Graduating early v. pursuing minors v. study abroad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cupcakess

Graduating early v. pursuing minors v. study abroad

Postby cupcakess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 pm

Apparently I'm on track to graduate a year early. If you (yes, you) were in my shoes, which of the following would you do?

1) Graduate early - If I went this route, I'd need to apply to LS this fall. The problem is, I wasn't anticipating this option and I won't be ready for the LSAT until October. I've already registered for that date, but I'm pretty sure I can't submit my apps early without an LSAT. :?

Alternatively, I could always take that year off and bust ass trying to raise money for LS.

2) Pursue extra minors or double-major - I was already working on Poli Sci and Spanish minors, but is it worth dropping them to graduate early instead?

3) Study abroad for a year - Mmm, this is my favorite option. I'd probably study in Spain or Costa Rica for a year through my school's excellent exchange program. I'm not sure if LS would frown on this decision, though, but I'd definitely be able to complete my Spanish minor by going this route.

singingvontrapp

Re: Graduating early v. pursuing minors v. study abroad

Postby singingvontrapp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Pad your GPA with easy classes.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:18 pm

singingvontrapp wrote:Pad your GPA with easy classes.

Yep! Why would you want to graduate early!?

aer

Postby aer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Study abroad. I took 5 years to finish undergrad so that I could spend a year in Spain and I loved it. There was no discernible impact on my cycle.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:26 pm

AKA study abroad.

Who would be paying for this?

If:

1)Your parents - Study abroad

2)Debt - Graduate and get a job doing something easy but somewhat respectable.

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 pm

missvik218 wrote:

Yep! Why would you want to graduate early!?

TITCR (always hoped I would see something on here that I actually agreed with and could quote.)

Taffybear2

Postby Taffybear2 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:28 pm

I was definitely in your shoes last year. I was completely planning on graduating a year early and take the LSAT last September after taking a summer Testmasters class and apply to law school for this Fall, but then felt not ready for the test or ready to go to law school at 20years old. I have put the test off twice so far and I have taken a really light class load all year long so I could add an extra quarter next year and hopefully spend that quarter in DC with my schools internship program. I'm not sure what I'll do for the next two quarters before starting school (which does make me nervous). If I were you I would definitely study broad. You won't probably get this opportunity ever again. I've learned to cherish all the time you have before law school. Admissions would never look down upon it.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Life is short and real life is meh. Travel and have fun while you can (while keeping your GPA in order).

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:31 pm

cupcakess wrote:Apparently I'm on track to graduate a year early. If you (yes, you) were in my shoes, which of the following would you do?

1) Graduate early - If I went this route, I'd need to apply to LS this fall. The problem is, I wasn't anticipating this option and I won't be ready for the LSAT until October. I've already registered for that date, but I'm pretty sure I can't submit my apps early without an LSAT. :?

Alternatively, I could always take that year off and bust ass trying to raise money for LS.

2) Pursue extra minors or double-major - I was already working on Poli Sci and Spanish minors, but is it worth dropping them to graduate early instead?

3) Study abroad for a year - Mmm, this is my favorite option. I'd probably study in Spain or Costa Rica for a year through my school's excellent exchange program. I'm not sure if LS would frown on this decision, though, but I'd definitely be able to complete my Spanish minor by going this route.

Also look at applying for a masters degree abroad. Instead of tacking it onto your undergrad. The cost can be really small actually, less than just studying abroad (Sweden used to be free).

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 pm

I would opt for studying abroad if I were you. Just be sure that those grades will be factored into your LSDAS GPA. Have fun in Spain or Costa Rica!

cupcakess

Postby cupcakess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Who would be paying for this?

If:

1)Your parents - Study abroad

2)Debt - Graduate and get a job doing something easy but somewhat respectable.

It'd be a combination of scholarships and parents.

Desert Fox wrote:Also look at applying for a masters degree abroad. Instead of tacking it onto your undergrad. The cost can be really small actually, less than just studying abroad (Sweden used to be free).

Whaaat? Free?! Me likey. Do you have a linky?

aer wrote:Study abroad. I took 5 years to finish undergrad so that I could spend a year in Spain and I loved it. There was no discernible impact on my cycle.

Which university did you study at? Would you recommend any specific city for an American with intermediate-advanced Spanish-speaking skills?

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

STUDY ABROAD. You are only young once and will not have time to really enjoy this during or after law school. It will not hurt you in anyway. As long as ur GPA is in goed shape. Just give yourself plenty of time when you get back to study for LSAT because I only had two and half months and it was not enough time...especially when you are trying to revocer from reverse culture shock!

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

You can study abroad and pursue minors. In fact, some might say it makes it easier.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

cupcakess wrote:
Whaaat? Free?! Me likey. Do you have a linky?

Used to be free. A lot of the northern european countries have really cheap education.

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 pm

tomhobbes wrote:You can study abroad and pursue minors. In fact, some might say it makes it easier.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”