Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby texas man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:43 pm

bagosian wrote:Picked up a used Macbook Pro 13" off of a friend who wanted to upgrade to the newer 2010 model MacBook Pros. Did I do okay for $700?


I think you did all right- that previous model of the 13" Macbook Pro is going for around $800 on eBay right now. Congrats.

sharpnsmooth
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby sharpnsmooth » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm

HBK wrote:I am planning on attending LS in the fall, and am looking for a good deal. I've been looking at the Acer Timeline series, but was wondering what the infinite wisdom of TLS recommends.

I am not a gamer; the only games I play are generally Sporcle, a couple Facebook games, and online crossword puzzles.

Also considering getting a PC for cheap (buying the one I use from my office) for storage, downloading music, etc- I want to keep my LS laptop clean and quick.

I've seen some good prices on open-box and refurbished laptops. Any advice or horror stories?

Let's keep it in the $500-$800 range guys. Thanks!


if you can go higher,

i'd say Mac because it'll save you money in the long run. In undergrad, I went through 3 $800 computers in 3 years as they'd get viruses and gradually die out. I've had a $2000 macbook pro for 4 years... it's just as fast as when i first bought it and almost impossible to get a virus on. i think it's worth the extra cost, because you don't have to worry about a new computer for a decade and the amount of time you save because of its quickness totals about an hour a week in many cases, and over the course of 10 years, that's 520 hours. if you believe your time is worth over $1.80 an hour, it's a no brainer.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby JOThompson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:51 pm

kalvano wrote:
SAOJD10 wrote:off topic a little but what is the best external hd right now??? I am looking for a 1tb



I got a WD off Amazon for $90, free shipping.

Would any of you recommend online file storage? I'm a little worried having my backup files onsite with my computer.

If I don't sign up for Mozy or Carbonite, I was looking at a 500GB iomega for $70 shipped on NewEgg.

burvowski
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby burvowski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:
HBK wrote:I am planning on attending LS in the fall, and am looking for a good deal. I've been looking at the Acer Timeline series, but was wondering what the infinite wisdom of TLS recommends.

I am not a gamer; the only games I play are generally Sporcle, a couple Facebook games, and online crossword puzzles.

Also considering getting a PC for cheap (buying the one I use from my office) for storage, downloading music, etc- I want to keep my LS laptop clean and quick.

I've seen some good prices on open-box and refurbished laptops. Any advice or horror stories?

Let's keep it in the $500-$800 range guys. Thanks!


if you can go higher,

i'd say Mac because it'll save you money in the long run. In undergrad, I went through 3 $800 computers in 3 years as they'd get viruses and gradually die out. I've had a $2000 macbook pro for 4 years... it's just as fast as when i first bought it and almost impossible to get a virus on. i think it's worth the extra cost, because you don't have to worry about a new computer for a decade and the amount of time you save because of its quickness totals about an hour a week in many cases, and over the course of 10 years, that's 520 hours. if you believe your time is worth over $1.80 an hour, it's a no brainer.


There's also the option of taking the time to learn how to use a computer properly and just not getting any virus. If you're getting lots of viruses, the issue isn't with the PC, it's with you.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:42 pm

It's also not difficult to remove most malware. Get malwarebytes, boot into safemode, run it and it'll get it 80% of the time.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:It's also not difficult to remove most malware. Get malwarebytes, boot into safemode, run it and it'll get it 80% of the time.


I only found it effective 78% of the time.

clseller
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:53 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby clseller » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:22 pm

beach_terror wrote:It's also not difficult to remove most malware. Get malwarebytes, boot into safemode, run it and it'll get it 80% of the time.



Or just system restore to the point before the malware or virus got into the computer. Works 100% of the time unless you have no previous restore points or your computer has a problem restoring.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote:It's also not difficult to remove most malware. Get malwarebytes, boot into safemode, run it and it'll get it 80% of the time.


I only found it effective 78% of the time.

:lol:

I'm sure the other 20% aint hurtin' nobody! Good to go!!

burvowski
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby burvowski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 pm

What are you guys installing all the time that gets you malware and viruses? I haven't turned my PC off since October and I have had 0 viruses. Just know what you're installing and where it came from before you click anything and you don't have to worry about a thing. If you get asked to install some sort of magical browser toolbar to help with searching or browsing the web, then ignore it. With the nature of the way Windows is written now, viruses don't just spontaneously appear, but only get into the system through user-error. It's not Windows' fault you're getting viruses and malware.
Last edited by burvowski on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:30 pm

burvowski wrote:What are you guys installing all the time that gets you malware and viruses?


I bet it involves hot schoolgirls.

burvowski
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby burvowski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:31 pm

Anyone who does't use streaming sites for their porn is asking for a virus, then.

I know this might come as a shocker but ads and pop-ups aren't there for your benefit and convenience, they're there into tricking you into visiting sketchy sites.
Last edited by burvowski on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:35 pm

burvowski wrote:Anyone who does't use streaming sites for their porn is asking for a virus, then.

Um... links please? :oops:

burvowski
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby burvowski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
burvowski wrote:Anyone who does't use streaming sites for their porn is asking for a virus, then.

Um... links please? :oops:


I would say Google it, but you all will just end up in virus-filled sites.... :lol:

check out spankwire

that should be enough to get you started

While there, I can't believe I have to post this...but if you get some sort of magical popup that lists your city and has a girl telling you she's very interested in you, IT's NOT REAL, IT'S A TRICK! YOU WILL GET MALWARE

the future of our legal profession on these boards...sigh.... :oops:

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:42 pm

burvowski wrote:
that should be enough to get you started




Actually, it will probably be enough to finish.

User avatar
Billy Blanks
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Billy Blanks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:53 pm

burvowski wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
burvowski wrote:Anyone who does't use streaming sites for their porn is asking for a virus, then.

Um... links please? :oops:


I would say Google it, but you all will just end up in virus-filled sites.... :lol:

check out spankwire

that should be enough to get you started

While there, I can't believe I have to post this...but if you get some sort of magical popup that lists your city and has a girl telling you she's very interested in you, IT's NOT REAL, IT'S A TRICK! YOU WILL GET MALWARE

the future of our legal profession on these boards...sigh.... :oops:


But on the MBP the women are actually real. That's the difference. Windows+"Meet Sexy Singles Tonight"=viruses, MBP+"Meet Sexy Singles Tonight"=no crashes.

burvowski
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby burvowski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:54 pm

I would use the money saved on a PC on hookers and blow.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 pm

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote:It's also not difficult to remove most malware. Get malwarebytes, boot into safemode, run it and it'll get it 80% of the time.


I only found it effective 78% of the time.


+\- 2% :) .. But seriously, for my brief stint in IT.. this worked like 4/5 times, hence the 80%.

nbp
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby nbp » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Any T410 or T510 users out there with any feedback for those of us on the fence?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 pm

whatever you do... DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!!! From my personal expereince their customer service and support is horrendous... 5 business days to get the box... 5 business days to get it sent to India ( where they do the work) 15-20 business days ( 3-4 weeks) for them to look at it.... one phone call to say it wasn't under warrenty ( the keys fell off, and the webcam speakers don't work- so if you want it fixed itll cost 350) and oops by the way, your hardrive got deleated...
I forgot to tell you, I purchased it 10 months ago.
So for a month of my time, I got a broken and empty computer...

now I get to experience the joy of spending another grand on a laptop... Thanks Dell, you're Swell....

and to send a complaint to customer service is redicolous ( I would call, but I can't udnerstand them at all.) None of their e-mails work.. I wrote to 20 people, and all of the e-mails came back " unable to deliver to sender"

Yup, Yup.... I got played by dell.... and it wasn't fun

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 pm

northwood wrote:whatever you do... DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!!! From my personal expereince their customer service and support is horrendous... 5 business days to get the box... 5 business days to get it sent to India ( where they do the work) 15-20 business days ( 3-4 weeks) for them to look at it.... one phone call to say it wasn't under warrenty ( the keys fell off, and the webcam speakers don't work- so if you want it fixed itll cost 350) and oops by the way, your hardrive got deleated...
I forgot to tell you, I purchased it 10 months ago.
So for a month of my time, I got a broken and empty computer...

now I get to experience the joy of spending another grand on a laptop... Thanks Dell, you're Swell....

and to send a complaint to customer service is redicolous ( I would call, but I can't udnerstand them at all.) None of their e-mails work.. I wrote to 20 people, and all of the e-mails came back " unable to deliver to sender"

Yup, Yup.... I got played by dell.... and it wasn't fun

Um... duh.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:28 am

northwood wrote:whatever you do... DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!!! From my personal expereince their customer service and support is horrendous... 5 business days to get the box... 5 business days to get it sent to India ( where they do the work) 15-20 business days ( 3-4 weeks) for them to look at it.... one phone call to say it wasn't under warrenty ( the keys fell off, and the webcam speakers don't work- so if you want it fixed itll cost 350) and oops by the way, your hardrive got deleated...
I forgot to tell you, I purchased it 10 months ago.
So for a month of my time, I got a broken and empty computer...

now I get to experience the joy of spending another grand on a laptop... Thanks Dell, you're Swell....

and to send a complaint to customer service is redicolous ( I would call, but I can't udnerstand them at all.) None of their e-mails work.. I wrote to 20 people, and all of the e-mails came back " unable to deliver to sender"

Yup, Yup.... I got played by dell.... and it wasn't fun


I've had great experiences with Dell's customer service. I worked IT for my undergrad, and we had a contract with Dell. Average turn around time for anything was roughly a business week. It sounds like you got your system sent to the depot. Never do that, always say you've isolated the problem and just need parts or an on-site tech (assuming you have the warranty for the onsite techs).

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Duralex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Dell's corporate service is different. You have assigned reps, who want to keep you happy -- especially if you have a long purchasing history, etc. Outside of that world, I will tirelessly reiterate my advice to avoid Dell (and HP) laptops. Even in that world there are better options.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Duralex wrote:Dell's corporate service is different. You have assigned reps, who want to keep you happy -- especially if you have a long purchasing history, etc. Outside of that world, I will tirelessly reiterate my advice to avoid Dell (and HP) laptops. Even in that world there are better options.


No, we didn't have assigned reps. We went through their online chat service and dealt with random technicians, like anyone else would.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby HBK » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:49 pm

What's the difference between T, X, SL, and whatever the other models are for Lenovo?

Are there build differences? Certain models to avoid?

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Duralex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Duralex wrote:Dell's corporate service is different. You have assigned reps, who want to keep you happy -- especially if you have a long purchasing history, etc. Outside of that world, I will tirelessly reiterate my advice to avoid Dell (and HP) laptops. Even in that world there are better options.


No, we didn't have assigned reps. We went through their online chat service and dealt with random technicians, like anyone else would.


You were still dealing with the SMB operation, at the very least. Machines sold through the business side have different service tags than those sold through educational and consumer sides, IIRC.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests