Too old for biglaw?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
waiting4law

Too old for biglaw?

Postby waiting4law » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Apologies if this topic was addressed (I couldn't find it) or if this is the wrong forum. I was wondering if anyone could offer experiences, anecdotes, data, or links to other threads about being too old for biglaw. I will be 38 for OCI, and am wondering how much of a strike my age will be against me in biglaw hiring.

Thanks in advance for any information.

waiting4law

Re: Too old for biglaw?

Postby waiting4law » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Oh, and if it helps, I will be enrolled at a lower T14 and am Asian.

singingvontrapp

Postby singingvontrapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm 31 and Korean and I could totally pass for 21, if that helps.

vexion

Postby vexion » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:52 pm

waiting4law wrote:Apologies if this topic was addressed (I couldn't find it) or if this is the wrong forum. I was wondering if anyone could offer experiences, anecdotes, data, or links to other threads about being too old for biglaw. I will be 38 for OCI, and am wondering how much of a strike my age will be against me in biglaw hiring.

Thanks in advance for any information.

If anything, your age HELPS your OCI. Especially if you have meaningful work experience. If you worked in fast food for the last 15 years, firms might frown on you, but if you're transitioning careers, it's a big plus. It's especially a bonus to show you're interested in a specific practice group overlapping your prior work experience.

That said, I'm sure there's an upper limit on age helping. If you were 55 or 60, you might be a going concern, so to speak, to the hiring partner.

waiting4law

Postby waiting4law » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for the responses! I was first employed in journalism and later in marketing, finishing in some fairly senior roles. Hopefully my experience will indeed count for something at OCI. I'll find out soon anyway...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”