NYLS over Temple if I want to work in NYC post grad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dhg5004

NYLS over Temple if I want to work in NYC post grad?

Postby dhg5004 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:56 pm

I have yet to hear from Temple / Cardozo / Brooklyn...I have heard from NYLS with some $$.

My number 1 choice is Cardozo then Temple then NYLS then Brooklyn. I realize NYLS isn't as highly ranked as Brooklyn but I like the school better.

There is no option for me to be living/working anywhere besides New York City upon graduating from law school. Does this mean that I have to consider canning the whole Temple idea? (I know Temple is a great school and I'm a PA resident so it would be extremely cheap for me AND I could live at home for the first semester or two...I have spoken to recent law grads lately and they are pushing for me to go to Temple because of their 100k+ loans that they owe. some people paying 2k/mo for 10 years...)

Anyway...does anyone have any advice for me? I definitely want a career in NYC and definitely not in Philly. Does this 'regional school' thing really hold up? I thought it had a lot to do with who you know and where you intern? Am I wrong? Should I go to NYLS over Temple? I'm stressin!!

BoomBoom1986

Re: NYLS over Temple if I want to work in NYC post grad?

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:03 pm

Temple>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NYLS

For just about anything and everything anywhere.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 pm

the regional "rule" usually holds up, but boom is right: temple>nyls for NYC.

Temple is seen as a respectable law school in a big (though not major) legal market. a lot of temple alum end up working in nyc. NYLS on the other hand is one of the least respected law schools in a large legal market - there are at least 7 higher ranked schools in the region.

Edit: also, though you dont like Brooklyn as much, you should seriously consider it over NYLS if you're accepted. Brooklyn grads are more employable in NYC.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 am

Thank you both...very helpful.

The only thing is I won't receive $$ from Brooklyn...if I'm even accepted...And Brooklyn and Temple are on about the same playing field (I've heard and through research have found Temple to be a better insitituation overall....AND it would be 1/4 of the price of Brooklyn Law)

I know NYLS is not as competitive as some other schools in NYC...but I do know of many people who graduated with good grades from there who came out doing extremely well for themselves. I think a large part of it is who you know/where you intern. I also know that it is a big deal where you graduate as well....

But thanks for the advice...I think I would go to Temple before NYLS (here's hoping I get accepted!!)

Thanks again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”