham today which is my top choice. I also got admitted to St John's on full academic scholarship. Don't know of any award from Fordham yet but I'm sure it will be sticker. I am a 31 y/o father transitioning careers so I am pretty debt adverse but really like the prospect of attending Fordham. Both schools would require relocation, as I currently reside in Miami, FL. What does the board think?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Fordham vs. St John's

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 pm

Please give us your career goals for further evaluation. Also, is your scholarship guaranteed for all three years, regardless of GPA? Will your family be coming with you? Is anyone planning to work, or will you need to borrow for cost of living?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:58 pm

Very likely Fordham. St. John's suffers a lot from being the 6th-ranked school in NYC (after Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Cardozo and Brooklyn, in that order). The NYC market is saturated, and a lot of employers will not even look at a St. John's graduate when they have graduates of the above schools to choose from.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm not terrifically wonderful at being unbiased about my school, but a guaranteed full ride can be worthwhile under some circumstances. My choice to carry the debt remains correct for me, given enhanced career options as we (hopefully) come out of ITE.

ricking1288

New

Post by ricking1288 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Choose Fordham. St. Johns is mostly a regional school so if you want to move back to Miami after you graduate, a JD from Fordham will give u better career prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joecane

New

Post by joecane » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Family is coming with and mom will work but some cost of living will still have to be borrower. Scholly from SJU is good as long as I am in good academic standing. It's the Ron Brown scholly. Career goal is still a little undetermined. Been working in mortgage banking and real estate the last 10 years. The full ride from St John's is alluring but Fordham was my #1 with a bullet.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

basically it comes down to whether the stress that will be put on your family by having to spend a LOT on fordham is worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”