Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nascent

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby nascent » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:39 pm

Hmm... Now that Apple is having back-to-school promotion, would getting a mbp be a smart choice since basically for $1000 you are getting mbp and ipod touch? I'm just saying this because I've been reading this thread and most of those who support pc over mac states that mac is simply too over priced. Now that we can get mbp for $800 ($1000 - cost of ipod touch), do you think it's worth the price compared to PCs with similar specs?

I've been a PC user for my entire life, but when I checked out my friend's mac, I thought that the texts on the screen seemed easier on my eyes. Was this only a figment of my imagination? So far, the only reason why I'm leaning on mbp is because of its battery life, screen that's easier on my eyes (if it's true), and simply because I want to try something new since my current Toshiba that I had for only 2 years is having a hard disk failure... I'm having hard time deciding whether spending $1000 is worth the change or should I just get another cheap laptop and hope that it won't have any problems like my current Toshiba is having.

sayan

Postby sayan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:09 am

anyone read about the x201 from lenovo?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:59 am

nascent wrote:Hmm... Now that Apple is having back-to-school promotion, would getting a mbp be a smart choice since basically for $1000 you are getting mbp and ipod touch? I'm just saying this because I've been reading this thread and most of those who support pc over mac states that mac is simply too over priced. Now that we can get mbp for $800 ($1000 - cost of ipod touch), do you think it's worth the price compared to PCs with similar specs?

I've been a PC user for my entire life, but when I checked out my friend's mac, I thought that the texts on the screen seemed easier on my eyes. Was this only a figment of my imagination? So far, the only reason why I'm leaning on mbp is because of its battery life, screen that's easier on my eyes (if it's true), and simply because I want to try something new since my current Toshiba that I had for only 2 years is having a hard disk failure... I'm having hard time deciding whether spending $1000 is worth the change or should I just get another cheap laptop and hope that it won't have any problems like my current Toshiba is having.

Keep in mind that you'll need to pay the $199 for the iPod up front. It's only free once the rebate arrives. With the $100 student discount, you're still forking over $1299 then.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:25 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:49 am

Chupavida wrote:And for resale value, it might be worth paying the extra hundred for the next-gen ipod. The 8gb touches are a dime-a-dozen these days.

Check Craigslist, YMMV.

I need a new ipod. Do you think I could get the latest one with a deal with the promotion by apple?

sammyb

Postby sammyb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:05 am

Hey guys,

I haven't been threw the numerous threads on here so I apologize if this is a repeat, but I was shopping around for a new laptop last year before my 1L year (because my computer was stolen) and had the same questions, etc so I figured I'd share my wisdom.

I chose a Dell Studio 15in' with a 9-cell battery, 3 year extensive warranty, lo jack (in case this one gets stolen, too), windows vista upgrade, microsoft home and student edition, 4 GB, blah blah basically every upgrade possible for about $1,250.

I had really wanted an apple but to get the same specs it would have easily been over $2,000 oh and that apple care protection plan they have you buy? doesn't cover accidental damage coverage, though everyone seems to think it does. I spoke to three Apple reps about it and the way they sell it is by assuring you that Macs have really good hardware so even if you accidentally cause damage it wouldn't be that bad. well that wasn't good enough for me so I went with the Dell.

I had a Dell all throughout college and I never had a problem. My studio has been great for the past year. My warranty plan rocks, too, whenever I've had the slightest problem they send me new hardware and call back within a week to make sure I received it. Plus I'm abroad and my warranty allows me to go to Dell places abroad if I have a problem. All in all, I'm very happy.

I'm not tech friendly, so that wasn't a consideration for me but for school, etc it's been great. I'd encourage you to check out Dells. Hope that helps! Good luck and happy shopping!

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:29 am

JOThompson wrote:
nascent wrote:Hmm... Now that Apple is having back-to-school promotion, would getting a mbp be a smart choice since basically for $1000 you are getting mbp and ipod touch? I'm just saying this because I've been reading this thread and most of those who support pc over mac states that mac is simply too over priced. Now that we can get mbp for $800 ($1000 - cost of ipod touch), do you think it's worth the price compared to PCs with similar specs?

Keep in mind that you'll need to pay the $199 for the iPod up front. It's only free once the rebate arrives. With the $100 student discount, you're still forking over $1299 then.

um...but then you turn in the rebate, and then you get the $199 back. so yeah the iPod's still free. unless you don't turn in the rebate.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 am

sammyb wrote:Hey guys,

I haven't been threw the numerous threads on here so I apologize if this is a repeat, but I was shopping around for a new laptop last year before my 1L year (because my computer was stolen) and had the same questions, etc so I figured I'd share my wisdom.

I chose a Dell Studio 15in' with a 9-cell battery, 3 year extensive warranty, lo jack (in case this one gets stolen, too), windows vista upgrade, microsoft home and student edition, 4 GB, blah blah basically every upgrade possible for about $1,250.

I had really wanted an apple but to get the same specs it would have easily been over $2,000 oh and that apple care protection plan they have you buy? doesn't cover accidental damage coverage, though everyone seems to think it does. I spoke to three Apple reps about it and the way they sell it is by assuring you that Macs have really good hardware so even if you accidentally cause damage it wouldn't be that bad. well that wasn't good enough for me so I went with the Dell.

I had a Dell all throughout college and I never had a problem. My studio has been great for the past year. My warranty plan rocks, too, whenever I've had the slightest problem they send me new hardware and call back within a week to make sure I received it. Plus I'm abroad and my warranty allows me to go to Dell places abroad if I have a problem. All in all, I'm very happy.

I'm not tech friendly, so that wasn't a consideration for me but for school, etc it's been great. I'd encourage you to check out Dells. Hope that helps! Good luck and happy shopping!

You should have went with Windows 7. Did you save any money by sticking with Vista?

nascent

Postby nascent » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 pm

goblue1646 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

um...but then you turn in the rebate, and then you get the $199 back. so yeah the iPod's still free. unless you don't turn in the rebate.

Like goblue said, I said $800 because that's how much mbp would cost in the end after all the rebates... Yeah it's going to cost me 1299 up front and they may use those extra cash for a while for investing and what not, but in the end, I will get my 200 back and I would have both mbp and touch... Unless they wait for months to give me back my rebate back, I'm tempted to say that this is a good deal.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Does that $800 for the MBP include the warranty (sans accident protection)? It's a good deal for a Mac, but $800 could get you a comparable laptop that includes a warranty that covers drops and spills. I just don't want a laptop that I have to baby (which I see around campus with all the tacky plastic covers on Macs), and would rather just have a laptop I can treat like shit and not feel bad about it.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:03 pm

I have finally made up my mind on the aluminum metal version of the HP dv6t http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... =C&topnav=

Selling my Desktop for the same exact price to cover most of its cost
--LinkRemoved--

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:39 pm

That's a damn good deal for a gaming PC.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:06 pm

burvowski wrote:That's a damn good deal for a gaming PC.

I don't really care that my Gaming PC's current market value is over $2k, or that I spent 2.4 k to build it. I just want to get the $799 fast to buy that nice laptop while Costco still has it for sale.

I mean Costco's "Select edition" has an aluminum shell, i5, 4 gb ram, 640 gb HD, 2 year warranty, and dedicated switching graphics.

nascent

Postby nascent » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 pm

burvowski wrote:Does that $800 for the MBP include the warranty (sans accident protection)? It's a good deal for a Mac, but $800 could get you a comparable laptop that includes a warranty that covers drops and spills. I just don't want a laptop that I have to baby (which I see around campus with all the tacky plastic covers on Macs), and would rather just have a laptop I can treat like shit and not feel bad about it.

I just read that the Applecare warranty doesn't cover accidental damages... Now I'm back rethinking about PCs... The only reason why I was thinking about a mac was because I saw how smooth everything was without lagging like my Toshiba. Then again, I purchased my Toshiba for $400ish and it has 1 gig ram and pitiful specs to run Vista.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:01 pm

nascent wrote:
burvowski wrote:Does that $800 for the MBP include the warranty (sans accident protection)? It's a good deal for a Mac, but $800 could get you a comparable laptop that includes a warranty that covers drops and spills. I just don't want a laptop that I have to baby (which I see around campus with all the tacky plastic covers on Macs), and would rather just have a laptop I can treat like shit and not feel bad about it.

I just read that the Applecare warranty doesn't cover accidental damages... Now I'm back rethinking about PCs... The only reason why I was thinking about a mac was because I saw how smooth everything was without lagging like my Toshiba. Then again, I purchased my Toshiba for $400ish and it has 1 gig ram and pitiful specs to run Vista.

Bolded the main problem. Vista is sluggish even on decently specced computers.

sammyb

Postby sammyb » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:21 am

burvowski wrote:
sammyb wrote:Hey guys,

You should have went with Windows 7. Did you save any money by sticking with Vista?

It actually came with a free Windows 7 upgrade, I bought it last August so it wasn't available yet, they just sent me the software later on which was pretty cool

bagosian

Postby bagosian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:17 am

Picked up a used Macbook Pro 13" off of a friend who wanted to upgrade to the newer 2010 model MacBook Pros. Did I do okay for $700?

Specs:
Processor 065-8489 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 065-8491 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM-2x1GB
Hard Drive 065-8495 160GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
Optical Drive 065-8501 SuperDrive 8X DL

I'm debating upgrading the Ram to 4gb for Bootcamp (SofTest requires booting up into Bootcamp to complete exams). Plus I'll be trying to figure out OneNote for note-taking purposes.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:29 am

bagosian wrote:Did I do okay for $700?

As in, was the computer worth enough to you to purchase at $700? Apparently, because you bought it. If it hadn't been, you wouldn't have bought it. Seems like Econ 101 to me.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 am

off topic a little but what is the best external hd right now??? I am looking for a 1tb

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:00 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
placencia wrote:Lots of very informative text ...

Great post! This is actually one thread that I don't mind a wall of text from time to time.

Seconded, THANK YOU! As someone who really doesn't know much of anything about computers but is looking to get a new laptop for law school I really appreciate you're taking the time to break it down and make some sense of it for us!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 am

I finally decided on my laptop:

Lenovo G460

System components
#
Intel® Core™ i3-350M Processor ( 2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MB )
#
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
#
Intel HD Graphics
#
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
#
14.0" WXGA LED Backlight TFT 1366x768
#
Industry Standard Touchpad
#
500GB 5400
#
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
#
6 Cell Lithium-Ion

all for just $600. :mrgreen: There is a $200 off coupon on notebookreview.com that sealed the deal. I really dont need an i5 processor (although it would be nice), and this bad boy will be solely for law school. My other laptop (a 17" workhorse) will be my 'gaming' laptop. Pretty excited.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:40 am

SAOJD10 wrote:off topic a little but what is the best external hd right now??? I am looking for a 1tb

the one with the longest warranty. Western Digital or Seagate are the companies you want to look at. I prefer WD, but both have similar warranties

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 am

SAOJD10 wrote:off topic a little but what is the best external hd right now??? I am looking for a 1tb

I got a WD off Amazon for $90, free shipping.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:45 am

I like ones that let me stream my movies straight to my Ps3 and back up stuff from any computer on my network: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822186160

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”