LOR's from Law Profs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
miobrien

LOR's from Law Profs

Postby miobrien » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:38 pm

I am currently a graduate student in philosophy working on an MA at Boston College. My academic interests are in political and legal philosophy. I plan on applying to law school next fall. Since I have exhausted most of the relevant electives in my university's philosophy department, I have arranged to take two philosophically-oriented law classes at Boston College Law School -- one is "Philosophy of Law: Future of International Law" and the other is "Foundations of Western Law." I have also arranged to do an Independent Study with a professor who teaches courses in the philosophy department and at the law school (she is technically in the law faculty). (It will be on American Pragmatism and Legal Pragmatism, FYI.)

First, if I do well in these courses (i.e., get A's) and, second, if I possibly get these professors to write recommendations (if I think my performance in the class merits a quality recommendation), how will this affect my chances of admission in general?

I already have three excellent recommendations from professors I've previously taken but figure these three professors might be more qualified to discuss my aptitude for studying law. Perhaps it would be better to go with the professors I've known for a longer time.

Thanks for your help.

2009 Prospective

Re: LOR's from Law Profs

Postby 2009 Prospective » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 pm

miobrien wrote: Perhaps it would be better to go with the professors I've known for a longer time.

This.

miobrien

Postby miobrien » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks. BTW, awesome band in your avatar!

In general, how would an admissions committee consider the 3 law classes? Could A's in these classes have significant weight, or are LSAT/GPA still much more important?

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 am

miobrien wrote:Thanks. BTW, awesome band in your avatar!

In general, how would an admissions committee consider the 3 law classes? Could A's in these classes have significant weight, or are LSAT/GPA still much more important?

While none of us are actual admissions folks, conventional wisdom around here would probably indicate that taking the law classes won't help your chances in any meaningful sense as compared to most other classes. After having gone through the admissions process, I am inclined to agree. Feel free to take them though if they pique your interest.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:53 pm

If you are going to take the classes anyway, then I think it would be a good idea to ask for a LOR if you do well.

I would probably use the LORs you already have for your application, and keep the additional LOR(s) from the law profs to use if you get waitlisted somewhere. Sending in an additional LOR along with a LOCI could swing the balance.

I wouldn't take the classes specifically to try to get a LOR from a law prof... but if you're going to do it anyway, then there is no reason not to try to get an additional LOR to have in reserve.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”