Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
burvowski

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby burvowski » Wed May 19, 2010 1:50 pm

^ ah, thanks broski

For those of you who have working laptops right now and could get away with waiting a year or so to buy one, I would. Laptops with Intel's new Light Peak data transfer tech (which will replace USB, DVI, HDMI, etc) will probably be out by the end of 2010. Plus, blu-ray drives and SSDs will be much more common too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed May 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Eh. I've had that sentiment before, and I don't think it helps in the long run

There's always a new and better technology right around the corner. Once the new technology comes out, then you'll have to wait for it to come down in price and become widely available. By the time that happens, there will be something else on the bleeding edge coming down the pipeline.

For most of our purposes, there really isn't a need to wait. That said, if you have a computer that runs fine, there's really no reason to upgrade for note-taking and test-taking applications.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 pm

burvowski wrote:^ ah, thanks broski

For those of you who have working laptops right now and could get away with waiting a year or so to buy one, I would. Laptops with Intel's new Light Peak data transfer tech (which will replace USB, DVI, HDMI, etc) will probably be out by the end of 2010. Plus, blu-ray drives and SSDs will be much more common too

missinglink wrote:Eh. I've had that sentiment before, and I don't think it helps in the long run

There's always a new and better technology right around the corner. Once the new technology comes out, then you'll have to wait for it to come down in price and become widely available. By the time that happens, there will be something else on the bleeding edge coming down the pipeline.

For most of our purposes, there really isn't a need to wait. That said, if you have a computer that runs fine, there's really no reason to upgrade for note-taking and test-taking applications.

More or less. By the time Light Peak becomes mainstream and fully able to be used, it'll be time for to upgrade anyway. I don't plan to do any heavy file-transferring and I've decided to hold off on a SSD purchase since I'm a bit wary of not having TRIM support. That certainly puts the 10gb/day transfer of [strike]pr0n[/strike] movies out of the picture.

On top of all that, you can't forget that having one piece of bleeding edge technology shouldn't be the only reason for buying a specific laptop. The HP Envy 2nd gen as one example was the first to have USB 3.0. But after a week, a lot of the hype surrounding the HP Envy kinda died down as owners realized (1) The one and only 3.0 slot really wasn't a big deal as there weren't too many USB 3.0-capable advices available in the market (2) It was and is heavier than they'd imagined and (3) Some, though not as many 1st gen owners, are still experiencing lingering heating issues.

If USB 3.0 had been such a big deal, I would've opted for the Envy a long time ago. Now I'm with my Mac for 3 years or more.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Wed May 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed May 19, 2010 5:26 pm

You don't need Blu-Ray, YouTube has HD now.

Steve
Sent from my iPad

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed May 19, 2010 5:44 pm

superflush wrote:

Steve
Sent from my iPad

I need Blu-ray to [strike]rip[/strike] watch all those movies I [strike]steal[/strike] rent from netflix.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Chupavida wrote:No TRIM support isn't the end of the world since:

Performance degradation with a good drive is negligible compared to overall performance gains.

You can reformat/reset a drive if you're tech oriented enough to care about such things anyway.

And it's only a matter of time before Apple builds an implementation of something like TRIM into OSX anyway, likely through a software update that would retroactively pimp your hardware.

Myself, I'll be using an 80Gb Intel X25-M as an OS drive in the 15" I'll buy for the fall, with the stock 500gb as a secondary drive installed in an optical drive bay adapter. Best of both worlds for minimal cost.

Yeah, I've heard it'll probably just require inserting a command line into the update or something like that.

My other reason is also budget concerns. I'll be literally at $0.00 after I've finished paying my apartment security deposit and buying all the furniture. Food, books, and other goodies are getting charged straight onto credit card. :x

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Matthies wrote:
superflush wrote:

Steve
Sent from my iPad

I need Blu-ray to [strike]rip[/strike] watch all those movies I [strike]steal[/strike] rent from netflix.

- Sent from my Droid

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed May 19, 2010 7:13 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
superflush wrote:

Steve
Sent from my iPad

- Sent from my Droid

Don't quote that I'm going to be alwyer in like 27 hours!

- Sent from my Iphone 4G I found at a bar in Redwood City last month

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm

Congratz. Did you just make associate or partner?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu May 20, 2010 12:17 pm

zeth006 wrote:Congratz. Did you just make associate or partner?

Just got sworn in, but I think I'll skip associate and partner and go straight to Judge

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Matthies wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Congratz. Did you just make associate or partner?

Just got sworn in, but I think I'll skip associate and partner and go straight to Judge

Haha, awesome.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Thu May 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Thu May 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Decals don't work on non-Macs? News to me.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Fri May 21, 2010 1:50 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 1:58 am

I hate this thread. It always pops up on the main screen. What could be more boring than talking about what laptop to buy for law school for 29 freaking pages? Die thread. That is all.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Fri May 21, 2010 10:34 am

I know! It is extremley difficult to simply avoid clicking on this thread! The agony!!!! :roll:

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 10:37 am

burvowski wrote:I know! It is extremley difficult to simply avoid clicking on this thread! The agony!!!! :roll:

When you're bored and you use TLS for your entertainment (yeah, that's right, that is what my life has become) you get pissy when all you see is "Iowa 2010," "Florida 2010," "Living alone," "how do I buy books," and "what is the best laptop for law school" on the front page everytime you refresh.

This just goes to show that the majority of law students and future law students are mindnumbingly boring.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Fri May 21, 2010 10:43 am

A'nold wrote:When you're bored and you use TLS for your entertainment (yeah, that's right, that is what my life has become) you get pissy when all you see is "Iowa 2010," "Florida 2010," "Living alone," "how do I buy books," and "what is the best laptop for law school" on the front page everytime you refresh.

This just goes to show that the majority of law students and future law students are mindnumbingly boring.

*Wonders if the fact that A'nold chooses to reply to this boring thread instead of creating a new and exciting one indicates that he too is mindnumbingly boring.*

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:54 am

A'nold wrote:
burvowski wrote:I know! It is extremley difficult to simply avoid clicking on this thread! The agony!!!! :roll:

When you're bored and you use TLS for your entertainment (yeah, that's right, that is what my life has become) you get pissy when all you see is "Iowa 2010," "Florida 2010," "Living alone," "how do I buy books," and "what is the best laptop for law school" on the front page everytime you refresh.

Hey, "living alone" is my thread!

I agree though. I'm bored out of my mind right now, and this site has nothing to remedy it. We need more random ass chat threads or something.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 am

A'nold wrote:

This just goes to show that the majority of law students and future law students and lawyers are mindnumbingly boring.

fixed

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:34 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Hey, "living alone" is my thread!

I agree though. I'm bored out of my mind right now, and this site has nothing to remedy it. We need more random ass chat threads or something.

Visit the lounge. Plenty of lolz these days.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Fri May 21, 2010 7:06 pm

TLS irc room FTW?

vexion

Postby vexion » Fri May 21, 2010 7:26 pm

burvowski wrote:TLS irc room FTW?

This exists?

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Fri May 21, 2010 8:38 pm