Is it worth retaking a class?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cupcakess

Is it worth retaking a class?

Postby cupcakess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:54 pm

The C I got in my Advanced Spanish Grammar class is like a bloodstain that my eye immediately gravitates to every time I have to look at my transcript, and I fear it will have the same effect on ad coms when they review my law school apps in the future (*shudder*). I have no legit reason for getting that grade except that I was in a class with a bunch of native speakers and I just couldn't cut it.

The question is, should I retake that class to redeem myself or will it look just as bad that I took the class again?

cardinalandgold

Re: Is it worth retaking a class?

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

I wouldn't bother retaking. Retaking the grade will not replace the original grade, as LSAC considers both grades. Plus, there is no guarantee that you would do better, especially if it is a class that is usually filled with native speakers.

cupcakess

Postby cupcakess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:I wouldn't bother retaking. Retaking the grade will not replace the original grade, as LSAC considers both grades. Plus, there is no guarantee that you would do better, especially if it is a class that is usually filled with native speakers.

Ah, okay. Good to know. :)

No more Spanish classes for me, then. At least, not until I study abroad or something.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:49 pm

On a related note, anyone know how much individual grades matter? Say, for example, someone has a decent GPA but that there are two major blemishes in the record - a D and a C. Does the overall GPA counter for those performances or would they even notice?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:06 pm

whitman wrote:On a related note, anyone know how much individual grades matter? Say, for example, someone has a decent GPA but that there are two major blemishes in the record - a D and a C. Does the overall GPA counter for those performances or would they even notice?

Overall GPA is the most important factor. They may notice your D/C, but they probably won't care.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”