How much is community service factored into admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NUMB3RFIFTY

How much is community service factored into admissions?

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:03 am

Just wanted to get some insight on this (if anyone's got any.)

I happen to have a shitload of community service and was just wondering how much schools will consider it.

Are there schools that consider it more than others?

Thanks.

voice of reason

Re: How much is community service factored into admissions?

Postby voice of reason » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:11 am

It's a minor soft factor that will count less than you wish it would. Perhaps its best advantage for you is as fodder for your personal statement. If you apply for an kind of public service scholarship or want to write about your intent to enter public interest law, then it may also serve as evidence of a genuine commitment.

engineer

Postby engineer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:19 am

Zero. I'll argue that I had more community than most applicants. I have volunteered over 3,000 hours as an EMT, and ultimately a paramedic, over the course of four years, but it did not make up for sub-par grades and a mediocre LSAT. Nothing makes up for a mediocre LSAT. Nothing.

engineer

Postby engineer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 am

Oh, one more thing: OP, your community service wasn't court-ordered, right? :D

NUMB3RFIFTY

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 am

engineer wrote:Oh, one more thing: OP, your community service wasn't court-ordered, right? :D

LOL no it wasn't, thankfully...

Are there any schools that value it more than others?

ArmyVet07

Postby ArmyVet07 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:17 am

Might it count more for those interested in PI, especially when applying for PI scholarships?

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 am

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:
engineer wrote:Oh, one more thing: OP, your community service wasn't court-ordered, right? :D

Yes. Just from my own experience, I know that Colorado and UNC look very highly on community work because they have a public interest niche. It also goes over well with the Jesuit schools, which tend to be more service-oriented. But like everyone else said, you still have to be in their range numbers-wise.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:14 am

Business background here so I needed as much community service as possible. To be honest, it might have kept me afloat when I would probably have been an auto-reject at Berk, GTown, and USC. Waitlisted at all 3...

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 am

Yes. If it was meaningful, if you played a major leadership role, etc. I think if you're able to tie it to the reason you want to attend X school or practice law it can be a major factor. Honestly, I think its the sole reason I got into a few schools that I should've been an auto-reject for.

KellC

Postby KellC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am

Neelio wrote:Business background here so I needed as much community service as possible.

Out of curiosity, why would a business background need more community service than others?

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 am

KellC wrote:
Neelio wrote:Business background here so I needed as much community service as possible.

Out of curiosity, why would a business background need more community service than others?

Because you (generally speaking) have less exposure to working in a court setting, non-profit organization, or something of the like. I think law schools are looking to see if you are a person that wants to make a difference in your respective community. As a business major, you generally have less of an inclination to engage in such activities.

NUMB3RFIFTY

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 pm

j.wellington wrote:
NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:

Yes. Just from my own experience, I know that Colorado and UNC look very highly on community work because they have a public interest niche. It also goes over well with the Jesuit schools, which tend to be more service-oriented. But like everyone else said, you still have to be in their range numbers-wise.

My whole thing is that I'm applying to Boyd (UNLV) from out of state and there's really not that many non-resident seats.

The school is REALLY big on community service and public interest, so i'm hoping it gives me some kind of edge with all those 4.0's and 175 LSat's lol

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:32 pm

NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:
j.wellington wrote:
NUMB3RFIFTY wrote:

My whole thing is that I'm applying to Boyd (UNLV) from out of state and there's really not that many non-resident seats.

The school is REALLY big on community service and public interest, so i'm hoping it gives me some kind of edge with all those 4.0's and 175 LSat's lol

no amount of community service will give you an edge over a 4.0 175 unless you have close numbers urself.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”