Best Law School Laptop for the Money

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jay-Electronica

Re: Best Law School Laptop for the Money

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun May 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Can someone please walk me through how to install and run OneNote on a mac via crossover

I have downloaded crossover and I have tried to install onenote and office 2007 to no avail. I have no clue what to do here. Any techies wanna help a brotha out? PM is fine

edit: ive tried to install this thing twice, I have like 4 bottles lol I have no clue what im doing

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:29 pm

Jay-Electronica wrote:Can someone please walk me through how to install and run OneNote on a mac via crossover

I have downloaded crossover and I have tried to install onenote and office 2007 to no avail. I have no clue what to do here. Any techies wanna help a brotha out? PM is fine

edit: ive tried to install this thing twice, I have like 4 bottles lol I have no clue what im doing

It's been some time since I installed it, so this is just the rough idea.

First, get rid of all your "bottles." Delete them if you can. Get rid of any Office 07 installations so you can start afresh. Then open up CO, select Office 2007, then guide CO to your Office 2007's DVD's or folder's setup file and let it install for you. The installation bar will stall for a long time. That doesn't mean it's frozen. Just leave your laptop where it is for an hour, and go do something else during that time.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun May 16, 2010 5:36 pm

I think I see now. I have office 08 installed on my mac. So do I guide CO to those files or do I need to get a windows version of office for it to install from?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Jay-Electronica wrote:I think I see now. I have office 08 installed on my mac. So do I guide CO to those files or do I need to get a windows version of office for it to install from?

You don't need CO to install Office 08 on your Mac. You're supposed to use CO for installing Windows-only programs that won't run in OSX natively. One such program is OneNote which runs only on Office 2007. If you wish to use OneNote during LS, then you use CO to install Office 07.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun May 16, 2010 6:02 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Jay-Electronica wrote:I think I see now. I have office 08 installed on my mac. So do I guide CO to those files or do I need to get a windows version of office for it to install from?

You don't need CO to install Office 08 on your Mac. You're supposed to use CO for installing Windows-only programs that won't run in OSX natively. One such program is OneNote which runs only on Office 2007. If you wish to use OneNote during LS, then you use CO to install Office 07.

I understand that, but when I choose to install office 2007 it asks me to select an installer either a file or a folder to use as an installer disc. Thats where I get lost on what to do. I just deleted all of the bottles I had but Im still not getting anywhere. Either one I chose it says it failed to find an installer. What am I doing wrong?

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun May 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Wait.
Office for Mac doesn't include 1 note. So you can use office for Mac without using crossover, vmware, or parallels.
However, if you want OneNote you need Office for Windows or the Office 2010 online.
Hope that makes sense.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun May 16, 2010 6:07 pm

superflush wrote:Wait.
Office for Mac doesn't include 1 note. So you can use office for Mac without using crossover, vmware, or parallels.
However, if you want OneNote you need Office for Windows or the Office 2010 online.
Hope that makes sense.

I know I can use office for mac without crossover. I have that. Im not that far out of the loop haha.

The 2nd part, however, is what I was trying to find out. I have crossover in stalled and I didnt know if I needed to downloaded the windows version of office to install onenote off of or not or if crossover just installed office 2007 itself.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun May 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Jay-Electronica wrote:The 2nd part, however, is what I was trying to find out. I have crossover in stalled and I didnt know if I needed to downloaded the windows version of office to install onenote off of or not or if crossover just installed office 2007 itself.

You generally don't just buy OneNote. Do you have Office 2097 already?
You might be able to get it cheap through your school, or here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Jay-Electronica wrote:
superflush wrote:Wait.
Hope that makes sense.

I know I can use office for mac without crossover. I have that. Im not that far out of the loop haha.

The 2nd part, however, is what I was trying to find out. I have crossover in stalled and I didnt know if I needed to downloaded the windows version of office to install onenote off of or not or if crossover just installed office 2007 itself.

Ok. Maybe I'm not being clear enough.

Office 2007 - Windows only. It comes with OneNote

Office 2008 - Mac only. It DOESN'T come with OneNote

If you want to use OneNote and don't already have it, get in on the Office 2007 SuperFlush just posted. If you buy it now, you become eligible for a free upgrade to Office 2010 which will also come with OneNote 2010.

Make sense?

So answer yes or no. Do you already have a Office 07? If so, when it asks you for a file or folder, go to the DVD files, and select the setup/setup.exe file. The rest is cakewalk.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun May 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Yea we had a bit of a mis-communication there. I know the mac office suite did not come with onenote. I wasnt clear on what I needed to do to get onenote installed. Its clear now. I didnt know that I needed the program, I thought CO installed it.

I have an iso file of office 2007, I will try to install off of that.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sun May 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Mac's = overlly complicated to run the good softwarz

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun May 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Got It working!!!! Yay!

The iso did the trick.

Thx for the suggestions

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun May 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Any suggestions how to run OneNote on a Mac???

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun May 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Any suggestions how to run OneNote on a Mac???

Read the last couple pages. I just installed onenote on my mac via crossover. Works like a charm

Get office 2007 and crossover 9. I dont endorse using torrents or any of the like because that wouldnt be the right thing to do. Once you have *cough* purchased them its pretty intuitive from there (although you wouldnt be able to tell from my last couple posts) lol. Enjoy.

Also, for all you mac users I suggest you download a program called cinch. It allow you to work off of 2 windows on one screen. Also get an organizer app like "things" or "evernote" and maybe some of the omnigroup stuff (outliner, plan, etc)

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Matthies wrote:Mac's = overlly complicated to run the good softwarz

Not really.

For OneNote:

1. Install CO

2. Direct CO to Office 07, then install Office 07

I'm not even computer saavy

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Mon May 17, 2010 10:55 am

What does OneNote offer for note-taking over Word?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Any suggestions how to run OneNote on a Mac???

Yes, one, buy a PC

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Mon May 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Has anyone heard any rumors as to when Apple will be updating their macbooks? I just have this nightmare that if I decided to go apple then the day after I buy it they will announce they are upgrading in the next week or two.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Mon May 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Torvon wrote:Has anyone heard any rumors as to when Apple will be updating their macbooks? I just have this nightmare that if I decided to go apple then the day after I buy it they will announce they are upgrading in the next week or two.

New one should be arriving shortly.

--LinkRemoved--

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue May 18, 2010 3:13 am

Torvon wrote:Has anyone heard any rumors as to when Apple will be updating their macbooks? I just have this nightmare that if I decided to go apple then the day after I buy it they will announce they are upgrading in the next week or two.

They just updated the MBPs

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue May 18, 2010 4:44 am

superflush wrote:

They just updated the MBPs

Oh, and if you happened to be talking about the white Macbook, then, right about now: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/18/macb ... -official/

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Tue May 18, 2010 11:05 am

superflush wrote:Oh, and if you happened to be talking about the white Macbook, then, right about now: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/18/macb ... -official/

Looks pretty nice. I am thinking this may be the way I go when they begin to offer their student discounts.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:04 pm

The Macbook Pro lines just got a refresh.

The two Macs I'd bet on getting a refresh are the Macbook Air and the white Macbook.

Go update your slickdeals alerts so you don't miss out on future deals.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue May 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Anyone have the Dell Studio16 XPS?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”